Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Requests
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Requests If you have a request for a new addon or want to know where to find a specific addon, ask it here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
longmvu
Orbinaut
Default The new NASA Space Launch System

I want to request for NASA Space Launch System.
longmvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
Snaps
Orbinaut
Default Space Launch System

no that the constelation program has been canceled NASA is begining development of the Space Launche System. Could someone please create SLS rocket (Ares IV i think) with the Orion capsule and a senario for a mission to the ISS. I would realy apriciate it if someone could do this. Thanks.
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:59 AM   #3
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer
 
PhantomCruiser's Avatar

Default

I'm sure someone is probably working on it. But don't rush it, the data is still subject to change without notice.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
N_Molson
Addon Developer
 
N_Molson's Avatar

Default

Also you could present yourself on the "Meets & Greets" before posting "I want and addon". That's the regular procedure.
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
garyw
O-F Administrator
 
garyw's Avatar


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 I'm sure someone is probably working on it. But don't rush it, the data is still subject to change without notice.
Very true, Just have a look at how many times constellation was changed prior to being scrapped.

It's also possible to make a decent SLS style vehicle with Velcro or with the awesome Jarvis Addon.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Zachstar
Donator
 
Zachstar's Avatar

Default

How many times have the various addon designers here made an addon only to have it obsolete within a few months by near constant changes from, Safe Simple Soon, To ESAS, to SLS?

Just accept it. SLS is a political Jobs powerpoint rocket in time for the 2012 elections. It WONT fly. So making an addon of some 4 SRB monster that can haul 200 tons to orbit would be just as likely as SLS surviving even politically surviving 2013.
Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
Tacolev
Orbinaut
Default

Well, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful for anyone looking for a US-themed in-line cargo rocket for whatever reason. It all depends on the quality and realism of the add-on.

If anything, orbiter is the most life any of these powerpoint rockets will get.

As for the OP:
I'd suggest trying some of the DIRECT rocket addons, since they are very similar to the baseline proposal that the SLS is based on.
This one is fairly recent
Tacolev is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-17-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut
 
Kyle's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 Very true, Just have a look at how many times constellation was changed prior to being scrapped.

It's also possible to make a decent SLS style vehicle with Velcro or with the awesome Jarvis Addon.
All I ended up with is a Saturn V with SRBs

I imagine a SLS addon will be around soon.. let the details get out soon.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Default

Quote:
Well, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful for anyone looking for a US-themed in-line cargo rocket for whatever reason.
Thinking about that, we really ought to have an EELV evolution addon by now...

T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
Tacolev
Orbinaut
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Neo View Post
 Thinking about that, we really ought to have an EELV evolution addon by now...
Well, we can at least use velcro to tape together EELV parts in interesting ways. You'd be surprised what kind of performance you can get if you make something like a Conestoga with Delta IV CBCs instead of Castor IVs

As far as noncommital shuttle-derived addons go, there will also be Molson's sigma rocket once he releases it into the wild.
Tacolev is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-17-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
DaveS
Addon Developer
 
DaveS's Avatar


Default

Something I have been working on:

DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Default

Shouldn't the propellant tank be orange? I thought I read somewhere that the Saturn V paint-scheme was purely for PR and that they had no technical intention of keeping it on vehicles for flight...
T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #13
DaveS
Addon Developer
 
DaveS's Avatar


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Neo View Post
 Shouldn't the propellant tank be orange? I thought I read somewhere that the Saturn V paint-scheme was purely for PR and that they had no technical intention of keeping it on vehicles for flight...
Now the latest is this: http://nasawatch.com/archives/2011/0...turn-v-an.html

They will paint it, but how is still TBD. I went with the announcement images configuration for now. It will be a simple thing to just repaint the texture when new images is released.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #14
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Default

That makes no sense at all. No foam? Why did Saturn V, STS, and Delta have foam? Why did Ares renders for the last several years have unpainted SOFI?

Delta IV doesn't have an Orbiter on its side to be damaged by falling ice, yet it too has insulation foam... on both the LOX and LH2 tanks.

And what modern launch vehicles have these 1960s-esque "tracking stripes" on them at all, anyway? Sounds like a pure PR decision...
T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:17 AM   #15
DaveS
Addon Developer
 
DaveS's Avatar


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Neo View Post
 That makes no sense at all. No foam? Why did Saturn V, STS, and Delta have foam? Why did Ares renders for the last several years have unpainted SOFI?

Delta IV doesn't have an Orbiter on its side to be damaged by falling ice, yet it too has insulation foam... on both the LOX and LH2 tanks.

And what modern launch vehicles have these 1960s-esque "tracking stripes" on them at all, anyway? Sounds like a pure PR decision...
Read Keith's update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASAWatch
 Keith's update: Well despite the official PAO response, I am now told by several people at NASA with the utmost reliability and knowledge on this issue that the depiction of the SLS in Saturn V-esque paint scheme was done at the discretion of the graphic artist to evoke memories of the Saturn V. My understanding is that they will paint it - but what it will look like no one really knows.

I guess the only way to get a straight answer on this is for someone to ask Bill Gerstenmeier - on the record.
My take on it is that it will have foam, but it will be painted, just like the Saturn V S-II stage: http://history.nasa.gov/afj/s-ii/s-ii-insulation.html
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Reply

  Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Requests

Tags
development, request, sls


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Quick Links Need Help?


About Us | Rules & Guidelines | TOS Policy | Privacy Policy

Orbiter-Forum is hosted at Orbithangar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2017, Orbiter-Forum.com. All rights reserved.