Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #24346
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 Job application always gets a lot easier if you have the opportunity of talking to people before sending in your stuff
True enough. I almost jumped for joy to find out he would be the guy in charge. He is absolutely number one on the list of "Pick your manager".

Everyone in the shop here seems to think it's a done deal. I told them not to jinx me; after all anything can happen.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #24347
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
I think what Thunder Chicken is referring to is that your example resume there implies that you spend most of a century in elementary school.
Well, I had to repeat a few classes...

Hadn't even noticed that. That should've been 1988, obviously. That would be quite the mistake to put into an actual CV...
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:50 PM   #24348
Notebook
Donator

Quote:
"No-one could hear me banging. Black pudding saved my life."
Black pudding has a good side...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42648624
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-12-2018, 03:05 AM   #24349
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Two words: Blue norther.
Linguofreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #24350
Ravenous
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
 Black pudding has a good side...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42648624
Now THAT adds a whole new meaning to Eckythump!

(Obscure '70s TV reference. It's almost as if they knew...)
Ravenous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #24351
steph
Orbinaut

Oh man, this is epic stuff. Must get the books ASAP

Quote:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

H.P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu
Edit: Can't believe no one tried to make a movie about this. He's basically describing an incredibly advanced , sinister alien master race. And this was written before the whole spaceflight thing began. Forget the wraiths of Stargate, the xenomorphs or the Borgs. These guys are waaay more sinister. Seriously, this is good science-fiction material

Last edited by steph; 01-12-2018 at 09:30 PM.
steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #24352
birdmanmike
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph View Post
 Oh man, this is epic stuff. Must get the books ASAP

Edit: Can't believe no one tried to make a movie about this. He's basically describing an incredibly advanced , sinister alien master race. And this was written before the whole spaceflight thing began. Forget the wraiths of Stargate, the xenomorphs or the Borgs. These guys are waaay more sinister. Seriously, this is good science-fiction material
Ummm, search Lovecraft films - Wikipedia lists 20 Cthulhu mythos and 8 others

- (or The Colour Out of Space )
birdmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-13-2018, 12:22 AM   #24353
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Lots of attempts have been made to make a good Lovecraft film, but most of them fall far short. Lovecraft had a great way of describing terrible beings without actually giving too much of a physical description, leaving the worst horror for your imagination to fill in. Most movie makers can't figure out how to translate that to a screen without mucking it up.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-13-2018, 12:37 AM   #24354
Nicholas Kang
Spaceflight News Reporter

This is aweeeee...some... No, I won't stand beside a burning rocket stage...

Chinese villagers captured remarkable footage just after sunrise on Friday showing a Long March 3B rocket booster falling out of the sky, crashing into a mountain and exploding into flames while releasing highly toxic propellants left in its tanks after helping send a pair of Beidou-3 navigation satellites on their way into orbit.

Source: Spaceflight101.com

Just realized I didn't make a launch thread for that. Sorry.

Last edited by Nicholas Kang; 01-13-2018 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Replaced FB link to proper link
Nicholas Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:39 AM   #24355
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

French Rafale Fighters Will Deploy Aboard An American Supercarrier This April
Quote:
A number of Marine Nationale Rafale-M multi-role fighter jets and E-2C Hawkeye airborne early warning and control aircraft, along with 350 support personnel and aircrew, will deploy aboard the USS George H.W. Bush this Spring. Not only will the multi-national operation work to give Rafale-M aircrews much needed carrier qualifications—France's only carrier has been undergoing a mid-life refit—but it also aims to expand the two countries' abilities to operate fighter aircraft cooperatively from the sea for prolonged periods of time.
This looks like it'll be interesting. (In a good way, mind you) Certainly going to be odd to see Rafales on the deck of a Nimitz for more than a few hours to days.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-13-2018, 03:58 AM   #24356
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Kang View Post

{image}

{image}

Chinese villagers captured remarkable footage just after sunrise on Friday showing a Long March 3B rocket booster falling out of the sky, crashing into a mountain and exploding into flames while releasing highly toxic propellants left in its tanks after helping send a pair of Beidou-3 navigation satellites on their way into orbit.

Crazy to go anywhere near that, even if it's not burning you have no idea what kind of toxic stuff is in those things. That sickly orange cloud in that second photo? That looks like hypergolic stuff to me. No thanks, I prefer my lungs to remain in working order, please.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-13-2018, 04:42 AM   #24357
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
 Crazy to go anywhere near that, even if it's not burning you have no idea what kind of toxic stuff is in those things. That sickly orange cloud in that second photo? That looks like hypergolic stuff to me. No thanks, I prefer my lungs to remain in working order, please.
That's because it is hypergolic. That BFRC (Big Frickin' Red Cloud) would certainly have me running upwind.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-13-2018, 07:03 AM   #24358
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Kang View Post

{image}

{image}

Why does the link go through Facebook instead of being direct? I assume you just pasted it out of Facebook?
Linguofreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #24359
Nicholas Kang
Spaceflight News Reporter

Yes, Linguofreak. I saw the news on Facebook first, so I just copied the link and pasted it here. I have updated the link with the proper one that directs one to the news page itself. Thanks for the heads-up.
Nicholas Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #24360
mojoey
JapanAXA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
 Amazon played Ding-Dong-Ditch-It with me today. Got a package delivered, right street address but wrong name. I called and said that I wasn't the intended recipient, Amazon apologized and said to keep the package.

I am now the proud owner of two (2) copies of Tommy Two Shoes. Colorful, but the plot is a bit thin.
Somebody really dun goofed. I happen to work in the outbound side of Amazon these days and I can only think of one or two ways that managed to slip the like...four different places where that should have been caught.
mojoey is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge

Tags