Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #316
pclaurent
Daydreamer

Here is an updated OrionAP.cfg with new heading limits (now 200 to 340°). Just replace the existing one in Config\MFD.

The file includes other enhancements. In the RNT mode, you can somehow control your reentry path if you unlock the Retrograde mode and gently roll the ship to the right for going up, and to the left for going down, until you exactly follow the circles. It can be a funny experience to improve your targeting skills... But note that the initial reentry orbit must exactly match the desired splashdown point. No lateral correction is possible.

I didn't reproduce the "funny characters" problem. Possibly an out-of-limit formating. If you get it again, just send me the info like launch azimuth and MET when you get the faulty display.
pclaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:35 PM   #317
pclaurent
Daydreamer

File attached...
Attached Files
File Type: zip orionap.zip (6.1 KB, 24 views)
Thanked by:
Old 05-14-2017, 07:21 AM   #318
francisdrake
Addon Developer

Thanks for the update! I could start the EM-1 scenario to the ISS with the initial heading without problems.

On the reentry: The default orientation would actually be a 'heads down' attitude with occasional rolls to left and right, but unfortunately there is no autopilot for 'downright' in Orbiter. Not a big thing, just to shut off the retrograde autopilot.

On the funny characters:
I made a screenshot below. They appear regardless of any mode or step, even when still on the ground. They are starting to the right of the information strings.

francisdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #319
pclaurent
Daydreamer

Very strange… Using DXD9 client I tested various MFD refresh rates (1x and 10x par sec) as well as several MFD sizes and never noticed that. Anyway, here is a patch that should solve the problem.

For the reentry process, I’ve chosen to use the Retrograde mode to accelerate the descent and have a more or less predictable descent rate, which is fine for an autopilot… If I use the “head down” mode, the capsule somehow skips on atmosphere, which is normal and perfect for high speed reentry (e.g. return from the moon) as it limits the number of Gs, but more difficult to control from a pure automation point of view. At least it was my opinion, but not so sure now… The result is a not so accurate reentry autopilot, and I would be happy to get some good advices for implementing a better one. The key questions for designing such a tool are:
How to estimate the braking burn point (distance to target or long/lat)?
How to control the descent rate for a more accurate landing point?
And, ideally, how to control the lateral course and maintain the direction to target?
I spent a good amount of hours testing various empirical solutions for all this stuff, but I reached my limits, as I’m not – at all – an aerospace engineer. So all suggestions are welcome…
Attached Files
File Type: zip orionap.zip (6.1 KB, 37 views)
Thanked by:
Old 05-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #320
francisdrake
Addon Developer

The new AP dll works fine! No more strange characters.
It is absolutely great to watch the SLS launch in external view, no need to manually adjust pitch and yaw to reach orbit.

On the reetry autopilot: I see this an added bonus and am happy with it. It allows a more precise landing than any manual retro-burn.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #321
IgorCruZ
Orbinaut

I really liked this project, the exhaust effects of the engines are very realistic, I was able to complete the orbit with the fuel of the first stage, leaving the second stage still complete ... I found this strange, but did not disturb nothing,... good work!
IgorCruZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:34 PM   #322
CommanderJackShmidt
Orbinaut

Hello, I just downloaded MPCV for Orbiter 2016, I made sure I got the right version, but I'm getting:
000000.000: >>> ERROR: No vessel class configuration file found for:
============================ ERROR: ===========================
Orion-MPCV\Orion-MPCV
[Vessel::OpenConfigFile | .\Vessel.cpp | 243]
================================================== =============
000000.000: >>> TERMINATING <<<
CommanderJackShmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #323
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Which version is for 2010? I thought -13 was. But in the -13 zip the docs says it is version 14 for 2016?
gattispilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:13 PM   #324
francisdrake
Addon Developer

I think version 12 was compiled for Orbiter 2016, and all versions after that.

If you download the current version 14 from the front page it should run stable with Orbiter 2016.
Thanked by:
Old 01-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #325
gattispilot
Addon Developer

But which version for 2010?
gattispilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #326
francisdrake
Addon Developer

The old version 11 should still run with Orbiter 2010. I attached it here.
Unfortunately I cannot test it myself, as I removed my Orbiter 2010 installation some time ago. I encourage switching to Orbiter 2016.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Orion-MPCV-11.zip (2.00 MB, 7 views)
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development