Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #211
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Shameless plug: I wrote the decoder for METEOR satellite signal, which works on RPi among other things - https://github.com/artlav/meteor_decoder

That satellite is digital, so images are of much higher quality while being in the same band and needing the same equipment as NOAAs.
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:23 PM   #212
Fabri91
Donator

Nice, thank you! I currently only have a v-dipole antenna with which I previously tried decoding METEOR data without much success, but I'll be sure to try it on the Pi.
Fabri91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #213
mahdavi3d
Orbinaut

PI-4 Prototype! added FPGA, more GPIO pins, SATA connection and more...

---------- Post added 04-02-19 at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-01-19 at 10:29 PM ----------

April's fool joke as professional as possible! I hope Raspberry Pi team consider putting some of those capabilities in the next Gen. FPGA would be most welcome.

Last edited by mahdavi3d; 04-02-2019 at 09:13 AM.
mahdavi3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 AM   #214
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdavi3d View Post
 April's fool joke as professional as possible! I hope Raspberry Pi team consider putting some of those capabilities in the next Gen. FPGA would be most welcome.
Well, if you need an FPGA, you can already add it ...
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #215
mahdavi3d
Orbinaut

Yeap! but I think one benefit of an All-in-one solution could be that the community takes step in a new direction. people with high skills in coding would do the hard job of developing ready to use (or semi-ready) tools, addressing broader range of applications.

Last edited by mahdavi3d; 04-02-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 04-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #216
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri91 View Post
 Due to the basic antenna and lack of amplifier only about 60-70% of the passes result in a good image, but it's still interesting to see how the received images (obviously) correlate to the weather outside.
GLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #217
Fabri91
Donator

Hey, you never know!
Fabri91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #218
Notebook
Donator

Quote:
Raspberry Pi 4 B offers ground-breaking increases in processor speed, multimedia performance, memory, and connectivity compared to the prior-generation Raspberry Pi 3 B+, while retaining backwards compatibility and similar power consumption. For the end user, Raspberry Pi 4 B provides desktop performance comparable to entry-level x86 PC systems.
This product’s key features include a high-performance 64-bit quad-core processor, dual-display support at resolutions up to 4K via a pair of micro-HDMI ports, hardware video decode at up to 4Kp60, up to 4 GB of RAM, dual-band 2.4/5.0 GHz wireless LAN, Bluetooth 5.0, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0, and PoE capability (via a separate PoE HAT add-on).
The dual-band wireless LAN and Bluetooth have modular compliance certification, allowing the board to be designed into end products with significantly reduced compliance testing, improving both cost and time to market.
https://www.elektor.com/raspberry-pi-4-b-1-gb-ram

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48747647

Last edited by Notebook; 06-24-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Notebook is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #219
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Hm, i would have preferred a more compact version of Compute Module or Zero. Trying to scale up the performance feels like a wrong way to go these days.
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #220
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlav View Post
 Hm, i would have preferred a more compact version of Compute Module or Zero. Trying to scale up the performance feels like a wrong way to go these days.
There are other boards around though that try to be less versatile and focus more on certain performance attributes.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #221
Notebook
Donator

Quote:
Raspberry Pi used to steal data from Nasa lab
Not what we want to see:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48743043
Old 06-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #222
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

I don't quite get it... for the device to be vulnerable to attack from outside, it would have had to have its own port forewarding from the gateway, otherwise you could only get to it if you already got into the network. Unless it was compromised already before it got into the network.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #223
mahdavi3d
Orbinaut

Thanked by:
Old 07-31-2019, 08:22 AM   #224
Notebook
Donator

Quote:
A compact experiment aimed at enhancing cybersecurity for future space missions is operational in Europe’s Columbus module of the International Space Station, running in part on a Raspberry Pi Zero computer costing just a few euros.
http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Ima...ube_experiment

Didn't know the Raspberry had got into orbit, good for it!
Thanked by:
Old 07-31-2019, 08:53 AM   #225
Marijn
Orbinaut

Seeing how popular live game streamers are these days, I was wondering if it would be possible to live stream outdoor activities with a Raspberry Pi 4. In my case, the activity would be gliding, puting some extra restraints on the project. At this moment, I am unsure whether terrestrial 5G networks are accessible from 5000 feet or so. If not, I expect satellite internet coverage to become available in the not so distant future.

I am thinking of a 2 camera setup. A main one and another for a smaller inlet on the screen. Also, I want to be able to create an overlay to display telemetry.

I think it would be possible to parse user comments and extract information from it like latlon's.

Does anyone have experience with such a hobby project? Do you think it's doable? What OS would you choose?
Marijn is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge