Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OrbitHangar Addons & Comments Addons uploaded at Orbithangar.com will automatically generate a new thread in this forum for comments. The thread link will also be included on the addons page.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:03 PM   #31
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristiapi View Post

At step 2 I read that you scale an image to several resolution; isn't it better to have all the necessary .bmp without having to scale them?
Hi,
yes, but I rely on height map images from the web - they are not always available in the desired resolutions.

Just working on a more accurate elevation model for Bennu - I think we are up against the maximum resolution that ele2png.exe can process(I believe it uses integers for max./min. values). I have got the accuracy down to ~0.1m at max/min points.

Elevation model max. 289.3m, min. 214.3m (checked visually using sphere overlay).

I think that's the best I can do! Will upload soon.

I'm just looking at the rotation axis parameters.
The Wikipedia RA/Dec for N.Pole implies an obliquity of ~173.32deg. relative to ecliptic. Do we believe that?

Cheers,
Brian
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #32
cristiapi
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
 Just working on a more accurate elevation model for Bennu - I think we are up against the maximum resolution that ele2png.exe can process(I believe it uses integers for max./min. values). I have got the accuracy down to ~0.1m at max/min points.
If I correctly understand the doc "PlanetTextures.pdf" page 9, the elevation resolution is 1 m.

Quote:
I think that's the best I can do! Will upload soon.
Very good! :-)

Quote:
I'm just looking at the rotation axis parameters.
The Wikipedia RA/Dec for N.Pole implies an obliquity of ~173.32deg. relative to ecliptic. Do we believe that?
The most updated values used by NAIF are: RA= 85.4567, DE= -60.3574: https://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/naif/O.../bennu_v14.tpc
which is 173.477 deg over the ecliptic, but AFAIK almost all the literature gives about 176 - 178 deg.

EDIT: 176 - 178 deg is the axial tilt (the angle between the rotational axis and the orbital axis). Since the orbital inclination is about 6 deg, 173.5 deg over the ecliptic seems coherent with 176 - 178 deg.

Last edited by cristiapi; 09-03-2019 at 06:19 PM.
cristiapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #33
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Hi,
a new, I think more accurate, version osiris_rex_190903.zip here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W6...USrEZs4n9vF5aN
Only changes are to Bennu elevation tiles and .cfg.
As per previous post, elevation max. 289.3m, min. 214.3m

I used your NAIF data for N.Pole RA/Dec, converted to Ecliptic RA/Dec by online tool here:
https://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/toolbox/tb_coordconv.cfm

Epoch = 2019
Ecliptic RA = 69.83347
Ecliptic Dec = -83.47478

.cfg parameters:
Obliquity = 90 - Ecliptic Dec = 173.47478 = 3.02771 radians
LAN = Ecliptic RA - 90 = -20.16653 = -0.35197 radians
Checked visually, matches the Celestial and Ecliptic coords ok.

You can probably figure the SidRotPeriod and SidRotOffset values better than I, definitions are in OrbiterConfig.pdf.
(Changing the .cfg Epoch will invalidate the orbital parameters, but won't matter if you're using SPICE.)

Cheers,
Brian
Thanked by:
Old 12-12-2019, 12:16 AM   #34
Tarantul
Donator

Hi Brian, thanks for your outstanding mods, top quality at all!

But I only have a problem with Bennu, I describes it here: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=41205

Shortly - when I add Bennu (as Planet13) in sol.cfg, landing pads and vehicles on Earth "sticks" to sea level. Any suggestions?

v.190903
Tarantul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #35
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Hi,
I can't reproduce this bug on my set-up. If you can post your orbiter.log, it might give a clue.

Is this effect only seen on the Earth? (does it happen to the Brighton Beach moon-base, for example?)

Does the effect happen on all scenarios that you try?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 12-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #36
Tarantul
Donator

Yes it definitely doesn't affect Moon, and I noticed that this "underground" effect exist only if I load scenario where vehicle is landed. For example "DG-S ready for takeoff.scn" or "Cape Canaveral.scn".
If I load scenarios with DG orbiting or landed on Moon's base and move it to the Earth' ground with scenario editor - both vehicle and pads are perfectly on the ground. And if I commented Bennu string with ";" in sol.cfg - no problem appears at all in any scenario.

Here is the log after couple of loaded default scenarios with Bennu in sol.cfg
Attached Files
File Type: log Orbiter-copy.log (18.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #37
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Hi,
I can't see anything obvious in your orbiter.log that would cause this bug.

If you want to investigate further, I would suggest:

a) Make a new, clean installation of Orbiter2016 and only the Osiris-Rex add-on.
Does the bug still happen?
If "No" then it could be a conflict of add-ons/modules in your original installation.

If "Yes" then:

b) Look in the /Textures/Bennu/Elev folder and remove all .png and .meta files (leave only the .elv files).
I don't see why .png and .meta would cause any problem, but we can eliminate them anyway.

Does the bug still happen? If "Yes" then:

c) Remove the /Textures/Bennu/Elev folder completely, then test.
If the bug is corrected, then we know it's something in the Bennu .elv tiles causing the problem.

If the bug persists, then we can start to look outside the Bennu "Elev" folder for causes.

Since I can't reproduce this problem, it is hard to diagnose the possible cause.

Good luck!
Brian
Old 12-13-2019, 01:57 PM   #38
Tarantul
Donator

Hmm, now that's interesting.

I tried clean install with only D3D9, Multistage2015 and Osiris-REX installed and yes, Bennu presence has no such an effect.

Also when I tried to remove "Bennu/elev" folder from "full-mod" installation, it worked - no underground pads on Earth was anymore! But strange that this "elev" folder has no influence on Earth on clean install...

Also I tried to move "elev" and "elev_mod" folders between "Earth" folders in full-mod and clean installs - no effect - still undergroung in full-mod and still on fresh air on a clean one. (this folders appeared after SpaceX LC39 launchpad' installs).
Old 12-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #39
BrianJ
Addon Developer

I wonder if the bug is related to memory usage.

If you have extra planets or hi-res elevation tiles installed in your "full mod" Orbiter, you could try adding them, one at a time, to your new "clean" Orbiter installation. Then test after each one.

Also, you could check if the Orbiter Video settings and Visualization Parameters tabs are the same on both your Orbiter installations.

Well, I'm just guessing here ;-)

Cheers,
Brian
Old 12-14-2019, 06:17 AM   #40
Tarantul
Donator

Well, all Orbiter parameters is the same, also I've tried to move whole hi-res Earth texture folder to a clean install - no changes, all is ok.

This is the point where I simply give up. I decided to not test by moving planet by planet to a clean install and changing sol.cfg one by one, because of pure lazyness.

Instead I just made a copy of sol.cfg with Bennu, naming it sol_Bennu.cfg and use it only with Osiris-REX post-launch scenarios. I think now in my situation it's the simpliest way to make evething works.

Thanks a lot for trying to help! This a really detective story)
Thanked by:
Old 03-18-2020, 02:45 PM   #41
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Updated on OH to version 190903, with Cristiapi's altimetry data for Bennu.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments