Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
garyw
O-F Administrator

Default OFMM FAQ/Q&A

I thought it would be worth putting up a FAQ based on some of the questions and discussions in the role call thread.

Q. Can I do some development work for this project?

A. Yes but the project won't wait for that development work should it stall for any reason. There are no plans for OFMM exclusive development work because that's what killed the original project. The rule is 'If it's on OH it may be used' so if you want to develop something for the project feel free to do so and post it on OH so that everyone can benefit.

Q. Can I design mission patches for these missions?

A. Sure. Again, Missions won't wait for a patch to be complete. If you want a patch for your mission I believe Pipcard is happy to design them and post them here.

Q. How will the missions work?

A. Each mission will have a Primary Commander and a Backup Commander. The primary will have a week in which to START the mission (posting a note in the missions thread (yet to be created) is fine. They then have three weeks to complete the mission. If by that time they haven't the backup commander will take over.
Should both the primary and backup be unable to fly the mission it will be offered to the general OFMM group for someone to pick it up. The primary and backup may get another, later mission.

Q. How many missions will there be?

A. If we count 'missions' to include a few side trips flying around Earth on errands for OFMM we are looking at about 28. There may be more or less depending on how the missions shape out.

Q. How much realism will there be?

A. 'Some' is the best answer I can give. We will be using Arianne, XR-5, XR-2 and others. The reason being that these are more forgiving and allow more people to participate in OFMM. Also some of the missions will require a fairly hefty Earth to LEO requirement.

Q. Can we use OMP? Teamspeak, etc?

A. Absolutely. If you would like to use these tools to help you with your assigned mission please go for it.

Q. How will we keep track of the 'Master' Scenario file?

A. I'll host the master scenario file on an external website. This site will be for some specific checklist and mission scenario downloads and the one copy of the Master scenario. When a mission is complete PM me with the scenario, I'll validate it and update it on the site.

Q. When will the mission list be posted?

A. A preliminary Mission list will be posted on Thursday, December 8th. This missions list will be open for debate for a week and then the final missions list will be generated from that.

Q. So when does the first mission lift off?

A. The first actual OFMM mission will lift off NET 26th December.

Q. I missed out on roll call - Can I still fly?

A. Yes, I'll leave the thread open and feel free to post your details. You may not get a flight but I'll see what I can do.

Q. Ok, so the mission plan is written, the mission assigned but I want to do something else - How do I change the mission plan?

A. If you are flying OFMM then you don't. If it's something you are not clear on we still have the general discussion thread and your question can be posted there but I don't want the missions to end up in a months long discussion over the 'right' way to do this. Once the week discussion on the missions has ended I want to have a fairly concrete Mars plan.

Q. Where are we landing on Mars?

A. TBD. One of the missions in the missions list is to send an orbiter to Mars. When it arrives I'll create a landing site thread and we can agree on a landing location then - I'm trying to keep people involved who may not even be flying to Mars and to keep it fun and dynamic.

Q. My question isn't on this list!

A. Opps. Reply to the thread and I'll answer it. Or try to. I won't ignore it. honest!

Last edited by garyw; 12-05-2011 at 02:22 PM.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Arrowstar
Probenaut

How can those of us who asked for a non-flight role (trajectory work, etc) participate?
Arrowstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
garyw
O-F Administrator

In a lot of ways your job will be one of the most important.

What I am aiming to do is finish up and release the missions list for discussion on Thursday. After that I'll create a new thread called 'OFMM Trajectory back office' where you guys can work out the best way of achieving the goals of getting to Mars and other places because it's not just Mars that this project will be flying to.
Thanked by:
Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Oh really? Where else will we be going?

I'd love to explore Mars' moons, and go back to our moon and colonize.

And by using anything on O-H, does that include the DGIV?

Last edited by Samuel Edwards; 12-05-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typo
Samuel Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Arrowstar
Probenaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 In a lot of ways your job will be one of the most important.

What I am aiming to do is finish up and release the missions list for discussion on Thursday. After that I'll create a new thread called 'OFMM Trajectory back office' where you guys can work out the best way of achieving the goals of getting to Mars and other places because it's not just Mars that this project will be flying to.
Excellent! This sounds like a great deal of fun!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Edwards View Post
 Oh really? Where else will we be going?
Wait and see but as a hint - what would you line in place before going to mars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowstar View Post
 Excellent! This sounds like a great deal of fun!
Thanks - thats the idea - It should be done so that every has a go and what they like and want to do but also can learn from others.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
Ark
Orbinaut

Hehe, you really should have capitalized the "FAQ" in the title. With the automatic underlining it looks like...well, you know.
Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Arrowstar
Probenaut

Quote:
 Thanks - thats the idea - It should be done so that every has a go and what they like and want to do but also can learn from others.
I assume then that those of us in the 'back room' will have sufficient time to try and work out trajectories before each mission that requires it?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Will the manned Mars missions be called Ares?
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
Cras
Spring of Life!

Ares? I like it.
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #11
Columbia42
Orbinaut

The original was called Prometheus, we might have even had a mission patch but I'm not sure.
Columbia42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-05-2011, 11:35 PM   #12
Scruce
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 Will the manned Mars missions be called Ares?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia42 View Post
 The original was called Prometheus, we might have even had a mission patch but I'm not sure.
Can't anyone think of something original and new?
Scruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #13
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruce View Post
 Can't anyone think of something original and new?
How about the Odyssey?
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #14
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Quote:
 Wait and see but as a hint - what would you line in place before going to mars?

I would say the moon. It would be much more easy to get to mars if you were on the moon. Wouldn't have to plan for a launch window so much?
Samuel Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #15
Scruce
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 How about the Odyssey?
To prevent this going down the new Orbiter Magasine way, we need to know our resources and methods before we start slapping patches and names to things. we need content; finding out what goes where before we start to think about the minor, shiny and trivial details.

So let's get the important stuff out of the way first: timelines, mission details etc. Then we can arrange what goes where and fit the little blocks in between.

Scruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM