Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #136
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
You can't control the Web interface via a smartphone, but if this is not needed, then indeed, x86 binary is an overkill.
The pi doesn't present itself as a mobile device in the net.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:23 AM   #137
Enjo
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 The pi doesn't present itself as a mobile device in the net.
But you can control anything that runs Spotify App via another App, whatever the combination.
Enjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #138
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjo View Post
 Do you mean that it's possible to run QEMU on a single binary, without the need of installing an entire system inside QEMU? If not, then it's a bit of a hassle, but possible.
If it's statically linked, yes. If it's dynamically linked, you need to install its dependencies for the architecture in question as well, but QEMU will thunk system calla to the host kernel, so you don't need to emulate guest hardware and boot a guest kernel on it. I've not tried it myself, and apparently there's the caveat that some system calls aren't supported, but it seems the simplest solution for what you're trying to do.

See https://wiki.debian.org/QemuUserEmulation

Also see here for an example of running an x86-app on the Pi itself: http://taoofmac.com/space/blog/2015/02/27/2210
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-20-2016, 12:30 PM   #139
n122vu
Addon Developer

I bought a Pi3 earlier this year for my Stratux setup. Note - the article is a little dated. The current Vilros kit comes with the Pi3, which has onboard WiFi.

Literally the most difficult part of it was assembling the case. All I had to do was load the stratux build of the OS onto the microSD card and put it in the slot. Powered up the Pi and once it was booted, my iPad detected the stratux SSID, I connected, and ForeFlight was showing me ADS-B weather and traffic from my bedroom.

Last edited by n122vu; 10-20-2016 at 12:33 PM.
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #140
Enjo
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguofreak View Post
 Also see here for an example of running an x86-app on the Pi itself: http://taoofmac.com/space/blog/2015/02/27/2210
I ended up with buying Exagear after all. Spotify did run through it, but since I used an USB 5.1 sound card and Spotify lacks option to select output device, it didn't play any tracks. What helped was Spotiamb app, which connects to Spotify account and streams tracks from there. It's a Windows app, but since I got Exagear, I could run it through Wine. I control the app through VNC.

The QEMU solution there is based on Ubuntu for RPi3, but this one failed to boot here.

[EDIT]
Ah yeah. In addition to the Exagear's tutorial, I needed also to download these:
Code:
sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins alsa-utils
where alsa-utils are for testing speakers (speaker-test app)
And here's a guide for the 5.1 Sound Blaster sound card:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-...-Raspberry-Pi/

Last edited by Enjo; 11-04-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Enjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:10 PM   #141
Notebook
Donator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38403423

Quote:
The makers of the Raspberry Pi computer have created a version of its graphical front end that can run on ordinary desktop computers.
The Pixel desktop has been re-worked so it runs on PCs and Apple Mac machines, said the Foundation.
As a quick question, Steam seems to have gone offline here. Is it just me?
Thanks, N.
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #142
Xyon
Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional

http://isup.me/store.steampowered.com
Xyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:20 PM   #143
Notebook
Donator

Thanks Xyon. First time that's happened in my experience. Must have been me whingeing about a dodgy beta program...

N.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #144
Fabri91
Donator

After tinkering with it for a couple of weeks, I got it setup as NAS/torrentbox and Wake-on-LAN server for my main system.

Here the guides I followed, should anyone want to do the same or something similar:
NAS Guide
Transmission Guide
Wake-on-LAN server Guide
Fabri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #145
Notebook
Donator

http://www.alphr.com/raspberry-pi/10...d=229307030955

Quote:
A big improvement on the original Pi Zero, this model’s integrated Wi-Fi makes it even more flexible
Looks like this came out in February, and I missed it.

Last edited by Notebook; 05-17-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:51 AM   #146
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

So, to revive the old thread, i think i like the Pi Zero format much more than the earlier models.

It's a little board that takes a little current, costs some rounding errors, but delivers a full blown computer.

I didn't realize the potential at first, since i kept thinking in terms of "make a cluster out of them". So a dozen Zeroes were packed into a stack, all linked up via crappy OTG ethernet, which was in total quite useless.

But then i started chipping off boards for other projects.

Need a server to monitor city traffic?
Stick a Zero under the table.

Need a brain for a rover project?
Make it's PCB fit a Zero and use that.

As i was working on the rover, i noticed that i was keeping all the code on it, and did all the development right there, on the Pi.
That was the point where i started liking it - each Zero is a project contained within itself, dev and runtime environment included.

And i kept doing it.
Instead of breadboarding a micro or violating an Arduino, just solder an NFC reader to a Zero, and you can develop and debug code for it right at the point where it's used.

Even better, since this thing takes almost no power, is small and is completely self-contained, it's an easy matter to add a powerbank, a smartphone and a pocket keyboard to the mix, and now you are suddenly perfectly capable of working on the same NFC project while sitting on a bench in a park waiting for a certain someone to get the rollerskating out of her system.

All in all, Pi Zero is actually a nice and useful little thingy.
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:30 AM   #147
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
So, to revive the old thread, i think i like the Pi Zero format much more than the earlier models.
The pi zero is great, unfortunately it has too little RAM for our purposes. We're still using it in very specific circumstances where power consumption is the major concern however.

Quote:
it's an easy matter to add a powerbank, a smartphone and a pocket keyboard to the mix, and now you are suddenly perfectly capable of working on the same NFC project while sitting on a bench in a park
I'm not sure if I'd call it "perfectly capable". Every time I use a pocket keyboard I'm getting really annoyed that I'm much slower than with a regular one.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-14-2017, 08:58 AM   #148
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlav View Post

That was the point where i started liking it - each Zero is a project contained within itself, dev and runtime environment included.
This is what makes me mad about the state of modern computing: General purpose processors in *everything* and so much potential everywhere (as shown by the various flavors of Rasberry Pi), but *everything* is locked down tight.

I *should* be able to to run a full Mate desktop with a full selection of ARM Linux apps on my phone through a KVM switch when I'm at home, and then run Android apps on the go (although really, I'd like a better mobile OS than Android, but none exists). That capability *should* come out of the box, but never does. If you've picked a manufacturer that doesn't make getting root impossible without completely replacing the factory image and losing all your carrier-specific features (e.g, WiFi calling), and if you're very lucky, you may just be able to install a Gnu/X environment yourself (I've never managed it).

There are any number of "smart" devices that have the compute hardware to where they should be a lot more useful, but aren't.

What I really want is a world of dumb devices to which I can bolt a brain of my choosing on the back (such as a Pi Zero).
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #149
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Well, there you notice the server developer in me... I want a world where the data processing happens as soon as possible for getting the important data to the workstation as soon as possible and maybe even the raw data dropped in the device, unless it has any scientific value....
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #150
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Quote:
 The pi zero is great, unfortunately it has too little RAM for our purposes.
I wonder what it is?
~350Mb of usable RAM had been more than plenty for my run-a-thing kind of uses.

Quote:
 Every time I use a pocket keyboard I'm getting really annoyed that I'm much slower than with a regular one.
It does have a certain meditative quality to it.
It also forces me to think ahead and plan things out, rather than do a compile-error-driven development.

Quote:
 This is what makes me mad about the state of modern computing:
Sadly, people like us are a couple of standard deviations away from the average consumer, and no one is going to waste money developing features 98% of customers can't use...

Quote:
 What I really want is a world of dumb devices to which I can bolt a brain of my choosing on the back (such as a Pi Zero).
Or open-architecture laptops at least, where you can swap/upgrade major parts like in a PC. Cellphones too, perhaps, but it's trickier there.
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge