Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Beta Topics related to Beta releases of Orbiter and Orbiter development.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #16
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igel View Post
 Another quick idea: to make some kind of tool or even a simple converter-generator (could be even, better, a script-friendly command-line utility) that can convert a simple 256-bit "heat map style" bitmap into an elevation tile. This way, elevation tiles can be quite freely prepared in just any graphic editor as "heat" bitmaps, split or resized to any desired resolution, then quickly converted to .elv as the last step of the workflow. And then tileedit would only be needed for minor remaining fine-tuning.
face is working on such a tool: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=37452
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-28-2016, 06:12 PM   #17
igel
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 face is working on such a tool: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=37452
Thanks! Looks like exactly what will work for me, especially eve2png/png2ele!
igel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:08 PM   #18
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 Yes, precisely. If it helps, I could upload the tileedit sources. Most people probably won't have access to Matlab to modify this directly, but even so it might be useful for somebody implementing an alternative.
I've now uploaded the tileedit sources to github: https://github.com/mschweiger/orbiter-tileedit

(Why git?!? I hear you gasp - well, you have to go with the times occasionally, and SVN is apparently very much yesterday's geek chic ...)

The code isn't documented (I didn't expect to share it), but it's not very complex and should be fairly self-explanatory.

Waiting for those pull requests ...
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:26 AM   #19
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
 (Why git?!? I hear you gasp - well, you have to go with the times occasionally, and SVN is apparently very much yesterday's geek chic ...)
Thanks for sharing. What makes me gasp more than that it is git controlled, though, is that it is GPL .

---------- Post added at 07:26 ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 ----------

If I understand the code correctly, tileedit effectively clears the lat/lon ranges from the ELE data (it is marked TODO). Is Orbiter ignoring those values?
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #20
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
 If I understand the code correctly, tileedit effectively clears the lat/lon ranges from the ELE data (it is marked TODO). Is Orbiter ignoring those values?
Hm, yes, good point. Orbiter does infer the ranges from the [lvl,ilat,ilng] indices of the tile, rather than the values stored in the file. Nonetheless, I should write the correct values to the header files, if only as a sanity check, even if they are redundant.
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #21
Xyon
Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
 Thanks for sharing. What makes me gasp more than that it is git controlled, though, is that it is GPL
GPLv3, no less.
Xyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:50 PM   #22
igel
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Hm, yes, good point. Orbiter does infer the ranges from the [lvl,ilat,ilng] indices of the tile, rather than the values stored in the file. Nonetheless, I should write the correct values to the header files, if only as a sanity check, even if they are redundant.
This current "lack of enforcement" actually helps to move elv file to a different location and rename it. Not sure how practical, but may be helpful when learning tiles or debugging something. If the indices and/or coordinates will be embedded in a tile, they better not be enforced too tight, to allow for some cheating :-)
igel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:42 AM   #23
dgatsoulis
Orbinaut

Quote:
We really need a detailed step by step tutorial on this.
The user mxk posted the Bulgaria airports 2016 addon a couple of weeks ago.

There is a guide.pdf included, showing the base creation process step by step, using existing addons for Orbiter 2010 (Orbiter Base Maker, SurfTileCalculator) and Face's OT3 for the 2016 conversion.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta