Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Space Shuttle Ultra Support & development threads for Space Shuttle Ultra addon.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:40 AM   #31
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItaLiaNKiinG View Post

[/COLOR]Can anybody tell me if this simulation has a more functioning cockpit and if not, what is the realism using it compared to SSU?
Xplane's space shuttle isn't there for the accuracy of the STS, but more of a proving tool for the system on an aerodynamic level. Basically, it's eye candy to prove Xplane can do that kind of simulation.
Samuel Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #32
Gingin
Orbinaut

Quote:
I don't use the CRT MFD module so I don't need to learn that part, just the switches before launch.. I'm fine using the default MFD instrumentsWell actually(.....)I do want it as realistic as possible.. I just mentioned the MFD instruments just in case no one wants to have to learn a whole different set of instruments, I do however want a full working cockpit, which even SSU doesn't have but I'll take my losses..
If you want something as realistic as possible, you have to understand and use the inboard MFD ( CRT) and computer (GPC).
It's the core of the Space Shuttle. For example, you can't neither use generic MFD to fire the OMS in Orbit, nor fire them manually.

Maybe you will enjoy more SSMS 2007, as you will have some visual tips on which switches you have to click on and a full cockpit modelized. However, you will still have to do some research in official documentation to know why you have to click on this particular switch at a particuliar time. It's useless to click just because you are told to click.
Gingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:39 AM   #33
ItaLiaNKiinG
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingin View Post
 If you want something as realistic as possible, you have to understand and use the inboard MFD ( CRT) and computer (GPC).
It's the core of the Space Shuttle. For example, you can't neither use generic MFD to fire the OMS in Orbit, nor fire them manually.

Maybe you will enjoy more SSMS 2007, as you will have some visual tips on which switches you have to click on and a full cockpit modelized. However, you will still have to do some research in official documentation to know why you have to click on this particular switch at a particuliar time. It's useless to click just because you are told to click.
Well clicking where you are told is the first step, then once you master that it's good to learn why, but the why doesn't really matter to be honest.. as long as you know what to do after you click it, there's only mental benefits to understanding it
ItaLiaNKiinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:30 PM   #34
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Quote:
 Well clicking where you are told is the first step, then once you master that it's good to learn why, but the why doesn't really matter to be honest.. as long as you know what to do after you click it, there's only mental benefits to understanding it
I think you should reconsider the validity of this line of reasoning.

The "why" and "what happens" are interconnected, and without understanding the theory behind flicking the switch you're being told to flick, you just might break something. Especially when your eyes wander ever-so-slightly down a few lines. Checklists are written in a sequence because the "why"s of a sequence are important.

It's why we use astronauts instead of monkeys. Monkeys can't troubleshoot.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:47 AM   #35
Thorsten
Orbinaut

Quote:
That's perhaps true in a simple kind of simulations where things never go wrong, where instruments always show simulated truth and where equipment always works.

It's certainly not true in a realistic simulation.

Simple example - you get an engine warning light. What you should do depends on, well, whether the engine is actually out, or whether the warning light shows wrong. Whether the engine is actually out you can try to determine by looking at the accelerometer - if you know where to find it and what it's supposed to currently show during a nominal ascent.

Such a situation you can not handle correctly without knowing what acceleration you can expect during a nominal launch.

Another example worked out in greater detail: See me working through an electrical bus failure, first trying to determine what the fault is, and then, based on that knowledge, what to do.

In this case, a wrong diagnosis of the situation combined with mindless switch-flicking could leave you without power - or blow a fuel cell.

Well, perhaps you should re-consider whether you really enjoy realistic simulations...
Thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #36
Gingin
Orbinaut

Quote:
as long as you know what to do after you click it, there's only mental benefits to understanding it
Well, it's a weird point of view for someone who is seeking for realism
Mental benefit is as important as clicking for realism.

You are not curious to know why you have to click on this or that switch? How work Electric system in Shuttle or Appolo Spacecraft? What are the differences between the Shuttle APU and Normal plane APU? Why you have to click on dozens of switch to start one APU?
Gingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #37
ItaLiaNKiinG
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingin View Post
 Well, it's a weird point of view for someone who is seeking for realism
Mental benefit is as important as clicking for realism.

You are not curious to know why you have to click on this or that switch? How work Electric system in Shuttle or Appolo Spacecraft? What are the differences between the Shuttle APU and Normal plane APU? Why you have to click on dozens of switch to start one APU?
I am interested in understanding what each switch means.. but for right now that comes after I learn the steps.. I don't want to have to understand them as I go, I'd rather learn which ones I need to switch first, then after I master that, understand what they actually do.. along with all the other parts of the spacecraft/aircraft.. I'm flying the A-10C Warthog in DCS (Digital Combat Simulator) right now and it's amazing even though I don't know what all the switches do.. lol
Thanked by:
Old 06-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #38
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Quote:
 I am interested in understanding what each switch means.. but for right now that comes after I learn the steps.. I don't want to have to understand them as I go, I'd rather learn which ones I need to switch first, then after I master that, understand what they actually do.. along with all the other parts of the spacecraft/aircraft.. I'm flying the A-10C Warthog in DCS (Digital Combat Simulator) right now and it's amazing even though I don't know what all the switches do.. lol
Yeah, I can understand that.

Switches don't mean a god damned thing when you're in charge of an A-10. It's just sweet, sweet BRRRRRRRRT
Thanked by:
Old 06-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #39
Donamy
Beta Tester

Quote:
You mean memorize, not master.
Donamy is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-01-2017, 11:34 PM   #40
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 You mean memorize, not master.
To be fair, it's both. You need to memorize the actual switch locations, but master the actual systems behind them.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-02-2017, 02:09 AM   #41
Donamy
Beta Tester

If you forget one, better to know why the master alarm is sounding, and what to do about it.
Thanked by:
Old 06-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #42
ItaLiaNKiinG
Orbinaut

Quote:
 If you forget one, better to know why the master alarm is sounding, and what to do about it.
True.. guess I didn't think about that.. but as I said.. knowing what each switch does and figuring out how to fix a master alarm can come after I understand the procedures, if a master alarm happens to sound, I can just restart the simulator, I have schizophrenia so it's hard to memorize certain things, that's why I need to take it one step at a time
Old 06-02-2017, 06:05 PM   #43
Donamy
Beta Tester

If you stick with it, and have patience, you will get it.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #44
ItaLiaNKiinG
Orbinaut

Quote:
Oh I know, I just wish they would implement a MFD checklist with flashing indicators, NASSP did it and that rocket has a lot of switches also

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

Quote:
I'd even pay them to do it lol
Old 06-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #45
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Edwards View Post
 Yeah, I can understand that.

Switches don't mean a god damned thing when you're in charge of an A-10. It's just sweet, sweet BRRRRRRRRT
Simple to get there. MASTER ARM and then move the switch with "FUN" taped over its original label either to the position "Death From Above" or "One For All".

And always remember: You need to release the trigger, when it feels best.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Quote:
 I'd even pay them to do it lol
Money isn't our problem. Time is it. You could pay me a million every year, it would only be a minor improvement, because there is a thing called family for me.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra

Tags
space shuttle help, space shuttle ultra ssu, tutorial request