Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Space Shuttle Ultra Support & development threads for Space Shuttle Ultra addon.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #61
Wolf
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Its a personal effort by individuals in their free time, not a national effort. And if its not all about this Shuttle, its really about those people.
I see your point. The idea of the flags in the logo came from what they do in real life where different Space Agencies gathering for a program have their flags depicted on the launcher/module or whatever they assembled together; same thing for the mission Patch, where the names or the Country flag of the crew members are shown. I had already thought about adding more flags if and when other Countries' devs would eventually join the team.
So the intention was far from giving the idea of something "exclusive" but if the team doesn't like to have their signature on the Logo for whatever reason I'll drop the flags.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:23 PM   #62
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Well, I personally don't need to simulate NASA*... otherwise I'll extend SSU to the point that you need the permit A38 for being allowed to launch the shuttle.

Also, I like such a mission patch as well:

* Seriously: That is what I think killed many VSA. Trying to imitate an almost dysfunctional bureaucracy. Lets try imitating a functional open-source project.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #63
Wolf
Donator

Nice Patch
Old 08-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #64
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
 Nice Patch
Yeah, the European ISS mission patches all look similar there, the blue color is likely the only hint that its an ESA patch.

Flags are nice for highlighting internationality, but I don't think it really matters in our case - it isn't about being international, its about the Shuttle.

Would I describe the ideal SSU patch, I would choose people surrounding the Shuttle. Many people. Different people. People coming together for the Shuttle.

(And one person above and outside the other people. He made us do it. Sort of. )
Old 08-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #65
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Yeah, the European ISS mission patches all look similar there, the blue color is likely the only hint that its an ESA patch.

Flags are nice for highlighting internationality, but I don't think it really matters in our case - it isn't about being international, its about the Shuttle.

Would I describe the ideal SSU patch, I would choose people surrounding the Shuttle. Many people. Different people. People coming together for the Shuttle.

(And one person above and outside the other people. He made us do it. Sort of. )
I guess the very original National Space Transportation System (NSTS) program logo suffice for us: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ttle_Patch.svg
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #66
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 I guess the very original National Space Transportation System (NSTS) program logo suffice for us: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ttle_Patch.svg
Yeah, we used this one in the past already in place of a project logo.

This one would also be pretty fitting for our current feature set:

Thanked by:
Old 08-03-2017, 07:21 PM   #67
Wolf
Donator

What we seem to agree on is that SSU needs its own LOGO. With 5.0 in work it's probably about time
Old 08-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #68
Wolf
Donator

Working on customizing FDF's for SSU I ran through the LAMP TEST in the Orbit Ops Checklist and discovered it does work.
That's cool

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	15295

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	15296

Name:	02a.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	15297

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	15298

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	15299
Thanked by:
Old 08-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #69
Gingin
Orbinaut

Ahah, That's some nice surprise to click somewhere and discover that it works
Gingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #70
Wolf
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingin View Post
 Ahah, That's some nice surprise to click somewhere and discover that it works
It is indeed
Old 09-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #71
Wolf
Donator

So, as the FDF Checklists customizing job continues I haven't dropped the idea of creating a logo for them.
This is an alternative to the previous one I posted: a bit NASA looking, very simple (maybe too much) and, since some of the devs did not like any reference to them (i.e. Country flags) totally anonymous.
Colored an B&W versions below.
Any comment, crituque, suggestion very welcome as usual.

Name:	SSU LOGO_final01.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	15366

Name:	SSU LOGO_final01 B_W.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	15367
Thanked by:
Old 09-10-2017, 01:52 AM   #72
Donamy
Beta Tester

I think the USA flag on the wing should stay. Just like a Russian flag should be on a Soyuz.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-10-2017, 07:00 AM   #73
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 I think the USA flag on the wing should stay. Just like a Russian flag should be on a Soyuz.
Its not about replacing the flag on the Shuttle or the real historic mission patches, just about having project logo for the SSU documentation.

It was just me who was opposed to using the flags of the current contributors for an SSU logo, because it would either make it very exclusive, since the flags of new contributors would not appear in the logo or require us to extend the logo everytime somebody new makes a useful contribution.

Not a good choice for an open-source project logo.

On the other hand, I would see no wrong in having a "SSU memorial" as "Easter egg" somewhere in-game with the flags and names of the contributors. And we should have a contributor list in the documentation of course - alone for getting away with legal issues.
Thanked by:
Old 09-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #74
Wolf
Donator

I agree on the contributors' flag problem. My intention was to give credit to the former and actual devs (you guys deserve it) but I understand the logo is not supposed to change from time to time depending on new joiners.
About the USA flag on the Shuttle wing I kind of agree with Donamy: after all SSU is not a Deltaglider or XR vessel but rather a replica of the real thing made un USA. This should be recognizible in the logo.
I am also wondering if the NASA logo on the other wing should be added...

Last edited by Wolf; 09-10-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 09-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #75
Donamy
Beta Tester

I vote yes, on the NASA logo also.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra