Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

General Questions & Help General & Advanced Orbiter flight questions, Orbiter installation questions, to all other help topics here.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
Dreamer
Orbinaut

Default Orbiter 2016 crashes on startup

Just downloaded and installed, all I get is orbiter.exe stopped working If i try to launch views for example all I get is the Black (forgot the name) screen. Was i supposed to download more addons? I just downloaded the MSI orbiter 2016
I would love to try this if possible. I am running win 7 AMD Radeon 7450

Last edited by Dreamer; 10-14-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Well of course there is more. But that should get you started. Are you running standard graphics or d3d9? I would post the orbiter.log
gattispilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
Dreamer
Orbinaut

**** Orbiter.log
000000.000: Build Aug 28 2016 [v.160828]
000000.000: Timer precision: 2.93295e-007 sec
000000.000: Found 0 joystick(s)
000000.000: Module AtlantisConfig.dll .... [Build 160828, API 160828]
000000.000: Module AtmConfig.dll ......... [Build 160828, API 160828]
000000.000: Module DGConfigurator.dll .... [Build 160828, API 160828]
Old 10-17-2016, 12:24 AM   #4
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Your message was almost as vague as I've ever seen. If you have a question or a problem we will need a lot more information.

That being said, I've never used the msi installer, I always choose the .zip files. That way I always have a baseline version that I can go to when I screw up my copy.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #5
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
 **** Orbiter.log...
Is that all?
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
Dreamer
Orbinaut

That's what my log said nothing more. I will look at it again, since I don't see anyone else with my problem I am guessing it installed incorrectly. I will re-install or try the zip files, I will let you guys know what happens.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

There is an orbiter (application) and orbiter_ng to choose from. The "standard" orbiter.exe looks and works great while the ng requires an external graphics client (and well worth the download but isn't required).
Old 10-21-2016, 05:29 AM   #8
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Did you install the MSI version?
Old 10-23-2016, 02:19 AM   #9
Dreamer
Orbinaut

Yes, I installed the msi version. Here is what I am getting now I launch Orbiter and I get in the small window "Orbiter NG (no graphics)
running in server mode. When I launch some other scenarios I get "Orbiter has stopped working" Hope that helps .

Last edited by Dreamer; 10-23-2016 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:46 AM   #10
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

If you run Orbiter-ng, you also need an external graphics client. Here is the development thread http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=18431

Somewhere in there is a link to the current build, but am at work atm and can't sift through it.

If you are running the standard in-line graphics (not orbiter-ng) you should be good to go. Are you by any chance using a laptop?
Old 10-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #11
Dreamer
Orbinaut

no laptop, When I first had trouble i reinstalled, still had problems so then I downloaded and added the Hi-Res textures, still problems. I thought for sure those hi-res textures would fix problems. I might try the zipped instead of msi version.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #12
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Are you running Full screen or Window? I found my would run in Window only versus full screen
gattispilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #13
Ripley
Tutorial translator

What Windows version are you running?
Old 10-23-2016, 09:45 PM   #14
Dreamer
Orbinaut

Success!!!!!!!!! Here is what happened I installed the msi version which put a icon on my desktop. I tried to run from that desktop icon which is blue. I never checked the folder, so I downloaded the zip went into that orbiter 2016 folder to delete files so I could install the zip files, that is when I saw the red delta glider icon which is also an application. I tried it and it worked.

I just have to install sound. I only ran it for a few minutes, all I can say the graphics look beautiful.

Last edited by Dreamer; 10-23-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 10-23-2016, 10:10 PM   #15
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
 Success!!!!!!!!! Here is what happened I installed the msi version which put a icon on my desktop. I tried to run from that desktop icon which is blue. I never checked the folder, so I downloaded the zip went into that orbiter 2016 folder to delete files so I could install the zip files, that is when I saw the red delta glider icon which is also an application. I tried it and it worked.

I just have to install sound. I only ran it for a few minutes, all I can say the graphics look beautiful.
The red icon is for the normal orbiter.exe which uses the very old DirectX 7 API which on modern computers lead to very poor frame rates. The blue icon is for the "server" version which doesn't have a graphics client built in but one can be added. The only one available is D3D9Client which uses the more up to date DirectX 9 API which takes advantage of the various features that modern graphics cards provide which leads to higher frame rates.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help