Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Requests
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Notices

Addon Requests If you have a request for a new addon or want to know where to find a specific addon, ask it here!

Old 07-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #31
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gm over cxc View Post
 Regarding upgrades, couldn't this be done via changes in the cfg. file?

Things like better ISP, thrust, lower weight, seating capacity, oxygen use, fuel capacity, ect.
All but the simplest Orbiter vessels define these parameters in a module instead of the config file. Any interesting vessels (XR2, DGIV, stock DG even) won't work this way.

You'd need to make any vessels that you wanted to support this method yourself--and at the point you're making them yourself, there's probably better ways of doing it than using the config files.

Plus, making the vessels yourself for this sort of addon gives you the advantage of being able to control the look-and-feel of the entire universe, so that things are consistent. Not necessarily bad, just time-consuming.
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #32
2Gm over cxc
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielor View Post
 All but the simplest Orbiter vessels define these parameters in a module instead of the config file. Any interesting vessels (XR2, DGIV, stock DG even) won't work this way.
Doesn't the XR series use a config file? At least that is where I always modified the parameters. Or maybe I didn't understand your post.
2Gm over cxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #33
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Quote:
 Doesn't the XR series use a config file? At least that is where I always modified the parameters. Or maybe I didn't understand your post.
Maybe? But it's not a universal solution.
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #34
malisle
Donator

UCGO has a great potential that was never truly used to give Orbiter a role-playing side, although there were some good tries, like this. Whatever ideas and/or add-ons come out of this thread, it would be great if it utilized this piece of "infrastructure" in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4throck View Post
 What makes sense for me is some kind of crew / resource management on space-stations or bases. It could be something as simple as keeping a log of your flights, with some planning tool to help you choose where to go next.

Such as system could easily incorporate some RGP elements. For example, once you land on the 4 jovian satellites, you get a "galilean satellite award".

All this would only be accessible to the pilot while docked or landed on a base.
So it wouldn't interfere with the "flying" (that makes orbiter unique) but it would give you something to do once you reach your destination.
Orbiter could use some sort of achievement system similar to what FSX has. It's not campaign, but people seem to love those.
malisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #35
2Gm over cxc
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by malisle View Post
 UCGO has a great potential that was never truly used to give Orbiter a role-playing side, although there were some good tries, like this. Whatever ideas and/or add-ons come out of this thread, it would be great if it utilized this piece of "infrastructure" in some way.
Fully agreed.

I remember looking at this addon a while back, and it looked very interesting.

So many people have put in hard work to create infrastructure like the item you linked. It only seems natural to link these elements in a way that gives a specific goal, and builds on itself.

For example, I love the space station building blocks. But once I completed my first station, I never used it again. Now if building a station around a Jupiter moon with an ore-extraction operation opened up further possibilities, such as colonization and residential base demand...... I then have a reason to earn income to purchase something like a long-haul cargo-optimized XR-5 to meet that demand.

Then once that is completed, there is a waypoint with enough fuel and supplies to expand my operation - maybe to Saturn's moons
Thanked by:
Old 07-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #36
MJR
C++ developer in the mix

Quote:
 Fully agreed.

I remember looking at this addon a while back, and it looked very interesting.

So many people have put in hard work to create infrastructure like the item you linked. It only seems natural to link these elements in a way that gives a specific goal, and builds on itself.

For example, I love the space station building blocks. But once I completed my first station, I never used it again. Now if building a station around a Jupiter moon with an ore-extraction operation opened up further possibilities, such as colonization and residential base demand...... I then have a reason to earn income to purchase something like a long-haul cargo-optimized XR-5 to meet that demand.

Then once that is completed, there is a waypoint with enough fuel and supplies to expand my operation - maybe to Saturn's moons
I kinda like that idea of ore-extraction and maybe delivery. Sounds within the realm of possibility. I think it would need to be a huge collaboration though. If we could pull in many of the great brains here I am sure something like this is possible. By the way, what ever happened to that collision module that was being made? I think it was October Sky or something?
MJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #37
kamaz
Unicorn hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielor View Post
 [Editing a config file is] not a universal solution [for setting engine ISP]
If you want to create a playable prototype quickly, then generating an XR2 config file is the simplest way. As an engineer, I prefer working, if deficient, prototypes over perfection on paper

After looking at the API, a universal solution seems possible: calling VESSEL::SetThrusterISP() inside clbkPreStep() should override whatever the vehicle code sets by default.

