Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Space Shuttle Ultra Support & development threads for Space Shuttle Ultra addon.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #1096
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Little SSU work here thanks to a lot of official paperwork...

But I wonder the following: Is the optimization for a partition oriented DPS really needed, if we have multithreading? A lot of the work is about hiding the right amount of hardware from the software and abstract the FCOS properly.

Now, would we allow five GPCs executing the software parallel, we would have to solve the full synchronization issues between the GPCs and more CPU load, but the FCOS abstraction could be done simpler. Debugging the actual PASS software would be more difficult, but the DPS rewrite could be done faster.
So, the options are:
1) multithreaded implementation of 1 GPC emulating 4 (or 5) GPCs or,
2) multithreaded implementation of 4 individual PASS GPCs and 1 BFS GPC.

As the graphics are by far and away the limiting factor (at least here), I'm not against running all 5 GPCs (I'd go down that road). If multithreading can be implemented without issues when it comes to talking with Orbiter, I'd say it makes option 2 even more appealing, as it won't cost much more.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #1097
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 As the graphics are by far and away the limiting factor (at least here), I'm not against running all 5 GPCs (I'd go down that road). If multithreading can be implemented without issues when it comes to talking with Orbiter, I'd say it makes option 2 even more appealing, as it won't cost much more.
Well, I expect it to be a bit more troublesome later since we then have multiple times the same process running at the same time. This can make programming software for it a lot harder, but we would also get a bit more time for this part of the development. Especially, we would need to include the SYNC SVC for GNC.

But then, it could also make the result more realistic - the GPC fault voting matrix could actually do something.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #1098
GLS
Addon Developer

Just a heads-up, I added the 3 launch pad Firex systems (that I know of) (see manual for instructions), but currently the particle streams "appear out of nowhere" as some pipes are missing/wrong. The directions are probably also not perfect, but they will have to do until the new pads are done. Same goes for the SLC-6 SSWS.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra