Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #106
Cras
Spring of Life!
 
Cras's Avatar
Default

You can get to the moon and back on setting 1 [Realistic] with fuel tanks in the bay, a launch vehicle, and good piloting.
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #107
Pipcard
mikusingularity
 
Pipcard's Avatar

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
 You can get to the moon and back on setting 1 [Realistic] with fuel tanks in the bay, a launch vehicle, and good piloting.
I might try setting 2 [Default] (w/ bay tanks and Energia), just to be safe.

Also, I found out that for oxygen:
14 days for 14 people = 32 days for 6 people
7 days for 14 people = 16 days for 6 people

Last edited by Pipcard; 12-10-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #108
Cras
Spring of Life!
 
Cras's Avatar
Default

It will give you some more wiggle room doing the descent. Your window until you have to do an abort will be much bigger.


Its just with LTMFD, your burns can be so precise and you can get over the base perfectly, that the only thing really in your control is the descent.

Give it some practice and see how much fuel is left in your tanks when you hit the atmosphere. Using aerocapture, you may need this setting. Flying a direct return to Earth, once you complete the TECC, you don't need a drop of fuel again for the rest of the trip home. And aerobrake, you best have some drops left in the tank, first obviously to raise the Perigee so you stop ramming into the atmosphere once the apogee is adequate, and you then need again to burn for a de-orbit, but you may need to burn to lower the apogee (with IMFD, you can circurlarize the orbit at any altitude and kill two birds with one burn).

My last few flights to the moon with XR2, I did in fact launch some fuel (not much, just enough for some wiggle room coming home) along with my UCGO boxes aboard a Jarvis-M.

I look forward to seeing your results on your XR-2/Energy trip to the Moon. I have found Energy does not work well with XR2 under D3D9 (the launch capability is boosted under the graphics client somehow, and it destroys the vehicle every launch), so I have not used it for XR2 ops in quite a while.
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #109
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer
 
PhantomCruiser's Avatar

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 Looking over this thread it seems that there isn't too much dissent on the missions list I've posted so I'm thinking of moving things on to the missions assignment thread.

Any objections?
I thought the mission list looked pretty rational. So... No objections here.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #110
Pipcard
mikusingularity
 
Pipcard's Avatar

Default

Direct re-entry is too risky for me.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #111
Cras
Spring of Life!
 
Cras's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 Direct re-entry is too risky for me.
I am with you. I prefer getting into LEO first myself. Safer that way, and since Orbiter_NG client in 2010p1 does not support runway lights, I have to land during the day in order to see the runway, the aerocapture procedure allowes me to pick and choose when and where to land.
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:01 AM   #112
Chub777
Orbinaut
 
Chub777's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 Looking over this thread it seems that there isn't too much dissent on the missions list I've posted so I'm thinking of moving things on to the missions assignment thread.

Any objections?
Place a probe to Mars to select landings sites between OFMM-3 and OFMM-4. Other than that, no.
Chub777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:06 AM   #113
Pipcard
mikusingularity
 
Pipcard's Avatar

Default

About attaching the XR2 to the Energia:

I can get it aligned (correct orientation), but I don't know how far upwards or downwards you should place it to get a good center of mass.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #114
Cras
Spring of Life!
 
Cras's Avatar
Default

My XR2/Energia settings:

Placement: x=0 y=5.32 z=-1.13
rotation 0 0 0
adapter nose=6.49 tail -9.13

Works very well with the in-line client. Destroys the vehicle with D3D9 (Energia autopilots goes all nuts and actaully shuts down under D3D9)
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #115
Pipcard
mikusingularity
 
Pipcard's Avatar

Default

No need to worry, I don't use external graphics clients at all.

Last edited by Pipcard; 12-11-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #116
Pablo49
Orbinaut
 
Pablo49's Avatar
Default

Quick question: Why are we discussing super fine details of only one specific mission? Spent a couple pages going over aerobrake lessons and such. I wouldn't worry too much about if you can fly a certain type of reentry, when you may not even be assigned that mission. Meanwhile Gary's question about if the plan is generally approved went basically ignored. (minus PhantomCruiser and Chub77. ) As far as I know, the finer details of each mission will be discussed later, in their own thread. This jumping straight to details thing won't help now. (if anything it hurts by burying gary's relevant post.)

I am personally fine with the mission plan how it is, Gary.
Pablo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:50 AM   #117
Pipcard
mikusingularity
 
Pipcard's Avatar

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo49 View Post
 Quick question: Why are we discussing super fine details of only one specific mission? Spent a couple pages going over aerobrake lessons and such. I wouldn't worry too much about if you can fly a certain type of reentry, when you may not even be assigned that mission. Meanwhile Gary's question about if the plan is generally approved went basically ignored. (minus PhantomCruiser and Chub77. ) As far as I know, the finer details of each mission will be discussed later, in their own thread. This jumping straight to details thing won't help now. (if anything it hurts by burying gary's relevant post.)

I am personally fine with the mission plan how it is, Gary.
I have no objections to the mission plan, so I didn't need to post anything about it.

I want to know the details in advance so I can be prepared when it comes up. Besides, there's not much discussion going on about the generalities of the mission.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:04 AM   #118
Cras
Spring of Life!
 
Cras's Avatar
Default

Well I volunteered to be involved in the mission planning, so getting into fine details excites me. And its always good to talk with fellow orbinauts and get to know how they do things, and its fun to share my methods and see how people think about their validity.
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-11-2011, 04:19 AM   #119
Zatnikitelman
Addon Developer
 
Zatnikitelman's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 I have no objections to the mission plan, so I didn't need to post anything about it.
So then why post off-topic stuff in the thread for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 I want to know the details in advance so I can be prepared when it comes up. Besides, there's not much discussion going on about the generalities of the mission.
I don't know if you've noticed, but Gary won't let a mission fly unless everyone who needs to, knows all the details. The time for preparing individual missions is coming up, but until a program plan is finalized, talking about specific mission details is useless; what if the program plan changes? This whole expedition is not going to be something thrown together over a few days with all sorts of running ahead and people tripping over each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
 Well I volunteered to be involved in the mission planning, so getting into fine details excites me. And its always good to talk with fellow orbinauts and get to know how they do things, and its fun to share my methods and see how people think about their validity.
Sure it's good to talk, but having a collision of conversations with lots of topics all going on at once is helping no one. Asking for aerobraking advice in a program planning thread only adds to the confusion. As I said above, Gary won't let the mission fly without the right people knowing what's going to happen at each step. If you're one of those people, then you'll know what you're doing before it's time to implement it.
Zatnikitelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-11-2011, 04:27 AM   #120
Pipcard
mikusingularity
 
Pipcard's Avatar

Default

How is discussing a mission (even though it's the specific details) off-topic? Besides, I'm done talking about that mission.

It doesn't seem like the plan isn't going to change a whole lot, anyway.

There was no "collision of conversations" going on.

I hope that a flamewar doesn't start here.

Last edited by Pipcard; 12-11-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:52 PM.

Quick Links Need Help?


About Us | Rules & Guidelines | TOS Policy | Privacy Policy

Orbiter-Forum is hosted at Orbithangar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2017, Orbiter-Forum.com. All rights reserved.