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by malisle View Post
I thought about it yesterday evening, and came to this:

Mission: "Blah, blah, blah, deliver water to Brighton Beach".

Mission is completed if all these conditions are met:

primary body is MOON,
vehicle state is LANDED,
vehicle position is WITHIN 1km of Brighton Beach,
vehicle carries AT LEAST 1 WATER UCGO.

Scenario: contains a stack of water UCGOs (or a machine creating water UCGOs) at Shackleton Crater.

Find some way to script the above in a generic way, and you can define missions.

Last edited by kamaz; 07-30-2013 at 09:12 PM.
kamaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #38
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Maybe, such a mission design could be done by scripting with Lua, maybe with some additional C++ module for more complex functions.

Of course, Orbiter is a sandbox and it would be cooler if Orbiter could stay a sandbox. There are works on an economics systems for Orbiter, but a RPG would be a bit more.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #39
kamaz
Unicorn hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Of course, Orbiter is a sandbox and it would be cooler if Orbiter could stay a sandbox. There are works on an economics systems for Orbiter, but a RPG would be a bit more.
I do not see why there would be a conflict.

Just include a switch disabling the logic verifying mission completion. If enabled, you have an RPG. If disabled, you play the same scenario in sandbox mode.
kamaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #40
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaz View Post
 I do not see why there would be a conflict.

Just include a switch disabling the logic verifying mission completion. If enabled, you have an RPG. If disabled, you play the same scenario in sandbox mode.
No, I rather mean a sandbox world for a RPG, like you have in many modern RPGs. Not too much focussed on one storyline and static missions.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #41
2Gm over cxc
Orbinaut

Just found this @ orbit-hanger
SpaceTrader

Looked it over and it seems to be similar to what kamaz suggested.

It incorporates a mission generation system, ship "hanger" for purchased ships, monetary reward and purchase system, and scripted conditions for mission outcome.

I believe it uses the "current state" save to determine outcome.
Thanked by:
Old 07-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #42
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaz View Post
 I thought about it yesterday evening, and came to this:

Mission: "Blah, blah, blah, deliver water to Brighton Beach".

Mission is completed if all these conditions are met:

primary body is MOON,
vehicle state is LANDED,
vehicle position is WITHIN 1km of Brighton Beach,
vehicle carries AT LEAST 1 WATER UCGO.

Scenario: contains a stack of water UCGOs (or a machine creating water UCGOs) at Shackleton Crater.

Find some way to script the above in a generic way, and you can define missions.
But this already exists in things like the challenges here thanks to LUA.

Personally, I like the way things are as I run my own VSA and can set my own goals.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #43
2Gm over cxc
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 No, I rather mean a sandbox world for a RPG, like you have in many modern RPGs. Not too much focussed on one storyline and static missions.
I hear yah Urwumpe and fully agree. A linear goal or "mission tree" would not be in the spirit of the literally open-world nature of Orbiter.

With the hundreds of awesome addons already developed, I can easily see one focusing on many different areas: cargo, commercial/industrial/residential development, passenger services, scientific pursuits (like all the "test" pilot and satellite deployment missions included with the DG-IV), rescue operations, ect.

What would be really cool were if there was a way to set up a generic system that could easily incorporate future mods or scripted missions. I always wanted to create a mission like in Event Horizon, for example (send a rescue party to Neptune). Rather than just changing the config files to enable an XR-2 to reach Neptune, I could use my in-game income to purchase upgrades and refit the ship for this mission, giving it significant depth and "player investment" in my very own Orbiter Solar system. Or, if I had previously constructed bases near the outer planets, I would only need an XR capable of making the hops as I would be able to restock on the way.

Okay, maybe now I'm dreaming....
Old 07-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #44
4throck
Enthusiast !

A persistent universe is needed for all that. Of course, you can save your progress as you go, but there's no simple way to launch another space-station for example.

We would need a tool that could merge a specific .scn with the one you just saved.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Requests