Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Beta Topics related to Beta releases of Orbiter and Orbiter development.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:10 PM   #76
birdmanmike
Orbinaut

Well I don't know but first time ever - following the DG to ISS with the beta, into orbit, raised periapsis. aligned planes then went to synch orbits and realised main thrusters ongoing. Throttle was off, and so it showed in cockpit. On and off showed in cockpit but no effect full throttle sound and visual, orbit degrading rapidly. numpad * did zilch. Attitude with joystick appeared partly to work then not but prograde/retro/normal/anti-normal all wouldn't work - buttons didn't move. Orbit projection high speed intercept with hard ground and getting worse so aborted. Basically everything seemed to freeze but no "Orbiter has stopped working" or CTD Any ideas? I did wait for the full 90 mins for the launch window in real time then all the flight in RT up to this synch orbit!

posted here because the beta, right place? Later: oh well it was possibly dodgy time acceleration - synching orbits
but ISS to MIR scenario CTD's the beta on load but probably known - it is still beta after all

Last edited by birdmanmike; 02-01-2016 at 08:36 PM. Reason: idiocy (mine)
birdmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #77
wil
Orbinaut
Default I can't download the beta

I can't download the beta I keep getting an error. What am I doing wrong?
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-03.png
Views:	34
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	14223

Name:	2016-02-03 (1).png
Views:	28
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	14224
wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #78
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Seems to be alright, it's possible that the repo just wasn't reachable at the moment.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #79
wil
Orbinaut

Alright, I will try again later.

Edit: Still not working for me.

Last edited by wil; 02-04-2016 at 04:50 PM. Reason: More information
wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #80
Eduard
Orbinaut
Default Things to notice

Hello developers and others,
I am using orbiter for quite a while now and I am really a fan of the program and its addons.

And now I also decided to see how far development is at the moment and I downloaded the the Beta and I managed to get it work.
I also downloaded the graphics client, D3D9ClientBeta17-forRev47.zip, posted at this forum thread.
I have also downloaded the older Beta revision 13 plus graphics client (the latest version, D3D9Client Beta 12 for Orbiter 2015 (rev 13), from d3d9client.codeplex.com), before I noticed that newer versions of the client where at this forum in this thread.

When I use the graphics client, I am able to run Orbiter successfully at my full screen resolution 3840x2160 (I have an Ultra HD monitor). The standard graphics client always crashes when I try to start it at large resolutions.

But there are some issues I would like to notice:
> When I run Orbiter at this high resolution, some numbers at the Surface MFD are disappeared. I see some black boxes, with missing texts.
I am not shure if this problem also exists with some other MFDs, I don't remember exactly.
> I normally solve this problem above in the following way: I go to the tab for the Video settings. I go to "Advanced". Under the "SketchPad settings", I change the "Device to use" to "GDI only". This solution works for me in Orbiter 2010, but also works in the Orbiter Beta revision 13 that I tried.
The problem is: this setting has gone in the current Beta version. The "Device to use" under the SketchPad settings only shows "n/a". So there is nothing to choose here.

> Another thing: closing the airbrakes (Ctrl+B) of the Deltaglider seems to be broken. It's not working anymore.
Eduard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #81
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduard View Post
 > Another thing: closing the airbrakes (Ctrl+B) of the Deltaglider seems to be broken. It's not working anymore.
Since the DG airbrakes are now working at two levels (1/2 and full) a single key function to deploy and retract didn't really work anymore.

Now it is Ctrl-B to deploy by one step, and Alt-B to retract by one step.

This should already be reflected in the DG manual, but maybe I forgot to push the latest revision of the manual to the repository.

Quote:
When I use the graphics client, I am able to run Orbiter successfully at my full screen resolution 3840x2160 (I have an Ultra HD monitor). The standard graphics client always crashes when I try to start it at large resolutions.
DirectX-7 doesn't support more than 2048x1536 (I think), so for larger resolutions you indeed need to use a different client.
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #82
Hlynkacg
Aspiring rocket scientist

Two questions regarding the new beta.

1 is it possible to find out how far the touchdown points are compressed so that I may animate my shock absorbers rather than deal with my landers legs sticking through terrain?

Further more what do the compression and dampening coefficients do and how do they relate to real world units.

2 How exactly does the panel text illumination work in the DG's vc I was under the impression that the inline client did not support transparent textures or local light sources for cockpits.

Last edited by Hlynkacg; 02-06-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Hlynkacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #83
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlynkacg View Post
 Two questions regarding the new beta.

1 is it possible to find out how far the touchdown points are compressed so that I may animate my shock absorbers rather than deal with my landers legs sticking through terrain?
Not currently.
Quote:
2 How exactly does the panel text illumination work in the DG's vc I was under the impression that the inline client did not support transparent textures or local light sources for cockpits.
It supports both. The floodlights are implemented with local light sources (won't work if you disable local light sources in the launchpad). The panel texts are done with transparent textures.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #84
Hlynkacg
Aspiring rocket scientist

So with the panel text. Do you have 2 mesh groups overlapping? one for the background and one with the transparency. Or are you blitting the transparent texture onto the panel?
Hlynkacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #85
Eduard
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 Since the DG airbrakes are now working at two levels (1/2 and full) a single key function to deploy and retract didn't really work anymore.

Now it is Ctrl-B to deploy by one step, and Alt-B to retract by one step.

This should already be reflected in the DG manual, but maybe I forgot to push the latest revision of the manual to the repository.
Thanks, Alt+B works indeed. And I see the 2 step system now, that's usefull.
Maybe it's also a good idea to also make it visible in the HUD when the airbrake is set at 50%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 DirectX-7 doesn't support more than 2048x1536 (I think), so for larger resolutions you indeed need to use a different client.
Oh, alright. So it's a limitation of DirectX itself. That sounds logic to me. So Microsoft didn't make things compatible with the future.

To make clear what I meant about the MFD texts, see the following screenshot:

Name:	Hi_resolution_MFD_problem.png
Views:	55
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	14234

And now I remember that the same text problem also exist with some other texts, such as the orange texts in the "Challenge 4 - Entry and landing" and "DG to the moon" scenarios.
So I have to run Orbiter at a low resolution in order to make these scenarios working correctly, unless the fact that I am using the D3D9 client.
The SketchPad settings change didn't help against this problem, it only affects the MFDs.

I don't now it this is a problem of only the graphics client or Orbiter itself or both programs together, but hopefully this information is usefull for the developers of both programs.
Eduard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-08-2016, 10:46 PM   #86
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduard View Post
 To make clear what I meant about the MFD texts, see the following screenshot:
This issue will be fixed from the next release of the client.
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:58 AM   #87
martins
Orbiter Founder
Announcement New Orbiter Beta Released (r.48, Feb 13 2016)

Change log:
  1. SurfTile: bug fix: static array index overflow: could lead to visual artefacts and CTD during scene buildup
  2. SurfManager2: bug fix: wrong mask bitflag for INT16 mod elevation tiles, resulting in visual artefacts
  3. oapiCreateSurfaceEx: bug fix: attributes are now passed through to client
  4. tileedit: some bug fixes related to propagation of elevation mod data to lower resolution tiles
There is also a new OVP commit (r.47) to go with this beta, which implements points 1 and 2 above.

I have also uploaded an updated diff file for the 10/08 high-res Earth texture tile: http://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/or..._10_08_diff.7z. This contains a larger area of support for the KSC microelevation data, including flattening most (but not all) of the crawlerway from VAB to 39A and B. Also some of the spurious bumps at various launchpad locations have been flattened. More remains to be done (second KSC runway is still a rollercoaster). If you downloaded the previous version of this texture diff file, you should upgrade to this one, because the previous version contained a few corrupt elevation mod tiles at lower resolution that could lead to visual errors (related to point 4 above).

If you didn't download the previous diff, you can still install this one, but be aware that the high resolution Earth textures must be present in your Orbiter installation beforehand (either the full highres package, or the 10/08 tile from the map picker).
Old 02-14-2016, 01:09 AM   #88
martins
Orbiter Founder
Default New Orbiter Beta Released (r.49, Feb 14 2016)

Change log:
  1. SurfTile::ElevationData: bug fix: incorrect ancestor query at 64-node tile resolutions for low-resolution tile requests
  2. Tile::CreateMesh_hemisphere: bug fix: incorrect elevation indexing for non-32 node tile resolutions
Some more bug fixes I just spotted, related to the new higher-resolution surface patch meshes. This time the bugs created visual artefacts particularly evident for lower-resolution objects (Phobos, Deimos, Vesta).

OVP r.48 implements these bug fixes in the D3D7 client.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:09 PM   #89
SolarLiner
It's necessary, TARS.

Maybe a known issue, but TransX doesn't work on my end on the latest revision, as well as the one before it.
SolarLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #90
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Latest Enjo's TransX?
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta