Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2019, 10:14 AM   #286
Notebook
Donator
 
Notebook's Avatar


Default

Might be useful for someone:

https://www.elektor.com/pijuice-zero...eid=8fdcb4d06f
Notebook is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-31-2019, 10:30 AM   #287
Marijn
Orbinaut
 
Marijn's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
After reading the product description multiple times, I still have no idea what this thing does. The claim that the power won't be interupted sounds impossible to me.
Marijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:42 AM   #288
Notebook
Donator
 
Notebook's Avatar


Default

The Pi will run on the battery(till its flat of course), if the mains power supply is interrupted.
That's as I understand its purpose.
Notebook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:05 AM   #289
Marijn
Orbinaut
 
Marijn's Avatar
Default

Ah, I see. I am messing around with ESP32's these days, trying to run apps for days on button cells. Compared to those boards, Raspberry's are big power hungry machines.

This was my eureka moment this week:
Marijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-31-2019, 11:12 AM   #290
Notebook
Donator
 
Notebook's Avatar


Default

Just finished this kit, does what it says and is lighting up the front porch!

https://www.elektor.com/velleman-bri...lock-kit-black

Got a EP32 starter kit from Elektor, haven't had any time to play with it yet
Notebook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:26 AM   #291
Marijn
Orbinaut
 
Marijn's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
 Just finished this kit, does what it says and is lighting up the front porch!
Cool! Is it controlled by wifi or ble? (apart from syncing the time using wifi)
Marijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:41 AM   #292
Notebook
Donator
 
Notebook's Avatar


Default

Yes, it has an app.
Quite versatile, rgb sliders for the HMS indicators. Five and fifteen minute markers, a "Pendulum" effect, an invert colour mode. Its quite...colourful!

Not much soldering, just the 60 shields between the RGB LEDs and the cable.

Next kit is a 6 digit Nixie tube clock. More my era, and no SMD, yeah!
Notebook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:42 PM   #293
Marijn
Orbinaut
 
Marijn's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
 Next kit is a 6 digit Nixie tube clock. More my era, and no SMD, yeah!
SMD.. Do you mean 'surface-mounted device' or 'smart device'?
Marijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:03 PM   #294
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore
 
Urwumpe's Avatar

Default

Does anybody have experience in putting a SoC in place of a RC receiver? Like, how well does it work in driving servos, did anybody already use software defined radios?
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:15 PM   #295
Marijn
Orbinaut
 
Marijn's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Does anybody have experience in putting a SoC in place of a RC receiver?
I do not. Do you have any doubts regarding the range, resolution and latency of the signal?

I've heard that Bluetooth5 allows to trade bandwidth for range which should increase the range to a few kilometers and also offer accurate positioning information. That's quite interesting.
Marijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:58 PM   #296
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore
 
Urwumpe's Avatar

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marijn View Post
 I do not. Do you have any doubts regarding the range, resolution and latency of the signal?

I've heard that Bluetooth5 allows to trade bandwidth for range which should increase the range to a few kilometers and also offer accurate positioning information. That's quite interesting.

No, more about the power output of the GPIO pins for those boards - what can they drive directly? Also, I am sure there is a solution for any range (Even if its mobile phone technology).



The main feasibility question is for example, could a SoC drive a sail winch servo?
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:59 PM   #297
Notebook
Donator
 
Notebook's Avatar


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marijn View Post
 SMD.. Do you mean 'surface-mounted device' or 'smart device'?
Surface mounted devices.
They were starting to appear in equipment when I was finishing working in bench-maintenance and doing more operational stuff.

Very clever, and probably essential technology these days. I just couldn't get used to soldering all the pins together then using solder-wick to separate. Just felt bad.
Friend of mine who kept practising says its easy when you get used to it. He was a better technician than me anyway.

Besides, one good sneeze and you've lost 50 of components!
Notebook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:05 PM   #298
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore
 
Urwumpe's Avatar

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
 Surface mounted devices.
They were starting to appear in equipment when I was finishing working in bench-maintenance and doing more operational stuff.

Very clever, and probably essential technology these days. I just couldn't get used to soldering all the pins together then using solder-wick to separate. Just felt bad.
Friend of mine who kept practising says its easy when you get used to it. He was a better technician than me anyway.

Besides, one good sneeze and you've lost 50 of components!

The trick is to not solder. Better use the pan and sand method.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:08 PM   #299
Notebook
Donator
 
Notebook's Avatar


Default

Pan and sand?
Notebook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:47 PM   #300
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore
 
Urwumpe's Avatar

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
 Pan and sand?

Yes, some smart guy found out, that with some small modding, you can use a standard electric pan (for cooking) with some sand to exactly get the necessary temperature for surface element soldering, similar like professionals do, with the sand ensuring a uniform temperature at the SMD elements.



That is a lot cheaper than even a cheap reflow oven - but requires some modding to ensure exact temperature to protect the ICs.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:07 PM.

Quick Links Need Help?


About Us | Rules & Guidelines | TOS Policy | Privacy Policy

Orbiter-Forum is hosted at Orbithangar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2017, Orbiter-Forum.com. All rights reserved.