Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Visualization Project Orbiter external graphics development.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #256
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankynov View Post
 Btw have you started to look at the atmosphere rendering ?
Yes, I have. It's not as easy to implement as I hoped and it seems to effect in a bit of everything and some codes must be completely rewritten and that will take some time. I was hoping to get the D3D9Client to better shape before focusing into the scattering issue. Also, I'll address all lighting related issues during that process. I know that there are base tile and vessel related lighting problems but they can wait a little.

---------- Post added at 01:25 ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsupagood View Post
 Why is it when I press F4 to load menu or Ctrl + F4 to load the Custom Functions window, it loads but the window turns white and I get "Connection to Direct3DDevice is lost Exit the simulation with Ctrl+Q and restart."

Why does this happen?
I don't know. Nothing like that should happen when pressing F4. The only things those are known to cause "a lost device" is Alt-Tabing in a fullscreen mode and pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete. D3D9Client can't recover the simulation when that happens. As far as I can tell the DX10 doesn't have this problem anymore but it won't help right now.

Could you tell something about the OS and display hardware you have ?

Does anyone know what might cause a lost device when a window appears ?
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #257
edsupagood
Addon Developer

I have Windows 7 32-bit and I run it on nVidia 9500gt, I only get the error in fullscreen mode "1920 x 1080". In window mode everything works fine.

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

I figured it out! I have dual monitors, when I disconected one, problem went away.

Last edited by edsupagood; 01-03-2011 at 01:12 AM.
edsupagood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #258
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Ok, Here is RC8

- Payload bay issue is fixed.
- The *.fx scripts and the D3D9ClientLog.html are moved from the root folder to Modules/D3D9Client/ so, clean up the files from the root.

Note:
D3D9Client.dll is now linked with release runtime libraries.
D3D9ClientSL.dll is using a static linking with debug runtime libraries.

The version of SSU that I have (v1.25 from Orbithangar) doesn't run with the release build.

I have noticed that a use of MemAllocLogic=1 will reduce the frame rate to half so it's not recommended to used that. I have introduced a new configuration parameter "DisableDrvMgm" that could help with insufficient video memory issues. Valid values are "0" and "1". DirectX documentation description of the feature is "Direct3D will manage resources instead of the driver. Direct3D calls will not fail for resource errors such as insufficient video memory." The error code of insifficient video memory is "-2005532292".

It's a bit difficult to locate the latest version from this thread so, if everything is working well in the RC8 it might be good idea to launch a new thread for the releases.

You need a DirectX 9 February 2010 or newer to run D3D9Client http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...7-5ab8109cb4f5

Last edited by jarmonik; 06-13-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #259
Robrutus
Orbinaut
Default Function key menus do not appear.

Sorry, this may sound stupid but the function key menus do not appear when pressed;using ctrl-alt-del shows they appear underneath the main window. Is there a setting I may have missed somewhere. Btw, a brilliant work.
Robrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #260
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 - Payload bay issue is fixed.

The version of SSU that I have (v1.25 from Orbithangar) doesn't run with the release build.
PLB view issue confirmed fixed, no CTDs with the release build with the latest In-work version of SSU. Rock-steady and very good FPS.

Great work once again.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #261
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robrutus View Post
 Sorry, this may sound stupid but the function key menus do not appear when pressed;using ctrl-alt-del shows they appear underneath the main window. Is there a setting I may have missed somewhere. Btw, a brilliant work.
Thanks about reporting this. I can confirm the problem and it seems to be related in multisampling in a fullscreen mode. So, disabling the multisampling from a video tab or using a windowed mode should help. I'll take a look if there is something I can do to fix it.

EDIT: It's very well said in the ducumentation that there can be no multisampling with Win32/GDI based dialog boxes in a fullscreen mode.

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsupagood View Post
 I have Windows 7 32-bit and I run it on nVidia 9500gt, I only get the error in fullscreen mode "1920 x 1080". In window mode everything works fine.

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

I figured it out! I have dual monitors, when I disconected one, problem went away.
This problem could be connected into the multisample/fullscreen problem discussed in a previous post. In a dual monitor setup that could cause a lost device. Can you reproduce the "lost device" with multisampling disabled ?

Last edited by jarmonik; 01-04-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #262
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik
 It's a bit difficult to locate the latest version from this thread so, if everything is working well in the RC8 it might be good idea to launch a new thread for the release.
You could do like Artlav does with his long development threads and keep the first post updated with the latest release links/notes...
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #263
Maquis
Orbinaut

I know this is probably not the best time to submit requests regarding this amazing project, but I'd like to post mine anyway, as I'm not sure if they've been suggested before.

What I'm currently working on is a full size mockup of a LM. I plan to integrate it with Orbiter in the future, and so here we can find some unique problems - some of You who probably seen what people can do with several monitors in simulators already know what I'm talking about.

What I need most is an ability to set fixed cameras and send their viewports to predefined monitors. This way I could set views that would fit window positions, solving an issue with enhanced monitors (no gap). Possibility to send MFD to small LCDs would also be great feature for onboard instruments simulation, which with physical instrument would be hard to do.

Cheers. Keep up the good work!
Maquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #264
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Default D3D9ClientRC9

I have released the RC9 and it's located in the first post of this thread.

I have already started to work with the atmospheric scattering and I have done some cleaning in the effect files and preparing them for the scattering. I hope I haven't broken anything in the process. Following files MeshTech.fx, PlanetTech.fx, Particle.fx can be removed from /Modules/D3D9Client/

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquis View Post
 What I need most is an ability to set fixed cameras and send their viewports to predefined monitors. This way I could set views that would fit window positions, solving an issue with enhanced monitors (no gap). Possibility to send MFD to small LCDs would also be great feature for onboard instruments simulation, which with physical instrument would be hard to do.
I can't promise anything at this point but I will keep that in mind. I am not exactly sure how to render in multible monitors at the same time. I suppose two monitors could be ok but having more than two monitors could be a problem.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #265
Weirdo Earthtorch
Orbinaut

Hi Jarmonik

Thanks for your work on this.

A quick test revealed that RC 9 appears to have broken the mesh-based planet surface rendering (Phobos, Deimos) which were OK in RC 8 (using SL version).
Weirdo Earthtorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #266
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Default D3D9Client RC10

Issue with mesh-based planets/moons fixed.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #267
Maquis
Orbinaut

Quote:
 I can't promise anything at this point but I will keep that in mind. I am not exactly sure how to render in multible monitors at the same time. I suppose two monitors could be ok but having more than two monitors could be a problem.
Thanks!
Well, I know for sure that Orbiter runs on two monitors with DX9 client beyond DX7 limit (I run ~2500 pix). I wonder if any of You tried it with two 1920x1080 tv screens? It should still be within DX9 limits.

Heh... looks like nobody makes square LCDs I guess pivot option would be nice for those small monitors. As for the rest - with that Matrox box I could split screens up to three monitors on one line, and use second line for small LCDs. Alternatively use SLI concept for more ports. Now the problem is how to identify exact monitors - I guess some preset would have to be added, which ones to use as camera(s) output and which ones for MFDs.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion. I'm sure that in 99% of cases people won't be interested with this...
Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #268
edsupagood
Addon Developer

Quote:
 This problem could be connected into the multisample/fullscreen problem discussed in a previous post. In a dual monitor setup that could cause a lost device. Can you reproduce the "lost device" with multisampling disabled ?
When multisampling is disabled, with dual monitors still causes the lost device.
edsupagood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:22 AM   #269
Maquis
Orbinaut

Hmm, anyone of You tried running AMSO scenario "Apollo 15 final landing with dust"? If yes - have You seen shadows? I seem to lack object and vessel shadows in the sim. However in built in DX7 they show up fine.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #270
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquis View Post
 Hmm, anyone of You tried running AMSO scenario "Apollo 15 final landing with dust"? If yes - have You seen shadows? I seem to lack object and vessel shadows in the sim. However in built in DX7 they show up fine.
The vessel shadow issue will be fixed from RC11. Currently D3D9Client doesn't support shadows from particle effects and surface meshes.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project

Tags
d3d9client, graphicsclient