Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:51 AM   #91
Salun
Das Bluejay El DESTROY YOU ALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodworth View Post
 It is in my book. I've said since the beginning that we don't need to make everything from scratch
Any chance we can change that to the UCGO unfolding sat?
Salun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:08 AM   #92
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

This one?
It looks like a Soviet cell phone, but I suppose it would work functionally. That's one more option to confuse...er, choose from.
River Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:16 AM   #93
fireballs619
Occam's Taser

I would prefer to stick with the Carina, just because we all agreed on it. What are the advantages of this one?
fireballs619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:22 AM   #94
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireballs619 View Post
 I would prefer to stick with the Carina, just because we all agreed on it. What are the advantages of this one?
Well, it's UCGO which makes handling easier.
I still agree with the TI Carina, though.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:43 AM   #95
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Oh, and it seems it unfolds at the beginning of every scenario, so, yeah. Kinda major bug. Of course, Carina is unfolded all the time but we wouldn't have it in a small confining box while drawing the mesh- I imagine the SVTU would take care of the unfolding, right?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #96
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Please mention that there are multiple routes to Mars. Your drawing doesn't have Venus in it...
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #97
Columbia42
Orbinaut

I vote for Carina.
Columbia42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #98
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Crab View Post
 Yeah...It was originally supposed to be an epic-looking OFMM wallpaper, but it kind of just ended up looking ridiculously inaccurate. Oh well, let's not be wasteful.
You are far too modest with your skills. Yes, it lacks a bit of composition and maybe some white spots in it, so it has the right amount of drama, but really, if we ever need Wallpapers and flyers for the project, you'll have my vote and all blackmailing other responsible people that my immortal soul can take.

Also, maybe you could do wallpapers in a similar style when we have finally the vehicles designed and flying... after all, Mangas are not limited to the laws of physics and the laws of orbiter....
Thanked by:
Old 07-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #99
fireballs619
Occam's Taser

To clarify, the MTV is using LH2, while the skycrane will use LOX/CH4, correct? Since the reference states that mining LH2 is impractical, unless extracted from ice, my guess is we won't be mining that. If we are still to mine for fuel, that leaves the combination of LOX/CH4. If I understood correctly, we will be converting CO2 and hydrogen into our choice fuel (LOX/CH2). Will the LH2 be brought from earth and converted, because we can't mine it?

If we have decided not to mine fuel, that opens up a large host of candidates for landing spots, as it isn't restricted to the amount of potential fuel there. Can we pick spots for their scientific potential now, instead of mining potential?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #100
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

I think selecting the landing site for fuel production isn't very smart either way: Most of the stuff that is needed for making methane is in the atmosphere.

But we could cook hydrogen from some minerals, if they would exist, the power demands are just too huge too be practical on Earth.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #101
fireballs619
Occam's Taser

Before we choose fuel, the plan was to pick a good sit to mine it, and land close to there. I was just checking to see if that was still happening.

Is it worth it to try to extract hydrogen? I vote we forget about mining fuel. Looking at the reference, I find no mention of mining at all, so I am going to take those parts out of the wiki. Sound good?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #102
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Quote:
 Before we choose fuel, the plan was to pick a good sit to mine it, and land close to there. I was just checking to see if that was still happening.

Is it worth it to try to extract hydrogen? I vote we forget about mining fuel. Looking at the reference, I find no mention of mining at all, so I am going to take those parts out of the wiki. Sound good?
As long as we're super careful about not losing Hydrogen and we bring enough extra to provide a degree of safety, I think we're good leaving out mining. There's also the matter of overcomplication, which is becoming more and more of an issue.

So I'm not decisively sure, but it seems better to leave it out.

Also, are we pretty much certain about the Sidemount for an HLV? The reference doesn't mention launches at all. Can that carry everything so far? And, relatedly, are we using the NERVA2?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #103
fireballs619
Occam's Taser

I'm not sure about the Sidemount, but I am almost positive we are using he NERVA2 as IDMS.
Thanked by:
Old 07-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #104
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Sounds good, good.

Also, a new wallpaper thing, featuring original art from Sumishuu.

Not super pro quality but, pretty good, at least good enough (again).
プロメテウス=Prometheus
Those clouds are noctilucent clouds from a NASA observation.
The ship looks like it's going towards her, but it's actually facing retrograde and traveling into darkness. Which is sad.
Not only is this (vaguely) relevant to OFMM, it's also relevant to that Mars 500 experiment, and even more so to the Orbinauts designing and piloting for OFMM.
It comes in 1440x800 and 1280x800 so it should fit common resolutions if you center it actual size.

I'm saving (almost) everything I use to make these, so when the vessel meshes are done, I can replace the Deepstar/Ravenstar/what have you.
Attached Thumbnails
ofmmmuri4.jpg   ofmmmuri5.jpg   ofmmmuri6.jpg  

Last edited by River Crab; 07-16-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 07-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #105
Bj
Donator

Quote:
 To clarify, the MTV is using LH2, while the skycrane will use LOX/CH4, correct? Since the reference states that mining LH2 is impractical, unless extracted from ice, my guess is we won't be mining that. If we are still to mine for fuel, that leaves the combination of LOX/CH4. If I understood correctly, we will be converting CO2 and hydrogen into our choice fuel (LOX/CH2). Will the LH2 be brought from earth and converted, because we can't mine it?

If we have decided not to mine fuel, that opens up a large host of candidates for landing spots, as it isn't restricted to the amount of potential fuel there. Can we pick spots for their scientific potential now, instead of mining potential?

NERVA2 uses LH2. Skycrane uses LOX/CH4. Yes that correct

Since we are using most of the elements found on Mars except for hydrogen, we will need to bring hydrogen with us. The conversion has a 62:1 weight gain ratio (ie 1 kg hydrogen turns to 62 kg LOX/CH4 ) and it happens to have the exact mixture necessary for our use.

The only part of the whole deal that is unrealistic is that it takes so much power, something like 66 kWh per kg for conversion so it would take months to make enough propellant for a single launch. Soooo I am just going to assume our nuclear generator has unlimited power and fuel can be produced every 2-3 days.
Bj is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM