Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Web Forum A forum for general Orbiter-related comments and discussion. Post your questions about Orbiter and addons in the appropriate forums below. Upload your Orbiter screen shots to our gallery HERE!

Old 03-21-2015, 11:34 PM   #1
Treetop64
Orbinaut

Default A Sense of Accomplishment

> DanSteph's wonderful DeltagliderIV, configured only with the 50 kN MkI engines and the "Realistic - ISS Only" fuel reserve. No additional fuel carried in the cargo bay.

> Loru's and Woo482's equally wonderful HCLV-2-DG to get into orbit.

> Carried the old A4 Electronic Material cargo for "testing".

> 7-day oxygen supply (but with just two crew it stretched to over two weeks).

> Chicken Mode all turned off.

Launched from Pad 01 at Carl Sagan Space Center, landed at Brighton Beach Pad 4 on the moon (didn't refill propellant or oxygen), then returned and and executed a flawless reentry and smooth unpowered landing on RWY 9 back at CSSC. All done in real time (time-warped to either the present time or next maneuver, whichever came first), and all without restarting again from a previous quicksave.

Flying the mission in real time really lends an epic sense of scale to doing something like this.

I didn't expect the sense of accomplishment to be so high, but here I am talking about it. No wonder some of you write blogs!

Truly, Orbiter is one of the coolest toys I've ever had.

Last edited by Treetop64; 03-21-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Treetop64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
TachyonDriver
Donator

Just curious as I've not long returned to Orbiter, what tools if any did you use to nail the reentry?
TachyonDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Congratulations, Treetop!
Samuel Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Treetop64
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TachyonDriver View Post
 Just curious as I've not long returned to Orbiter, what tools if any did you use to nail the reentry?
A combination of BaseSyncMFD, AeroBrakeMFD, and the Deltaglider's PRO104SPEC40 reentry program (a reentry autopilot where you are allowed some limited control over pitch and bank if desired). And tons of reentry practice before the mission. Tons...

Initially during practice, nailing the reentry and making a precise unpowered landing turned out to be every bit as difficult as it seemed like it might be. Even after syncing with the base and having a good alignment setup with AeroBrake, I was still either undershooting or overshooting the target base by hundreds of kilometers if the reentry burn was successful, or killing the crew with over-G or destroying the ship in the burn when trying to keep things centered in AeroBrake.

Finally, after enough practice, I found a nice balance in adjusting the pitch during the reentry burn to manage temps and G-loads at safe levels, and further changes to pitch after reentry to re-align myself with the target base using AeroBrake before setting up for the approach and landing.
Treetop64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum