Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
Shadow Addict
Orbinaut

Default Dwarf Fortress discussion

This is a topic to talk about DF, anything about it. Gogogo
Shadow Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Anybody know how to get big freshwater lakes during world gen?
Linguofreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguofreak View Post
No. Did you try playing with the parameters?
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Eagle
The Amazing Flying Tuna Can

Quote:
The biggest freshwater lake I've seen was 9 region tiles. I think anything bigger just gets picked as an ocean by the worldgen algorithm. I would think if you made the worldgen make choppier valleys separated by mountains you might get something like that.

FYI the elevation map is generated using a plasma fractal: http://www.ic.stonybrook.edu/Stu/jseyster/plasma/

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/df_talk.html
If anyone cares, the most recent DF Talk (interview of Tarn about game development) was posted yesterday.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 No. Did you try playing with the parameters?
Yes, without much luck so far.

---------- Post added 02-16-10 at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was 02-15-10 at 21:55 ----------

Given the possibility in the game of flooding your fortress by accident, this story is rather interesting:

http://www.damninteresting.com/lake-...vortex-of-doom

An oil drilling crew on a lake accidentally drilled into a salt mine. Imagine their surprise when their whole derrick sinks into a lake that was only supposed to be 10 ft deep...
Linguofreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:

Given the possibility in the game of flooding your fortress by accident, this story is rather interesting:

http://www.damninteresting.com/lake-...vortex-of-doom

An oil drilling crew on a lake accidentally drilled into a salt mine. Imagine their surprise when their whole derrick sinks into a lake that was only supposed to be 10 ft deep...
I had seen a documentary about it in TV...really ugly thing.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:49 AM   #7
Robsoie
Orbinaut

Never ever settle your expedition very close to a zone that has lot of trees and bushes that is extremely close to a volcano opening if you don't have yet marksdwarves patrolling the volcano hole.

I discovered why after a few fire imp noticing my dwarves busy chopping trees decided to start a forest fire.

The first time i saw one, the forest fire takes the form of a quickly advancing big wall of fire.
I can say that after, there were a very lot of jobs openings in my small dwarf external village (was trying to not settle underground for once) :D
Robsoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Eagle
The Amazing Flying Tuna Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsoie View Post
 Never ever settle your expedition very close to a zone that has lot of trees and bushes that is extremely close to a volcano opening if you don't have yet marksdwarves patrolling the volcano hole.

I discovered why after a few fire imp noticing my dwarves busy chopping trees decided to start a forest fire.

The first time i saw one, the forest fire takes the form of a quickly advancing big wall of fire.
I can say that after, there were a very lot of jobs openings in my small dwarf external village (was trying to not settle underground for once) :D
Walling off the magma vent is a good idea too. Its quite fun to get an Urist McWoodcutter has died from the heat as the first warning a fire imp has surfaced. Moats are faster and cheaper, but imps can throw fireballs over them, but the imps are much less likely to surface.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
Izack
Non sequitur

Reviving an old thread to avoid filling the random comments thread with off-topic topical discussion. O_o

My milker recently entered a strange mood and has begun manically working in the carpentry shop. Who knows what he'll make!

Time to build a new one. Dwarves need barrels for their beer, after all.

Edit: Tosid Milkerdwarf has created a legendary birchen armour stand. He went insane, took over a shop and built me a coat rack?!

Edit 2: And while I was distracted with that, I didn't notice this miner:

SIGH. He's been stuck up there for days. May as well build a staircase and get the poor fool down.

Last edited by Izack; 11-02-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
RS-232
No!

This game looks pretty cool! Think I'll give it a go. The graphics reminds me of Ultima IV Quest of the Avatar in my C64 days (Yeah I know I am old)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ultima4.gif
RS-232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
Roady
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-232 View Post
 This game looks pretty cool! Think I'll give it a go. The graphics reminds me of Ultima IV Quest of the Avatar in my C64 days (Yeah I know I am old)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ultima4.gif
Yep,and there are alot of Tilesets,which change the Way DF looks,and makes the Map a bit more "clearer" to read...

if you all want,i can post you a link to the Tileset i currently use...
Roady is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #12
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roady View Post
 Yep,and there are alot of Tilesets,which change the Way DF looks,and makes the Map a bit more "clearer" to read...

if you all want,i can post you a link to the Tileset i currently use...
I don't use tilesets anymore... I like how it is in plain DOS, that needs no improvements...and for the real beauty, I use 3D rendering of my fortress.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:54 AM   #13
Pyromaniac605
Toast! :D

Can anyone point me towards a good DF tileset?
I don't have a problem with the graphics, it's just that I'd rather be able to look at something and know what it is without having to look at a guide.
Pyromaniac605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
Rtyh-12
Orbinaut

Odd coincidence, I've just started to (try to) play DF and this thread pops up
So far I've been following this tutorial. It's a good tutorial, since it has got me from trying to press random buttons hoping that the menus would change to something helpful to actually knowing some of the keys
Rtyh-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
Izack
Non sequitur

Tileset Repository

In an attempt to quit without saving (DF can't be stopped without either saving or force-ending the process,) I picked "Abandon the Fortress." Didn't clue in that it would remove the save file and update the world accordingly.

Oh well, the new fortress is better than the previous one. Perfect location in a valley, flowing water, basalt mineral-rich walls, plenty of soil, no damn aquifer...

I've walled off the whole section of valley and removed all slopes to prevent entry/exit, to see how long they can survive on their own with twelve dwarves. I'll be sure to make some paltry little camp for immigrants.

Last edited by Izack; 11-03-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge