Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #61
Hlynkacg
Aspiring rocket scientist

I apologize for the lack of updates but work has been slow of late. In the mean time here's a teaser for what I've been working on.

Hlynkacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #62
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

I just stayed up way too late doing a shakedown flight for a Velcro SIVb with a docking port added (for the purpose of making sure I'd gotten the geometry of the docking port more or less right).

I plan to attempt a Manned Venus Flyby with AAPO in the next few days.
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #63
Churchill2004
Orbinaut

I love the textures on this Apollo CSM. It reminds me of the "Ironman One" Apollo depicted in the movie "Marooned"
Churchill2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:15 AM   #64
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

I did a manned Venus flyby with AAPO Sunday night. I wasn't quite sure how to eject the SLA panels, so they're still on the SIVb throughout the flight.

Anyways, I'd been wanting to do a manned Venus flyby for some time, and wasn't sure how easy it would be do it with AMSO or NASSP, so I was quite delighted to find AAPO.

During the TVI burn:

Departing from Earth:

Another departure shot, with both Earth and the moon in the background:

Periapsis of the Venus flyby:

After more than a year in space, the CSM separates from the SIVb a few hours before reentry at Earth.

I have another screenshot of the CSM separation with Earth in the background. Unfortunately, the Venus -> Earth leg of the flight approaches Earth from outside its orbit, so the lighting is horrible and I decided against uploading it.

BTW, is there a more complete list of key bindings for CSM functions (especially stuff like parachutes)? The panel documentation says that all the functions listed are working, but the buttons themselves don't seem to work. I was able to find one or two key bindings for functions listed as being triggered by panel buttons by trial-and-error, and they do work when triggered by keystrokes, but not from the panel. But I wasn't able to find a complete list of key bindings in the documentation.

EDIT: I figured out parachute deployment, but I haven't been able to figure out apex cover jettison (other than what happens automatically with LES operation).

Last edited by Linguofreak; 10-19-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #65
Hlynkacg

So I haven't worked on AAPO for the last few months due to difficulty in school (Material Sciences kicked my ass) and finding myself unemployed. (Job hunting sucks).

But on friday I felt the need to scratch my Orbiter itch and the result was an overhauled RCS control program for the LM. There are still some stability issues to be worked out but expect a fresh release soon.

Last edited by Hlynkacg; 11-24-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #66
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlynkacg View Post
 (Job hunting sucks).
Amen!
Old 11-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #67
Izack
Non sequitur

Good to hear it's still alive! Not so good to hear about the reasons for the setback, though. Best of luck with the classes and job hunt!
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #68
N_Molson
Addon Developer

You might want to jettison those SLA panels before the TPI burn, as they are dead mass. Nice flight anyway
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #69
Hlynkacg

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Molson View Post
 You might want to jettison those SLA panels before the TPI burn, as they are dead mass. Nice flight anyway
The CADs failed to fire. it's a known bug
Old 11-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #70
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

By the way, I mentioned it in the post on my Manned Venus Flyby, but is there any keyboard shortcut for jettisoning the CM apex cover? (And, in general, a complete list of key bindings for implemented functions, as the CM panel doesn't seem to work).
Old 11-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #71
Hlynkacg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguofreak View Post
 (And, in general, a complete list of key bindings for implemented functions, as the CM panel doesn't seem to work).
It's on the to-do list.

So...

Overhauling the LM's RCS control code and laying the ground work for future launch and landing Autopilots means that I need a way to interface with those autopilots.

This mean I need acesss to the DSKY on panel 4 that is currently covered by the MFD. Also, while having the MFD on panel 4 made sense from a logical design aspect it made it really annoying to use in game. As such I have decided to depart from the historical LM's cockpit layout by adding 2 additional panels. One above each of the forward windows. Each panel will house 2 switches, 4 knobs, a number-pad, and a big-ol-primitive mono-color CRT.

There are no textures because this was just a quick test build to make sure that the MFD will be readable. The Number-pad will go in the empty space to the left (or right for the LMP) and be mapped to the MFD's "soft-key" functions
Old 11-25-2013, 02:24 AM   #72
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlynkacg View Post
 It's on the to-do list.
I assume you mean panel buttons being tied to functions? I can do happily without a working panel if key bindings are documented (in fact, I spend most of my time in glass cockpit mode unless a ship explicitly requires interaction with a 3d or 2d cockpit for some functionality).
Old 11-25-2013, 03:12 AM   #73
orbitingpluto
Orbiteer

Great to hear your back at it, and awesome news about the MFDs in the LM. While the problem with the CM's VC persists, AAPO is the centerpiece of the one of my Orbiter installs, and has been occupied a fair share of my thinking for a while. If you got a fix for the VC or want a tester, call on me.
orbitingpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #74
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

If this is going to be a CRT, you might better want to move it a bit further inside - those old charactron tubes had been quite long, because of the character matrix (for displaying text) and the additional deflection and collimination stages. Usually, such a tube was much longer than wide, the small Space Shuttle CRTs had been about 50% longer than wide.

A 21" Charactron display had been 6 feet long!

Ultra-slim CRTS had been an invention of the 1990s.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #75
4throck
Enthusiast !

I have no problem with the "alternative reality" tech. The CRT itself is not that out of place if we think about the 70's. If they upgraded the Apollo hardware, certainly something like that was plausible. They did have handheld CRTs in Space 1999 ;-)

Last edited by 4throck; 11-25-2013 at 05:53 PM.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development