Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #46
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Huh... Wonder if we could Velcro some JATO-type bottles to the side to help with the decel before touch(crunch?)down. Worth a try... Just make sure that you use the Falcon Heavy upper stage to perform the deorbit burn, or make the Velcro boosters Liquid fuel and DON'T set them to jettison at MECO.

---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

Oooh, just had an idea...
The Arrow can fly endoatmospheric on Mars if you're careful, and the UCGO cargos have parachutes, right? Two words: Bombing Run! That way, we can drop larger amounts of supplies than if we used the Dragons alone. Now the question is, how well do the parachutes on the UCGO crates work on Mars?
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #47
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickSawyer View Post
 The Arrow can fly endoatmospheric on Mars if you're careful, and the UCGO cargos have parachutes, right? Two words: Bombing Run! That way, we can drop larger amounts of supplies than if we used the Dragons alone. Now the question is, how well do the parachutes on the UCGO crates work on Mars?
The UCGO parachutes will work but I don't think they'll land very gently. If you are messing around like that why not just land the Arrow on Mars?
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #48
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Or have DGIVs?
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #49
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Because it can't without editing the .cfg, which wouldn't be hard. However, it's nowhere near as challenging.

Also, it's not my call: mojoey has control. I'm just pitching ideas out there.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #50
mojoey
JapanAXA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 Or have DGIVs?
We just might have to do that. Unless the Antares LR works. We'd still have to worry about getting them back up to Arrow if we use Antares.
mojoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #51
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickSawyer View Post
  Because it can't without editing the .cfg, which wouldn't be hard. However, it's nowhere near as challenging.
Ok, Just tested it and it will need a config tweak but it still seems like an easier option?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #52
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

@ Gary: Huh. OK, I'll try it next week.
@mojoey: Gary's got a point. If we're taking the Arrow all the way there, might as well land it too.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #53
Athena
Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoey View Post
 We just might have to do that. Unless the Antares LR works. We'd still have to worry about getting them back up to Arrow if we use Antares.
Antares LR would have a rough landing at around 15-30 m/s, even with the chutes and brake engines, plus, if it can even land softly it won't have enough fuel to get back to orbit.

EDIT: I just got an idea, use UCD and woo's UCGO Platform and mount them on a Shuttle-A?

Last edited by Athena; 03-25-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #54
mojoey
JapanAXA!

I think that DG-IVs would be best, since the capsules won't cut it.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Ok, looked over the Cosmic Train schedule, and I found this timeframe, leaving Jan 22nd 2014, and arriving early October 2014. Thoughts?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #55
garyw
O-F Administrator

2nd Jan 2014 with a 329 day flight requires only 2,945m/s dV.

I thought you were also looking at a Venus sling?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #56
Pipcard
mikusingularity

What settings will be used for the DGIV? Will it be launched with a DG Launcher to conserve fuel for landing on Mars?

Last edited by Pipcard; 03-25-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:30 AM   #57
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

I don't see why the DG-IV couldn't be taken in the arrow docking bay if it is going to be used. As far as other landers, the Arrow has 2 other docking ports that should be able to hold them.
Bloodworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 AM   #58
mojoey
JapanAXA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodworth View Post
 I don't see why the DG-IV couldn't be taken in the arrow docking bay if it is going to be used. As far as other landers, the Arrow has 2 other docking ports that should be able to hold them.
Well the plan was to use the other two for the landers, but since they can't withstand EDL, a singular DGIV should suffice in the docking bay.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 What settings will be used for the DGIV? Will it be launched with a DG Launcher to conserve fuel for landing on Mars?
Take UCGO fuel aboard Arrow, use it to replenish any lost DGIV fuel.
Thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 AM   #59
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

For a mars landing with the DG-IV, fuel use would be minimal, only about 30-40% of capacity, which is good, as setting up a base will require several round trips. I can do a round trip with less than 75% of the normal fuel load of the DG-IV, and I wouldnt be surprised to learn from other pilots that I am using WAY too much. That being said, 4 UCGO space-fuel cargos should be more than sufficient for the mission.
Bloodworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:34 AM   #60
mojoey
JapanAXA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodworth View Post
 For a mars landing with the DG-IV, fuel use would be minimal, only about 30-40% of capacity, which is good, as setting up a base will require several round trips. I can do a round trip with less than 75% of the normal fuel load of the DG-IV, and I wouldnt be surprised to learn from other pilots that I am using WAY too much. That being said, 4 UCGO space-fuel cargos should be more than sufficient for the mission.
Indeed. Now, question is...what do we bring down?

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM