Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Astronomy & the Night Sky
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Astronomy & the Night Sky Astronomy news & discussions, Astrophotography, Telescopes, Star Charts, & more. Galaxies, Stars, Planets & Moons, discuss it all here!

Old 05-02-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Default US Solar Eclipse August 21, 2017

We're a little under 4 months away from the first total solar eclipse visible over the continuous United States since February 1979. Anyone going to take a trip for this? If so, what gear are you bringing with you? Hoping to set up somewhere in Georgia with my DSLR + 300mm lens, as well as a good pair of binoculars (all with proper protection of course!)

Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-03-2017, 02:45 AM   #2
Donamy
Beta Tester

The Sun seems a bit large in Orbiter .
Attached Thumbnails
OrbiterEclipse.jpg  
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:38 AM   #3
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

I... actually might have a shot at seeing this! I'd have to take a day off from school, but hey, what are make-up days for, amiright?
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Stupid american visa requirements...
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #5
n122vu
Addon Developer

Hopkinsville, KY is going to be the location of maximum eclipse at 2m42s. That's only ~80nm Southwest of me. I was thinking of flying the 150 down and landing at HVC for a few hours, watching the event, then flying home. I found out via the Cessna 150-152 club forum that HVC is now taking reservations for plane parking. There are only 30 or so spots left, and they want $150 just to park for the sub-three-minute event.

A fellow club member is working with one of the eclipse sites to show airports on their map along the path of totality that are offering free parking for the event. Once that is set up I'll share here for anyone who is interested.

I'll be flying down to Princeton-Caldwell County airport (2M0) instead.

https://skyvector.com/?ll=37.0651497...ndefined%202M0

Last edited by n122vu; 05-03-2017 at 12:24 PM.
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
zerofay32
Buckeye

I'm going to be flying to Hopkinsville, KY which is about 10 miles away from the point of greatest eclipse. I will also be taking the old camera (Nikon D700 with a 300mm lens, a 2x teleconverter) It's only about a 2.5 hour flight from where I live in Ohio.

I'm thinking about making a side trip to Mammoth Cave National Park since I haven't been there since I was a kid, and my wife has never been there.
zerofay32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
n122vu
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofay32 View Post
 I'm going to be flying to Hopkinsville, KY which is about 10 miles away from the point of greatest eclipse.
Correct. I'm told the actual point is in the middle of a farm field northwest of the city.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #8
zerofay32
Buckeye

Yup, and if you want to shell out another $150, can get a spot on the farm property... I won't be doing that. Paying for parking is one thing, since the difference it total eclipse time is fractions of a second, I'm ok with the location I have scoped out.

I was thinking about Princeton-Caldwell County as well, but having reserved parking (even if I have to pay) makes me less nervous. Nothing would be worse then to get to the airport you would like to stop at only to not have a place to shutdown. And I think the free parking airports will be very crowded.

Although, I would be kinda cool to be flying during the eclipse. That would be a very special 0.05 hr night flying.
zerofay32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #9
Ravenous
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofay32 View Post
 Although, I would be kinda cool to be flying during the eclipse. That would be a very special 0.05 hr night flying.
Hmmm, open top aircraft?
Ravenous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:20 PM   #10
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

FWIW, if you're doing any photography during the eclipse you really should have the event scripted out so that you're not fumbling around with your DSLR during the totality. I'm going to be using Solar Eclipse Maestro for Mac OS X. Really great program and it's free.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #11
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

For the people shelling out huge sums of money, keep in mind that the chances of cloud cover is really high in the summer. Cincinnati was 10/10 overcast for the entire 2012 Venus transit, for example.

I wonder if there is such a thing as eclipse insurance...
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #12
n122vu
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogabooga View Post
 For the people shelling out huge sums of money, keep in mind that the chances of cloud cover is really high in the summer. Cincinnati was 10/10 overcast for the entire 2012 Venus transit, for example.

I wonder if there is such a thing as eclipse insurance...
Exactly why I'm not fond of shelling out $150 this far in advance to park my plane. If it's not CAVU or CAVOK in the area, I will likely stay put or just go get a $100 hamburger somewhere unless it's IFR.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #13
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

I'm looking at central Oregon, myself. Yeah, it's nowhere near peak totality, but still... even less than a minute will be mindblowing.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #14
n122vu
Addon Developer

As far as what I'm bringing with me, I'm thinking of just getting a decent pair of binoculars. Not much into photography, so I'll just enjoy the experience.

I've never directly viewed an eclipse myself - any suggestions as far as protection to use with binocs?
Old 05-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #15
Notebook
Donator

In all seriousness, my advice is never look in the direction of the sun with binoculars or a telescope. You risk serious eye damage.

The media is full of that during eclipses here, would guess its the same in most countries?
N.
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Astronomy & the Night Sky