Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addons A repository for Orbiter addons contributed by users. Developers & members may announce new releases here and discuss any Orbiter addon.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:13 AM   #31
AssemblyLanguage
Donator
Question Headings?

I have added hidden runways (15/33 and 17/35) to Rogers Dry lake to get ILSs. I first noticed that the ILS IDs were off by +2. Then noticed that spacecraft heading were off by +13. I am basing this on an official looking airport chart dated 2009 that I found on the web.

http://www.airports-worldwide.com/im...erslakebed.jpg

What am I missing?

Thanks.
AssemblyLanguage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #32
martins
Orbiter Founder

+13 looks about right between true north and magnetic north in Antelope Valley:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ation_2015.pdf
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-06-2016, 02:44 AM   #33
AssemblyLanguage
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post

I see. The airport chart I used indicates 12.8E in 2011 with an annual rate of change 0.1W.

Do all of the Orbiter instruments use a magnetic direction on earth?

Is the annual change handled by Orbiter?

How do people work with the ILS ID error?

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:32 AM   #34
sputnik
Addon Developer

Quote:

That's correct.

Very, very nice, by the way! Looks exactly like the real thing, and I've done plenty of flight test at Edwards and now flying between Fox Field and Mojave, so it has my seal of approval.
Except I need to flatten the runways at Fox Field and Mojave runway 12/30, among others. What's the easiest way to do that?
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-06-2016, 06:49 AM   #35
JonnyBGoode
Sky Marshal

I'm working on an Easter egg: a fixed observation point. Anyone from the A.V. will instantly recognize it.

JonnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #36
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssemblyLanguage View Post
 Do all of the Orbiter instruments use a magnetic direction on earth?

Is the annual change handled by Orbiter?
No, Orbiter instruments show true north (so no need for tracking change), but I assume the runway markings refer to magnetic north.
Thanked by:
Old 12-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #37
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 No, Orbiter instruments show true north (so no need for tracking change), but I assume the runway markings refer to magnetic north.
If based on the real world runway markings: Yes, magnetic north. They need to be repainted pretty often lately, because of this definition.

http://phys.org/news/2011-01-tampa-a...bered-due.html
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-08-2016, 05:38 AM   #38
JonnyBGoode
Sky Marshal

Sputnik, do you recognize this airfield? Bohunk's Airpark. It's out at about 80th West and Ave. J.

Judging from the flyover, you couldn't land on it on a bet, but I think the field's abandoned in real life anyway...

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
 That's correct.

Very, very nice, by the way! Looks exactly like the real thing, and I've done plenty of flight test at Edwards and now flying between Fox Field and Mojave, so it has my seal of approval.
Except I need to flatten the runways at Fox Field and Mojave runway 12/30, among others. What's the easiest way to do that?
This site says the declination was 15 degrees in 1980; I think it's about 12.2 degrees now. (Btw Martin, lots of good data on that website for nav aids, etc.)

Re. Fox Field: Yeah, I just did a flyover and it's quite the rollercoaster. And the east end of Plant 42's main drag is quite bumpy too. But flying over all of that is uncannily like the real thing so it gets a thumbs up from me as well.

Btw... is there any way of getting better textures for the runways?

Last edited by JonnyBGoode; 12-08-2016 at 05:46 AM.
JonnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:09 PM   #39
AssemblyLanguage
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGoode View Post
 ...is there any way of getting better textures for the runways?
The existing textures for concrete and asphalt overlay the images well.

I've added hidden runways to Rogers dry lake just to get ILSs. It would be nice to enhance the painted lines.

Does anyone know if there ever were ILSs on Rogers?

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

Quote:
 Does anyone know if there ever were ILSs on Rogers?
I've read that the Enterprise used Microwave Scanning Beam Landing System when landing on Rogers. Was it used on later shuttle flights?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microw...Landing_System

The Microwave Scanning Beam Landing System (MSBLS) is a Ku band approach and landing navigation aid formerly used by NASA's space shuttle. It provides precise elevation, directional and distance data which was used to guide the orbiter for the last two minutes of flight until touchdown. The signal is typically usable from a horizontal distance of approximately 28 km and from an altitude of approximately 5 km (18,000 feet).
Old 12-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #40
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 The only things missing is the runway lights for 22L/04R (main concrete runway at EDW) and the iconic Compass Rose on the lakebed along with the actual lakebed runways.
Quote:
 It would be nice to enhance the painted lines.
The aerial orthoimages I used for texturing the Edwards area are from 2014. I guess the lakebed runway markings and compass rose have faded since the shuttle era. Are the lakebed runways currently in use?

Not sure how to fix this other than re-painting the markings by hand. Which could end up looking fake.
Thanked by:
Old 12-08-2016, 05:22 PM   #41
4throck
Enthusiast !

You can try to track down orthos from the 1980's. Even if black and white, you can merge that with newer color (LRGB processing). I can help there if needed

The same problem happens with the Apollo landing sites. The present cm resolution images have the astronaut tracks on them....

It has some logic that historical situations should be handled by add-ons and not stock Orbiter, BUT there's a Shuttle on the stock Orbiter so...
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #42
sputnik
Addon Developer

Quote:
 The aerial orthoimages I used for texturing the Edwards area are from 2014. I guess the lakebed runway markings and compass rose have faded since the shuttle era. Are the lakebed runways currently in use?

Not sure how to fix this other than re-painting the markings by hand. Which could end up looking fake.
They get re-done (it's road tar) every once in a while; it's just luck of the draw to find a set of images that are both recent and have recent re-marking.

I agree; it would be nice to have more distinct markings, but "fixing" this is liable to be more work than it's worth, AND has a risk of looking bad too.
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #43
pappy2
Orbinaut

Hello everyone,
I just downloaded it, but I can not extract the files to install them on my ORBITER 2016.

I use 7.zip
But I have the following error message:

Have you ever had this problem ?
pappy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #44
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Corrupt downoad?
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:39 PM   #45
pappy2
Orbinaut

Hello "Ripley"

I downloaded several times, but without success.

Every time I can not extract the file.
pappy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons