Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Math & Physics
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Math & Physics Mathematical and physical problems of space flight and astronomy.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #46
Thorsten
Orbinaut

Okay, the regression seems fairly minor, so I won't make a special bugfix release and just fix it in the next version.

Thanks for everyone's patience!
Thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #47
Donamy
Beta Tester

Is this available for Orbiter or is this for Flight Gear ?
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #48
Thorsten
Orbinaut

It's a stand-alone C++ program - you can use it for whatever purpose you like (I suppose someone could even wrap it into an Orbiter MFD if so desired).

I have benchmarked it against JSBSim, but I have no reason to suspect it would not capture the Orbiter numerics with decent precision as well.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #49
Wolf
Donator

Would it be possible to release some instructions on how to install and use this tool with Orbiter? Maybe a mini tutorial?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #50
Thorsten
Orbinaut

Thanks to Face, we're providing a Windows executable. I've not tried it under Windows, but I guess you put it into a directory, put the config file into the same directory, open a command prompt, change into the directory and type something

leo_targeting <configfile>.cfg

all output is either written on-screen or into a file in the same directory (if you want to do plots).

(Since Face evidently got it to run under Win, maybe he can correct anything I'm saying wrong here...) I'm only using it under Linux with gnuplot or xmgrace for doing the plots. Under Windows I guess Excel does plots, gnuplot surely is to be had as well,...

As for what to write into the config file, I have this tutorial series.

I'm not sure what Orbiter provides in terms of the state vector, but I'm fairly sure you can get position in (lat/lon/alt) format, a course, velocity and vertical speed if you want to specify a state.
Thanked by:
Old 01-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #51
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post
 I've not tried it under Windows, but I guess you put it into a directory, put the config file into the same directory, open a command prompt, change into the directory and type something

leo_targeting <configfile>.cfg

all output is either written on-screen or into a file in the same directory (if you want to do plots).
Yes, this is how I use it. It is a normal Windows command-line application. The *.cfg defines what files are created, and after the program ran through, you can import the 2D files into Excel to do an XY plot diagram. For some 3D animated data I have used Python under Windows with matplotlib and a small script (posted here before).
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #52
Thorsten
Orbinaut

I forgot to say:

If there's some format/option/... I can add to make this more useful with Orbiter, please let me know. So far most active users of this are on the FG side, so naturally the feedback is a bit biased.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Math & Physics