Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:13 AM   #31
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

I believe that the stack idea went by the wayside, I could be very wrong on that however. BJ posted a pic earlier (just 4 posts up) of a vessel similiar to what we will be building and by the look of it, it could almost pass for the JamesCook.
Bloodworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #32
Izack
Non sequitur

Not quite a James Cook, I'd think.

If we're using a tumbling pigeon design, I guess that means gravity tori are considered beyond current technology?
I mean, I know none has ever been built, (barring the ISS Centrifuge Accommodations Module that was never put into orbit) but I see no reason why the technology would be beyond us.

On second thought, thinking of the design for the OSHV, the problem with the centrifuge is: Where the heck to put it?

I think I just answered my own question...
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:00 AM   #33
Bj
Donator

Urwumpe posted a while ago why any small centrifuges will not work.

http://orbiter-forum.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=421

Coriolis force Coriolis force

Ill work out a preliminary drawing on what this vessel will look like from Earth to Mars & during construction phases, just to help get guys visualized on what this thing is.
Bj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #34
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bj View Post
 Urwumpe posted a while ago why any small centrifuges will not work.

http://orbiter-forum.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=421

Coriolis force

Ill work out a preliminary drawing on what this vessel will look like from Earth to Mars & during construction phases, just to help get guys visualized on what this thing is.
Ah, I was aware of that, actually. Although, on second review it looks like the effects are a lot more pronounced that I had expected. It looks now like a really effective torus would need to be at least 20m across...
Yeah, nevermind me. The previous idea of the tumbling pigeon is the best one.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:41 AM   #35
Bj
Donator

Question:

Working on the power requirements of the system, I came to how much energy it would take to convert/mine propellant from Mars, then I came to which propellants are we going to actually use?

Are cryogenic propellants out because of the short shelf life? or might it be possible? If we could probably make LOX/LH2 for the lander, both ingredients can be harvested from Ice, though it might be rather limiting if we have to land at a ice cap. Wiki says Planum Boreum says it has 30 ppm of ice, and Planum Australe has 15% at best of ice.

I suppose we could try splitting iron oxide to get the O2 (found a way here), and collect hydrogen peroxide from the atmosphere and make hydrogen, then somehow compress them and turn them cryogenic...

I dunno, any ideas?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #36
lennartsmit
Orbinaut

For the lander it would be best to use UMDH and something like N2O4 as carrying the materials to make fuel at Mars would cost more then it would bring up. UMDH doesn't decompose as fast as LH2-LO2.
This is just my uneducated guess so please prove me wrong if I am.
lennartsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #37
Bj
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennartsmit View Post
 For the lander it would be best to use UMDH and something like N2O4 as carrying the materials to make fuel at Mars would cost more then it would bring up. UMDH doesn't decompose as fast as LH2-LO2.
This is just my uneducated guess so please prove me wrong if I am.
It looks like any combination of UMDH other than LOX is hypergolic. I would guess we shouldnt have any toxic materials around the landing area. For two, how much weight do you think the machines that create LOX LH2? I cannt find a reference but when browsing online i see all insitu propellent capture creation
Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #38
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bj View Post
 I would guess we shouldnt have any toxic materials around the landing area.
That won't be an issue as long as the fuel doesn't get onto the spacesuits. What you want to avoid is getting anything nasty into a habitat or spacecraft where it gets into the air and irritates the astronauts eyes and lungs.

If you are taking things that far then you'll need to include a medical kit and medical cross training.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #39
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post

If you are taking things that far then you'll need to include a medical kit and medical cross training.

I hope we're not taking things that far. The idea isn't to completely redesign orbiter for the sake of one mission.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #40
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodworth View Post
 I hope we're not taking things that far. The idea isn't to completely redesign orbiter for the sake of one mission.
There was talk of NPC's and Gamesmaster roleplaying so it sounds like it's got the potential to be quite big, is that the case or is OFMM getting bigger than it needs to be at this time.

Why one mission? There is a lot of planning going on for this so it would be a shame to see it end at one mission. Personally, I'd have several missions building up to the eventual landing on Mars.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #41
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 Why one mission? There is a lot of planning going on for this so it would be a shame to see it end at one mission. Personally, I'd have several missions building up to the eventual landing on Mars.

Sorry, I didn't mean one mission in the form of we go there, we come back end of story. I was referring to the whole thing as a mission in the same way that the OFSS could be considered one mission, or the Apollo (or any other space) program could be heaped together as a single mission.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #42
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Argh... a mission is not a program.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #43
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Argh... a mission is not a program.
1) It was a figure of speech.
2) I've had a bit to drink tonight.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #44
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Don't drink and post.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #45
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

Oh god. "Honey, I've just been pulled over and arrested for PUI (posting Under the Influence), can you come down to county lockup and bail me out..."

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM