Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:26 AM   #76
gattispilot
Addon Developer

I don't think so. I will try to compile and get something going. Of course free and open. Free I understand the open not so much.

Well I unzipped into a new folder in the Orbitersdk/samples for 2016. Upgraded the libraries. But can open the files.

Last edited by gattispilot; 10-13-2016 at 01:32 AM.
gattispilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:57 AM   #77
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
 Do the treads move on your crawler DaveS?
Not yet, we haven't got to that yet. All the focus so far has been on making it actually work like the real Crawler, including start up and shut down procedures. I have updated the package to include some operations documentation on the SSU Crawler.

---------- Post added at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattispilot View Post
 I don't think so. I will try to compile and get something going. Of course free and open. Free I understand the open not so much.
Open means that the sources must be available at all times. You cannot distribute any changes without including the source code. Orbiter itself is closed source (The API doesn't count as you can't change Orbiter itself natively with it).

---------- Post added at 03:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 AM ----------

I have updated the source code package with a missed dependency, libUltra as well as a dedicated VC++ 2010 solution.

Last edited by DaveS; 10-13-2016 at 01:40 AM.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:31 AM   #78
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Thanks DaveS,I am looking foward to the next SSU.
Interceptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:59 AM   #79
DaveS
Addon Developer

And here's a nice NASA Behind The Scenes video staring former NASA astronaut Mike Massimino:

DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #80
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
 Do the treads move on your crawler DaveS?
Making the treads move is possible, but a tiny bit complicated. Essentially, we would need to create three animation components for each shoe of the tread. Each tread has 57 shoes, you can group two treads into one animation, means you still have 4 x 57 x 3 animation components to program. At least.

Actually we want to make sure the treads move properly and not suddenly see one shoe overtake the others on the tread. So we better use one animation per tread and split the motion of each tread into multiple segments. I see at least 9 segments there, each could in theory be implemented as either a single rotation or a single translation.

So, we get 4 animations and 4 x (56 x 10 + 57) animation components. or just 2468 animation components. I am pretty sure orbiter can handle it, but I have doubts we can implement this quickly. If somebody wants to implement it for SSU because he wants to see this animation and is willed to pay the price of a few weeks of his lifetime: you are welcome.

(Good news to make the work easier: You can write an algorithm to define the animation components for all shoes of a tread and only need some reference coordinates as input. But you still need to write at least 9 animation components and need to split the initial segment properly for all but the first shoe of a tread, so you get 10 animation segments for those - and of course, all animation components need to be child animation of the animation that moves the track assembly)

EDIT: And this amount of math and geometric thinking is why I never got the motivation to do it myself. Now I have a bad headache.

Last edited by Urwumpe; 10-13-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #81
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Still can't get it to compile.
So what I have done. I made a new folder in Orbiter2016orbitersdk/samples/crawler
Unzip the file. Move the mesh and textures to the correct folders. unzip the Libr

So I copied the touchdown points from the SSU crawler and changed the y value. I get the same effect.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #82
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 So I copied the touchdown points from the SSU crawler and changed the y value. I get the same effect.
Did you read the Orbiter API manual already?
Old 10-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #83
Longjap
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Making the treads move is possible, but a tiny bit complicated. Essentially, we would need to create three animation components for each shoe of the tread. Each tread has 57 shoes, you can group two treads into one animation, means you still have 4 x 57 x 3 animation components to program. At least.

Actually we want to make sure the treads move properly and not suddenly see one shoe overtake the others on the tread. So we better use one animation per tread and split the motion of each tread into multiple segments. I see at least 9 segments there, each could in theory be implemented as either a single rotation or a single translation.

So, we get 4 animations and 4 x (56 x 10 + 57) animation components. or just 2468 animation components. I am pretty sure orbiter can handle it, but I have doubts we can implement this quickly. If somebody wants to implement it for SSU because he wants to see this animation and is willed to pay the price of a few weeks of his lifetime: you are welcome.

(Good news to make the work easier: You can write an algorithm to define the animation components for all shoes of a tread and only need some reference coordinates as input. But you still need to write at least 9 animation components and need to split the initial segment properly for all but the first shoe of a tread, so you get 10 animation segments for those - and of course, all animation components need to be child animation of the animation that moves the track assembly)

EDIT: And this amount of math and geometric thinking is why I never got the motivation to do it myself. Now I have a bad headache.
I know it's not the most visually pleasing solution but can't we make an animation of a texture gliding over one object, the treads? I don't know if it's possible though to animate a .dds. But I do know it's possible to change textures like you did on the SSU ET. So you can change a texture in quick succession to make it look like an animation? Maybe switch the object continuously while moving each with a texture that's slightly moving the texture forward making it look like a moving tread.

Last edited by Longjap; 10-13-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Longjap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #84
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Did you read the Orbiter API manual already?

Yes about touchdown points?

17.57.3.327 voidVESSEL::SetTouchdownPoints( constVECTOR3&pt1, constVECTOR3&pt2, constVECTOR3&pt3 ) const
Defines the three points defining the vessel's ground contact plane.
Deprecated This method has been replaced by VESSEL::SetTouchdownPoints(const TOUCHDOWNVTX∗,DW← ORD)const Parameters pt1 touchdown point of nose wheel (or equivalent) pt2 touchdown point of left main wheel (or equivalent) pt3 touchdown point of right main wheel (or equivalent)
Note
The points are the positions at which the vessel's undercarriage (or equivalent) touches the surface, specified in local vessel coordinates. The order of points is significant since it defines the direction of the normal. The points should be specified such that the cross product pt3-pt1 x pt2-pt1 defines the horizon "up" direction for the landed vessel (given a left-handed coordinate system). Modifying the touchdown points during the simulation while the vessel is on the ground can result in jumps due to instantaneous position changes (infinite acceleration). To avoid this, the
Generated on Wed Aug 24 2016 00:01:08 for Orbiter API by Doxygen
17.57 VESSEL Class Reference 545
touchdown points should be modified gradually by small amounts over time (proportional to simulation time steps). This method is retained only for backward compatibility. Vessels should now use Set← TouchdownPoints(const TOUCHDOWNVTX∗,DWORD)const to define a convex hull of touchdown points. The touchdown stiffness and damping parameters are guessed according to the vessel empty mass. Therefore, SetTouchdownPoints should be called after defining the empty vessel mass with SetEmptyMass.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #85
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Yes, the proper SetTouchDownPoints(const TOUCHDOWNVTX*, DWORD) signature.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #86
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Yes, the proper SetTouchDownPoints(const TOUCHDOWNVTX*, DWORD) signature.
Not sure what you mean.

Code:
static const DWORD ntdvtx_geardown = 3; static TOUCHDOWNVTX tdvtx_geardown[ntdvtx_geardown] = {     { _V(0, -2.866, 10), 1e6, 1e5, 1.6, 0.1 },     { _V(-3.5, -2.866, -1), 1e6, 1e5, 3.0, 0.2 },     { _V(3.5, -2.866, -1), 1e6, 1e5, 3.0, 0.2 },  };
Fred's crawlers tread move.
Sometimes people just want to a vehicle that just drives without all the procedures.

I don't understand why the same mesh loads differently using the same touchdown points.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #87
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 I don't understand why the same mesh loads differently using the same touchdown points.
Have you checked that it is the mesh loads differently before writing it? Like, by activating the markers and axis indicators of Orbiter.

Also, did you check that you really use this function?

And did you use this function AFTER SetEmptyMass or are you changing the empty mass afterwards?
Old 10-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #88
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Have you checked that it is the mesh loads differently before writing it? Like, by activating the markers and axis indicators of Orbiter.

Also, did you check that you really use this function?

And did you use this function AFTER SetEmptyMass or are you changing the empty mass afterwards?

When I get home I can run a scenario with the axis markers.

I meant how the dll is different than the sc4 version. And not sure why when I add this vessel it places it underground.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #89
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Quote:
 Ok. Having touchdown point issues and moving the crawler.

The mesh is oriented correctly

Code:
static const DWORD ntdvtx_geardown = 3;
static TOUCHDOWNVTX tdvtx_geardown[ntdvtx_geardown] = {
    { _V(0, -2.866, 10), 1e6, 1e5, 1.6, 0.1 },
    { _V(-3.5, -2.866, -1), 1e6, 1e5, 3.0, 0.2 },
    { _V(3.5, -2.866, -1), 1e6, 1e5, 3.0, 0.2 },

};
As far as moving it. I just apply thrust in the z direction At (0,0,0)

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

I tried it in Spacecraft4. And it looks good and drives well.

Code:
LAND_PT1=(0,-2.866,17)
LAND_PT2=(-3.96,-2.866,-4.3)
LAND_PT3=(3.96,-2.866,-4.3)
But the dll version using the same touchdown points puts it below the surface

Code:
{ _V(0, -2.866, 17), 1e6, 1e5, 1.6, 0.1 },
    { _V(-3.96, -2.866, -4.3), 1e6, 1e5, 3.0, 0.2 },
    { _V(3.96, -2.866, -4.3), 1e6, 1e5, 3.0, 0.2 },
I just add the slscrawler using scenario editor and place it near the tower.

Code:
slscrawler1:Spacecraft\Spacecraft
  STATUS Landed Earth
  POS -80.6041920 28.6041150
  HEADING 196.75
  ALT 2.690
  AROT -120.972 12.054 171.516
  AFCMODE 7
  NAVFREQ 0 0
  CONFIGURATION 1
  CURRENT_PAYLOAD 0
END
SLSCRAWLER:SLSCRAWLER
  STATUS Landed Earth
  POS -80.6041920 28.6041150
  HEADING 196.75
  ALT -38.808
  AROT 151.085 -8.237 167.777
  AFCMODE 7
  PRPLEVEL 0:1.000000
  NAVFREQ 0 0
END
If I adjust the ALT I can get it above the surface but it facing the wrong direction.
If the crawler looks good,and drives well using spacecraft4,why don't you just use that version?
Interceptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:26 PM   #90
gattispilot
Addon Developer

I have thought about that. By drive well I meant it follows the terrain and the vehicle doesn't flip,... like a dll.

I will try to come out with something.

Of course my mesh is not as detailed as the SSU one

Last edited by gattispilot; 10-13-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development

Tags
em1, hlv, orion mpcv, sls