Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Beta Topics related to Beta releases of Orbiter and Orbiter development.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #226
wehaveaproblem
One step closer

Bug

ahoy hoy gents!

So I logged on to the forums randomly today to see what was up with Orbiter, and woot 2016!

I have DLed it and it seems my new rig is too snobby to play DX7 stuff, so I've also (happily) installed the DX9 client too.

So first, let me say cheers martins, great work! Terrain! :D and cheers Jarmonik for the dx9! :D

Everything seems sweet except for one thing/bug. I get a flickering along the horizon, but only when I am landed AND on sufficiently elevated terrain, ie on Ascension Island. I've done some searches and found mention of it, but can't actually find a solution. Is there one? EDIT: doesn't seem to happen with the hi-res textures.... I'm happy :D EDIT 2: nope still happening... EDIT 3: curiously it only happens at certain times of day it seems. I ran time accel and it stopped happening, then started again. Didn't seem to like early mornings or a couple hours around midday... :/ ?

Orbiter finally getting beautiful and smooth could make a man start deving again...

Last edited by wehaveaproblem; 10-07-2016 at 11:12 PM. Reason: fixed?
wehaveaproblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #227
JMW
Aspiring Addon Developer

Welcome back !!
JMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-07-2016, 10:58 PM   #228
JonnyBGoode
Sky Marshal

This is the other issue I originally mentioned. Seeing along the edges of planets with atmospheres, a random jagged flickering phenomenon. It flickers so fast this is the first time I was able to capture it in a screenshot. It's as if sections of atmosphere aren't rendered.

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 That could be related to a cloud shadows. It's know that they can cause issues like that in the inline engine but should not happen in D3D9. Try disabling cloud shadows and see if the problem disappears.
Disabling cloud shadows seems to resolve it (though it's not as realistic...).

Cloud shadows on:

Cloud shadows off:

Last edited by JonnyBGoode; 10-07-2016 at 11:08 PM.
JonnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #229
NukeET
Gen 1:1

Welcome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehaveaproblem View Post
 ...could make a man start deving again...

Hope that it does. Imagine, "Wideawake International: Ascension Ultra 2016 Edition."
NukeET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:34 AM   #230
JonnyBGoode
Sky Marshal

Stupid question: Would it be possible to extend the collision system to include ship meshes, not just ground ones? So you would bounce off ships rather than pass through them?

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Another stupid question. It was probably like this always, but I've just now noticed. In 3D cockpit view in the DG... where's the power buttons for the MFDs?
JonnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:41 AM   #231
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Stupid question: Would it be possible to extend the collision system to include ship meshes, not just ground ones?
You can't use a high-poly mesh for that, the performance loss would be enormous. The ground doesn't actually need to do collision detection with a mesh, just with the altitude point nearest to a given touchdown point, which is quite a different operation.

On the other hand, you can't really use the touchdown points as a collision mesh directly, because you have no normals. Doesn't matter that much when you're bumping into the ground, because the normal of that is known, but if, say, a UMMU bumps into a vessel, the result will be quite different depending on the angle of the impact... which is not known, because the touchdown points are just an outline, not a mesh. They don't have a surface between them, so unless you hit a point exactly, there either won't be a collision, or the result will be pretty random, depending on how you're trying to handle it.

Last edited by jedidia; 10-10-2016 at 06:44 AM.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #232
Keith
Donator

Awesome, only just realized this was out! Thanks!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:24 PM   #233
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Two remarks about the planetary map:

"Find" doesn't seem to work, or it works in such an unintuitive way that I wasn't able to use it.

Seeing longitude and latitude of the cursor position (and/or the selected marker when one is selected) would be neat. Makes flying places without a transmitter a little easier.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #234
Keith
Donator

Hmm. Is this release not compatible with Win 10, or something? Started up, hung up, crashed the system. Odd.

NVM.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #235
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Many of us are running Win10. You will need to be far more specific with what's going on.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #236
Keith
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 Many of us are running Win10. You will need to be far more specific with what's going on.
Yeah, that's as specific as it gets, really. Click on the orbiter.exe to start, everything froze, and had to restart by physically turning the computer off, as even Task Manager couldn't be accessed with ctrl+alt+del.

Only thing that has ever done this in my time on Win 10.

Might be a duff download, perhaps. Trying the windows installer version this time.

In any case, query is answered.

Last edited by Keith; 11-23-2016 at 09:41 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-09-2016, 05:11 AM   #237
Tex
O-F Administrator

I just fired up Orbiter 2016 for the first time. Good fun!

Thanks Martin.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:50 PM   #238
barrygolden
Orbinaut

Just got a new laptop and wondering if windows 10 will work with this ?
barrygolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:27 PM   #239
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygolden View Post
 Just got a new laptop and wondering if windows 10 will work with this ?
Yes.

At least if "this" means Orbiter 2016.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-04-2017, 10:12 PM   #240
Fixerger
Orbinaut

Smile

Missed release by almost half a year! Congrats to everyone! I'm very excited. Is there more detailed changelog somewhere apart from press release?

Update: You need to update Orbiter Tab above forum, it has lots of outdated info.

Last edited by Fixerger; 01-04-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Fixerger is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta