Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > MFD Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

MFD Questions & Help Post your questions here for help with the Multi-Function Displays.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
Anroalh12
ETSII

Default Automatic orbital corrections.

Hi, i'm looking for a mfd that "corrects" automatically the orbit of a ship.
Do you know if there is any MFD that can do this?

THANKS
Anroalh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
kuddel
Donator

It would help if you could tell what a "correct" orbit is in your opinion...
kuddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #3
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

Many of them do that already in one way or another...
boogabooga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:47 PM   #4
Anroalh12
ETSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddel View Post
 It would help if you could tell what a "correct" orbit is in your opinion...
For example. I have a XR2 docked at the Arrow Freighter and they both are orbiting Titan with an altitude of 350km (for example). Then I undock the XR2 and I land it on Titan (for example). The problem is that I do not want to remember adjust the orbit of the Freighter to be aproximately at 350km of altitude. What I want is a MFD or a programm that adjusts the orbit of the Freighter automatically (it adjusts it with the orbital data that I give to it).
Anroalh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
SpaceCowboyJoe
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anroalh12 View Post
 For example. I have a XR2 docked at the Arrow Freighter and they both are orbiting Titan with an altitude of 350km (for example). Then I undock the XR2 and I land it on Titan (for example). The problem is that I do not want to remember adjust the orbit of the Freighter to be aproximately at 350km of altitude. What I want is a MFD or a programm that adjusts the orbit of the Freighter automatically (it adjusts it with the orbital data that I give to it).
If you use the burn time calculator with "CIR" option it basically does half of the work for you. For example you set the periapsis and it make the apoaxis or you just set yourself the apoaxis and it circularize the orbit for you.
SpaceCowboyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #6
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

I think what the OP is looking for is a module that does automatic stationkeeping, so that you can switch focus to another vessel, do stuff, and come back to find your first vessel in the same orbit as before.
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:40 PM   #7
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

If you don't change the orbit, you will still be in the same orbit as before anyway.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
turtle91
Orbinaut

The problem is, if you park a vessel around a slow-rotating body, the PEA/APA drifts a lot after a while. It happened to me at Europa some time ago(Orbiter 2010) :
I left an Arrow at 150 APA/PEA above Europa, and the vessel ended up in a 10*270 km orbit after some(relative short) time.
turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #9
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

That's a perturbation from Jupiter's huge gravity.
Thanked by:
Old 09-22-2016, 11:20 PM   #10
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogabooga View Post
 If you don't change the orbit, you will still be in the same orbit as before anyway.

No, due to perturbations, your orbit will change. Drastically in some cases, such as an object in Lunar orbit left to its own devices, which will eventually crash or break free.

Station keeping is the practice of maintaining certain orbit parameters, usually altitude, but often others as well, so that a particular spacecraft can do its job.

Satellites in GEO, for example, must do station keeping maneuvers periodically to remain geostationary, or else they will drift away to the east or west, and their inclinations will rise.

LazyD had a lunar landing MFD years ago that would automatically do station keeping relative to another object for rendezvous purposes, but it was meant to be temporary and used a lot of fuel, an I don't think it was what the OP is looking for, anyway.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > MFD Questions & Help