Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #61
Pipcard
mikusingularity

I already said I have no problems with the missions.

Last edited by Pipcard; 12-18-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #62
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 I don't have problems with the missions list.

Oh wait, nevermind. You can do two separate scenarios to dock with the mothership (at the same time) and combine the scenarios at the end. Please delete this post and the two posts above this one. I'm being stupid again.
Which missions do that? I'm confused because as far as I recall there are no docking missions at the same time. There are Mars missions at the same time.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #63
Pipcard
mikusingularity

You said you wanted the Cosmos (now changed to James Cook) because it had multiple docking ports. So we would send up multiple XR2s to dock with the James Cook. (OFMM-21 and 22)

I thought we needed to dock at the same time, sorry.

Last edited by Pipcard; 12-18-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #64
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
 You said you wanted the Cosmos (now changed to James Cook) because it had multiple docking ports. So we would send up multiple XR2s to dock with the James Cook. (OFMM-21 and 22)

I thought we needed to dock at the same time, sorry.
Nope.

The first XR-2 launches and docks. That crew will do a few things like get the ship ready, make the beds, put the kettle on, put the cat out, etc.

The second XR-2 will launch about 7 days after the first. This allows for the normal Safety Range recalibrations to be carried out, the next XR-2 to be properly prepped, etc.

So, for James cook to go to Mars you have three missions and three orbinaunts carrying them out:

First -> XR-2 Mission
Second -> XR-2 Mission (largely a repeat for the first but with an XR-2 docked)
Third - Taking the James Cook off to Mars.
Thanked by:
Old 12-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #65
Pipcard
mikusingularity

I was confused back then but now I'm not.

How will we make sure the Cook is in the correct plane before taking off for Mars?
Old 12-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #66
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
 How will we make sure the Cook is in the correct plane before taking off for Mars?
It doesn't matter. An Off-Plane intercept is fine for Mars. It's not like Earth - ISS where plane matters. The amount of dV required for an off-plane intercept is very, very minor at those distances.
Thanked by:
Old 12-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #67
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 It doesn't matter. An Off-Plane intercept is fine for Mars. It's not like Earth - ISS where plane matters. The amount of dV required for an off-plane intercept is very, very minor at those distances.
Actually, I don't think it's about the plane; I think it's more about the eject orientation and LAN.

Last edited by Pipcard; 12-18-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #68
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
 Actually, I don't think it's about the plane; I think it's more about the eject orientation and LAN.
And we have a backroom trajectory office where Arrowstar has already started working on things like this. I am confused though, if it's not about plane why did you ask specifically about plane in the first place?
Thanked by:
Old 12-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #69
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
 And we have a backroom trajectory office where Arrowstar has already started working on things like this. I am confused though, if it's not about plane why did you ask specifically about plane in the first place?
I was thinking of TransX's eject plan and the align planes MFD. You need to lower the Rel. Inc (when you're already in orbit) for the eject orientation. I thought it was about planes, when I found out it was more about the LAN.

Last edited by Pipcard; 12-18-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #70
Arrowstar
Probenaut

Quote:
I'm already working on the best Earth parking orbit to leave from. (And I'll be insisting on parking orbits for the sake of equipment checkout and all that.) Needless to say, when the time comes the trajectory will be figured out. That said... if anyone wants to help me verify the stuff I'm working on, would be much appreciated! (Pipcard, if you have questions about this sort of thing and want to check it out for yourself, this is your chance.)
Arrowstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #71
Arrowstar
Probenaut

Hey Gary, what's going on with OFMM? Was just curious to know when mission 1 was going to be posted.
Arrowstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #72
garyw
O-F Administrator

After Christmas. Probably 27th December.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #73
Napalm42
Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet

Gotta let the crew say goodbye to their families first guys, come on

May I make a motion to propose the Deepstar as our planet hopping vessel? IMHO, it looks a bit more believable than the Cook.
Napalm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #74
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm42 View Post
 May I make a motion to propose the Deepstar as our planet hopping vessel? IMHO, it looks a bit more believable than the Cook.
This was briefly discussed in the mission discussion thread. Deepstar has too much dV. it's not even a challenge when you can do 7 laps of the oort cloud without refueling and it's why I proposed Cosmos but the crew wanted the James Cook so thats what it was changed to.

If you want to propose this change then feel free to discuss it on the mission discussions thread - I'm not flying so will set up the scenarios that people want.
Thanked by:
Old 12-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #75
Napalm42
Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet

Quote:
 This was briefly discussed in the mission discussion thread. Deepstar has too much dV. it's not even a challenge when you can do 7 laps of the oort cloud without refueling and it's why I proposed Cosmos but the crew wanted the James Cook so thats what it was changed to.

If you want to propose this change then feel free to discuss it on the mission discussions thread - I'm not flying so will set up the scenarios that people want.
Ooops, my bad. I lurk mostly, so I didn't take notice, I withdraw that statement. James Cook it is.
Napalm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM