Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old
Orbinaut
Default Building an Apollo simulator.
by Mosselman 01-11-2018, 10:01 AM

All my life I just wanted to be one thing: an astronaut. How amazing would it be to travel through stars and planets. Walk on the moon and life in ISS.
Unfortunately ESA say I couldn't. They say it has something to do with failing a lot of test during my application procedure, which I still think -after all those years- is nonsense. I decided to become the closest thing to an astronaut: Salesman. (#failure #StupidJob)
But always kept dreaming about how it would feel. So I looked a lot to the sky and a while ago start playing Orbiter. But playing Orbiter isn't the same as the real thing. And because my family thinks it is a terrible idea to build my own rocket to shoot myself in a orbit around Earth (pfff, what do they know, Right?) I got a different idea: I want to build an realistic Apollo Simulator using Orbiter and NASSP. But ofcourse not with buttons I have to press with my mouse on a screen, but real buttons, etc, etc.
I was wondering if someone did this before and if that person documented things he/she did?
Views 1153 Comments 8
Total Comments 8

Comments

Old 01-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
Face
Beta Tester

We have a whole sub-forum dedicated to this topic here: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67 .
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
Notebook
Donator

Might be worth keeping an eye on this project:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Open...m_medium=email

Quote:
While this is certainly not the first re-creation of the Iconic AGC (Apollo Guidance Computer) DSKY (Display/Keyboard) used in all Apollo missions of the 1960s, and you can expect even more to appear this year and next year because of the upcoming 50th anniversary of the first moon landing, we decided a few years ago to create our own version that would meet a minimum number of pre-requisites.
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #4
Messierhunter
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
 Might be worth keeping an eye on this project:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Open...m_medium=email
Fantastic! Thank you! I've also wanted to build an Apollo CM simpit at some point, that DSKY kit looks very tempting. The real trick I guess would be interfacing everything with NASSP.
Messierhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
Notebook
Donator

Welcome, I'm tempted as well, still got three kits to finish yet...

N.
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #6
Mosselman
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messierhunter View Post
 Fantastic! Thank you! I've also wanted to build an Apollo CM simpit at some point, that DSKY kit looks very tempting. The real trick I guess would be interfacing everything with NASSP.

It's indeed an awesome project. But I will call the price not that awesome. I think it's cheaper to build it yourself. Wouldn't be that difficult to link it with NASSP. I believe there are addons for that.
Mosselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
4throck
Enthusiast !

For reference, here's the real thing in action.
You can see how fast it updates the screen, the general color of the status lights, etc.

4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-25-2018, 09:21 PM   #8
maxoo
Orbinaut

Hi,
My brother and I have been working on it on our spare hours. It is going slowly, but still we are close to a POC.
Our topic is in the french-ish forum, at http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/in...?topic=12563.0.
Have a nice day
maxoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #9
Messierhunter
Orbinaut

This guy is building a full-scale CM mockup, might be someone to talk to if you want to know more about how to build this kind of project.
https://www.facebook.com/henry.rosal...10736855089831
Messierhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development