Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #23686
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 Everybody's on vacation, and I find myself in the position of having to decide whether to introduce some questionable architecture or start refactoring, which will make me overshoot the sprint.

I hate making decisions without having anyone to consult.
Well, if I am working agile, I NEVER overshoot a sprint. I don't even think about it. I rather take a blame for questionable architecture or dubious implementations. Or for missing features in a sprint review.

I would leave refactoring to the next sprint then and make sure your product owner knows why you are doing it and why feedback from the sprint retrospective requires you to refactor an implementation.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-25-2017, 04:55 PM   #23687
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Well, we're the product owner, so that pressure isn't that bad...
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #23688
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Well, if I am working agile, I NEVER overshoot a sprint. I don't even think about it. I rather take a blame for questionable architecture or dubious implementations. Or for missing features in a sprint review.

I would leave refactoring to the next sprint then and make sure your product owner knows why you are doing it and why feedback from the sprint retrospective requires you to refactor an implementation.
This is me reading you guys' comments:

Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #23689
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
 This is me reading you guys' comments:
AGILE terminology, it's the "how to be an efficient programmer in three easy steps" methodology which is in fashion this demi-decade.

They tend to change every 3-4 years and none of them ever worked, for fundamental reasons, but people still keep trying to make one for well over half a century by now.
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #23690
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlav View Post
 They tend to change every 3-4 years and none of them ever worked, for fundamental reasons, but people still keep trying to make one for well over half a century by now.
Seriously, the classic agile methods like Scrum or Kanban are working fine and have already solid project data behind them proving their value. The experimentation is now in larger scales... like NASA developing SLS and Orion using agile project management.

Another field of current research is having agile subprojects in classic waterfall or V-Model projects.
Thanked by:
Old 07-25-2017, 11:27 PM   #23691
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Seriously, the classic agile methods like Scrum or Kanban are working fine and have already solid project data behind them proving their value. The experimentation is now in larger scales... like NASA developing SLS and Orion using agile project management.

Another field of current research is having agile subprojects in classic waterfall or V-Model projects.
And we all know how that is going...
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:12 AM   #23692
Thunder Chicken
Fine Threads since 2008

Wow, got the new radiator fan for my car in less than 24 hours, free shipping (the supplier is in my state, but that's still really good). Tore everything apart, installed it, reassembled it. Last item was reconnecting the battery, and of course the rusted terminal clamp broke. Had to wait for my wife to get home so I could get to the hardware store and get a new one, then install that. I then had to take it on a long fast test drive to get the engine temperature up, then pulled into a parking lot and waited. Heard the fan kick on and the coolant temperature dropped straight away. I love making order out of disorder.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:15 AM   #23693
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 And we all know how that is going...
Not worse than other NASA projects... quite contrary. Despite the political chaos around them, they are running pretty good. But I still doubt its easy to develop hardware by agile processes. You can't refactor hardware easily.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

We have a serious case of flooding here in my state now, after torrents of rain. A lot of roads closed now on my way to work, but I made it. They even closed the new section of the A39 here, never happened since they opened it about one decade ago.

The city of Hildesheim is preparing for a possible evacuation, the downtown of Goslar has been closed to traffic, a local hotel is getting evacuated. The Innerste river has reached a new historic peak level upstream of Hildesheim, with 694 cm (EDIT: Correction. A few hours ago, it peaked at 714 cm, but now its dropping slowly). The previous record was 675 cm in 2007. Bad Salzdetfurth is de facto a peninsula now, most major roads to it are flooded.

Last edited by Urwumpe; 07-26-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #23694
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

The current freefall strip sums up humanity in a few eloquent words, as it so often does...

jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #23695
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

To quote Dr. Jones: "This belongs in a museum".

The German government has bought the rusty hull of the Boeing 737-200C D-ABCE "Landshut" for 20,000€ and prepares its transfer from Fortaleza, Brazil, to the Dornier Museum in Friedrichshafen. The "Landshut" was kidnapped in 1977 during the "German Autumn" period by Palestinensian terrorists, which demanded German RAF terrorists to be freed from prison, and was later freed during the first operation of the newly-formed special forces unit GSG-9.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lufthansa_Flight_181
Thanked by:
Old 07-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #23696
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 The current freefall strip sums up humanity in a few eloquent words, as it so often does...

{image}
Given that we only have no other abstract-reasoning, spacefaring species to compare ourselves to, I always wonder why anyone thinks these things are valid. In Star Trek Klingons are "warlike" and Vulcans lack ambition and imagination, which all lends to the "humans as leaders" aspect of the show, conveniently for budget reasons as the majority of the cast needs no weird makeup...but in reality humans are all the good and bad things we imagine aliens to be.

Somewhere I read that squirrels are actually among the most violent of animals towards each other, maybe more so than humans or chimpanzees. And yet humans (and chimps) are still scarier to me, for reasons of circumstance.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-27-2017, 08:36 PM   #23697
C3PO
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
 Somewhere I read that squirrels are actually among the most violent of animals towards each other, maybe more so than humans or chimpanzees.
Don't forget pandas and bottle-nose dolphins.
C3PO is online now   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge

Tags