Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:28 PM   #16
Hlynkacg
Aspiring rocket scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielor View Post
 Why not just rotate the entire world?
I experimented with rotating the spacecraft along with the camera to correct for off axis movements but it wrought havoc with things like docking-ports and touchdown points.
Hlynkacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #17
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlynkacg View Post
 orbiter does not allow you to define camera rotation axes
I used to reply to such statements by releasing add-ons that do the supposed impossible... Times sure have changed.

The idea is that if you can't convince someone to do things, then knock him out and convince him via brain surgery.

In case of orbiter, it stores camera parameters in it's memory image, and they are not too hard to find once you trace the various camera setting API calls.
Once found, just write to the setting directly, bypassing the API.
That's how i made TelescopeMFD, for example.

However, i don't see how it could help - you would need a graphics client to add VR support anyway, and a client can define it's own camera, so why bother?
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:14 PM   #18
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
The idea is that if you can't convince someone to do things, then knock him out and convince him via brain surgery.
Remind me never to do anything to be targeted for 'convincing' by you!
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:48 PM   #19
jangofett287
Heat shield 'tester'

If this camera stuff doesn't work right, how does the trackIR plugin work?
jangofett287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:12 PM   #20
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangofett287 View Post
 If this camera stuff doesn't work right, how does the trackIR plugin work?
The TrackIR plugin doesn't allow you to rotate your head around the z-axis AFAIK, so it doesn't run into the issue.
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:43 AM   #21
RacerX
Donator

Apollo 11 interactive tour from the smithsonian with VR downloads, 3d print models
http://3d.si.edu/apollo11cm/
If you haven't seen it yet its pretty cool
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:26 AM   #22
unknown_orbiter
Orbital Mystery

I'm currently in communication with the developer of FlyInside (https://flyinside-fsx.com/), and it's looking like I can have a graphics client ready to go quite quickly and easily which COULD define its own camera.
unknown_orbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #23
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown_orbiter View Post
 I'm strongly considering developing virtual reality (e.g. Vive, Rift, etc.) compatibility with Orbiter.

Is there anything in the works for this already, or is there interest to start such a project?
Are those things D3D9 compatible ? Btw, what's the visible fov without moving a neck ?
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #24
innovine
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4throck View Post
 Is anyone really using such devices?
Reminds me a bit of "3D glasses" from a few years back.

Once you put on a VR headset, how do you see the mouse and keyboard?
Orbiter relies on those.

Don't take me wrong, playing a bit of devils advocate here
Why not reach out and touch the buttons?

https://www.leapmotion.com/

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

I have been experimenting a bit with UE4 and my Vive headset, and have made a few simple cockpits in VR with interactive buttons. This is reasonably easy using Blender for modelling and UE4 for vive support and the button logic.

However, one thing UE4 is bad at is large worlds (over 20km), and the texture mapping for Earth is done so well in Orbiter beta..

UE4 allows for C++ development (which I haven't done much of). Would it possible to use the Orbiter SDK to render the external view to a cubemapped texture, and to get and set the vessels location and rotation, and just do the cockpit in UE4, using the Orbiter-rendered external view as a skybox?
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:05 PM   #25
unknown_orbiter
Orbital Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 Are those things D3D9 compatible ? Btw, what's the visible fov without moving a neck ?
I'm not certain about D3D9, however the FOV is just shy of your natural FOV. There are of course limitations.
unknown_orbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #26
jangofett287
Heat shield 'tester'

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovine View Post
 Would it possible to use the Orbiter SDK to render the external view to a cubemapped texture, and to get and set the vessels location and rotation, and just do the cockpit in UE4, using the Orbiter-rendered external view as a skybox?
Short Answer: No.
Long Answer: Not in any practical sense.
I thought you could re-write a texture on disk every frame, but that would saturate most disks, and you'd have sync issues.
Then I thought of making some custom code to send the frames directly, but re-writing a screen sized render texture (standard textures can't be modified at run time) would not be at all performant.
Besides, VR UE4 is already taxing enough on the GPU without having to run an entirely separate D3D7/9 renderer. I'm not even sure it could work. VR does weird things to graphics drivers.

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

You could write a module to pipe transforms into UE4, but then you're back to the scale problem.
Thanked by:
Old 12-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #27
Hlynkacg
Aspiring rocket scientist

Pretty sure the only practical way to do this would be as a custom graphics client.
Hlynkacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #28
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Based on what I have understood, Occulus Rift had DX9 support but not anymore. In the D3D9 client we can easily render a split screen stereoscopic view. Besides that, we would need to apply "optical" correction to left and right eye views. Without DX9 support from the device that correction would obviously need to be done on a client side.

So, the question is, If you play current Orbiter with the Vive or Rift then what do you see ? If you half of the view with Left eye and the other half with the right one, then there is hope. Other vice not much.
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #29
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Why not reach out and touch the buttons?
a) Requires even more hardware, signifficantly reducing an already small target audience.

b) the buttons have to be pretty big for this to work conveniently.

I did spend a day at a firends place who has playstation VR, and the motion controlls are really more for generalised actions, and when handling a virtual UI takes very deliberate movements and requires you to have enough time on your hands.

I did however also play the rogue-one VR tech-demo for battlefront, and found that the "look at switch and press a button on your controller" works reasonably well in a virtual cockpit when the actions are not too time critical. Muscle memory starts kicking in pretty fast too.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #30
jangofett287
Heat shield 'tester'

I'm not sure of the exact figure, but Vive's tracking is accurate down to <1cm. With good design a VR cockpit should be doable. The problem is getting the headset display. I'd guess you'd need a d3d11 graphics client first.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development