Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Tutorials & Challenges Feel free to publish your tutorials, challenges, & flight scenarios in this forum.

Old
ele2png user
Exclamation Expert/Realistic XR2 to the moon and back in 48 hours
by dgatsoulis 12-02-2009, 09:00 PM

How's this for a challenge?

Take off in a XR2 Ravenstar from Cape Canaveral (or the base of your choice), dock with Mir to refuel, land at Brighton Beach and then get back at the SAME base you took off from, in 48 hours or LESS!

The catch is that you have to use ONLY the expert/realistic settings in the XR2 Ravenstar Configuration File and NO PAYLOAD!
Views 9304 Comments 24
Total Comments 24

Comments

Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Xyon
Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional

Not even the CHM? That'd be a pretty cramped two days...
Xyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
dgatsoulis
ele2png user

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyon View Post
 Not even the CHM? That'd be a pretty cramped two days...
Hehe, i guess they'd be... but if you can take the +3 tons of the CHM to the moon and back in just two days... then by all means, go for it!

Just don't take any XrMainfuel Payload with you, ok? That would be cheating!
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
Xyon
Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional

I'll give it a go both with and without, tomorrow when I'm sober. I have learned that flying while drunk == terrible accidents.

I mean like de-orbiting ISS. By accident. :/
Xyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Arrowstar
Probenaut

What would be more interesting, perhaps, would be to force the pilot to use the option that removes fuel tanks from the vessel itself and use the cargo bay fuel tanks as the sole source of fuel. There's a switch for this mode in the XR2 config file somewhere, and I've been meaning to try it. The added challenge, of course, is that you can't start with full SCRAM and main fuel tanks, not enough cargo bay space.
Arrowstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

I've made it from KSC to Brighton Beach to KSC again without refuelling along the way (but it was a much lower Delta-V trip and so probably took around a week or so to do). With refuelling in orbit, this sounds like an enteresting challenge. I'll take a go at it sometime if I can find the time...
agentgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:26 AM   #7
Arrowstar
Probenaut

Well, did it in 6 days and 11 hours with one refueling (met up with a Tanker from Kulch's fleet) and a moon flyby with a 9 km periapsis. Sadly, I did it in 6 days and 11 hours, but there's room for improvement, particularly because I did it with *very* limited fuel (ie cargo bay tanks necessary to have anything). Obviously all settings were on expert. I'll put up pictures later tonight and will try again later!

EDIT: Pictures uploaded. See: http://orbiter-forum.com/album.php?albumid=240 Some highlights are attached to this post.

EDIT2: Didn't see the Brighton Beach requirement. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
moon2.jpg   moon4.jpg   moon5.jpg   moon6.jpg   moon8.jpg  

Last edited by Arrowstar; 12-03-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

I had a quick try at this yesterday to see how easy it would be. I managed to dock with Mir within 30 minutes of launch and then used LTMFD to set up a TLI burn. I set the MET for PeA at the moon to be MET ~23hours and did the TLI burn on the first Earth orbit. It used up about 65% of my fuel and I didn't have even enough fuel left to perform the LOI burn on arrival at the moon. If it is possible to do a lunar-return mission in 48 hours, it's going to be very hard.

All these settings were with the default XR2 settings.

Can you refuel when landed on the moon?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
dgatsoulis
ele2png user

Of course you can refuel on brighton beach, in fact there is no way to make it back since you'll have almost no fuel left when you get there.
I'm not sure what you mean "default settings"... This is what i mean:

RequirePayloadBayFuelTanks=0
MainFuelISP=0 (expert)
SCRAMFuelISP=0 (realistc)
LOXLoadout=0 (7 days) [In fact you'll need less than that since it's only a 2 day trip]
LOXConsumptionRate=4 (realistic)
MainEngineThrust=1 (realistic)
HoverEngineThrust=1 (realistic)
SCRAMfhv=1 (realistic)
APUFuelBurnRate=5 (expert)

Hint: The first half of the journey (KSC - BB) will have to be longer than the second (BB - KSC).
Old 12-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatsoulis View Post
 I'm not sure what you mean "default settings"... This is what i mean:
I meant that I just installed the XR2 and loaded up any scenario without changing the settings in the config file. I'll make your changes (if required) before attempting it 'properly'. I was just doing a few test runs yesterday.

Have you managed to complete it, or was this just an idea thrown out to the community?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #11
the.punk
Advanced Orbinaut

Hey. This is a interesting challenge. I will give it a try. What would a be a good escape vel. I also think for 48 hours the orbiter must be hyperbolic. Or am I wrong?
the.punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
dgatsoulis
ele2png user

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgonzo View Post
  Have you managed to complete it, or was this just an idea thrown out to the community?
I've done it in 1 day 22 hours 53 min, but i didn't record the flight.

Took off from a base i created in Southern Crete/Greece (35N)

I'll give it another try tonight from KSC and record it this time.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.punk View Post
 Hey. This is a interesting challenge. I will give it a try. What would a be a good escape vel. I also think for 48 hours the orbiter must be hyperbolic. Or am I wrong?
Definetely hyperbolic! You should make it to the moon within 30~31 hours from take off, if you want to make it back in time (AND land at the SAME base!)

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowstar View Post
 What would be more interesting, perhaps, would be to force the pilot to use the option that removes fuel tanks from the vessel itself and use the cargo bay fuel tanks as the sole source of fuel. There's a switch for this mode in the XR2 config file somewhere, and I've been meaning to try it. The added challenge, of course, is that you can't start with full SCRAM and main fuel tanks, not enough cargo bay space.
Not a bad idea Arrowstar! That would definetely add to the challenge, but i think that the xr2 would be too heavy to make the trip in 48hours. Will give it a try tho!
Old 12-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #13
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

OK, that was exciting. Landed at BB at MET 15:30 with even less fuel that Neil had in '69. Refuelling and about to head back to Earth. Will try and get a playback in the next week or so... (assuming I don't die)

---------- Post added at 00:52 ---------- Previous post was at 00:24 ----------

Bother. I ended up getting to excited with the TEI and set up the TransX plan only to find out after leaving the Moon's SOI that I was flying away from the earth on a hyperbolic trajectory rather than towards it. Oh well, I'll try again next time I have a few hours to spare. Time for bed now.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:59 AM   #14
Arrowstar
Probenaut

I have to admit, I'm not sure how you people are ending up on the Moon in 15 hours. It's taking me 30 at minimum and I'm finding that the dV required to pull that off is insane. There's no stopping. I tend to just go floating on by... very quickly.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

I used TransX to set up the burn (rather than LTMFD this time) and did a straight prograde burn of about 5km/s and then did a targeting/MCC burn along the way. I found that LTMFD set up a burn that used a lot of 'outward' delta-V which is very inefficient. LOI was about 8 or 9km/s Delta-V I think.

I'm thinking that I should be able to get a round-trip done in under 30 hours, with under 24 being my target.

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

Oh, actually, looking at it I forgot to update the XR2 configs and had left them at their defaults rather than changing them for this scenario. I had left the MainFuelISP setting as 2 (normal), rather than 0 (expert)

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges