Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter-Forum.com > Meets & Greets
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Meets & Greets New to Orbiter or just new to this board? Say hello and introduce yourself to the community here! Feel free to also post birthday or holiday greetings here.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #76
n122vu
Addon Developer

I'm Brian Crane. I am 33 and live in the bustling metropolis of Huntingburg, IN (or KHNB as I affectionately refer to it in FS). If you've ever seen the movies "A League of Their Own" or "Hard Rain" you've seen a piece of Huntingburg

I have a wife and a beautiful miracle of a daughter who was born 4/29/07 weighing only 12 ounces and only 9 inches long. After 7 months in the NICU, we brought her home, along with a room full of home medical equipment. She is the joy of my life. Unfortunately, due to complications from her premature birth, she lost all vision in one eye and most vision in the other. Very hard to deal with for someone who loves aviation and hoped she could do all the things I only wished I had the chance to... But she is the happiest child I've ever seen and that just makes me appreciate her life that much more. We are still hopeful that future medical advances will help restore her sight.

I am currently a desktop PC technician/web designer/server admin for a global manufacturing company. I love playing guitar and piano, programming, PC gaming - anything from WoW to FPS games, but my passion is flight simulators and anything aviation-related.

I do not have any real-world flight training, though I have flown commercially and also as a passenger in a Grumman Tiger (my wife and I went to the open house for a nearby college when I was considering a career in aviation. The callsign of the Tiger we flew in? N122VU...) Unfortunately the drive back and forth would have been more than a killer one, and as badly as I wanted to do it, the money just would not have worked out for us. Oh well, maybe someday, when my daughter's health is better...

I first got into flight sims with MSFS 95, and have been there ever since, with the exception of 2002 version (got married in 2000, so didn't have time/money for that either LOL). I currently fly FS2004, and after building a PC last year that will run it well, I am close to making the jump to FSX.

I first found Orbiter in summer 2004 (not sure which version) while in Atlanta, GA for an MCSE boot camp. I didn't get very far with it back then and thought it looked out of my league, but yet was spending a lot of time in Eagle Lander 3D
http://www.eaglelander3d.com/

Anyway, about a year and a half ago I stumbled back onto Orbiter while looking for something to distract me from the issues we were facing with our daughter, and the rest is history. I discovered the online community and was surprised at the support this sim has. I became a regular in the forums at dansteph.com and ended up being one of the main beta testers for the DGIV (didn't even realize until last week I made the TY list in the manual).

My latest ventures have been in the realm of station building, which I am really finding quite enjoyable. I hope to someday have the time and energy to use my programming talents to give back to the Orbiter community.

Well, that's me. In a nutshell.
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #77
Pilot7893
Epik spaec mishun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
 How are things getting worse? I've been here my whole life too and I enjoy the area, though I'm on the lake. Eventually I would like to get some land in the hill country for my quieter days though.
You live in Houston? Have you ever been to JSC?
Pilot7893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #78
Quick_Nick
Passed the Turing Test

Quote:
 How are things getting worse? I've been here my whole life too and I enjoy the area, though I'm on the lake. Eventually I would like to get some land in the hill country for my quieter days though.
Well, Baytown anyways... sorta. But if I lived on a lake or in hill country I don't think I could complain.
Quick_Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #79
Tex
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot7893 View Post
 You live in Houston? Have you ever been to JSC?
Sure, many times! It's only a 5 minute drive from my house. I'm in the JSC Astronomical Society and we got the privilege of a complete tour, including the Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #80
Pilot7893
Epik spaec mishun!

Quote:
 Sure, many times! It's only a 5 minute drive from my house. I'm in the JSC Astronomical Society and we got the privilege of a complete tour, including the Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory.
Did you get to go in it?
Pilot7893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #81
ar81
Orbinaut

I am too old to be young, and too young to be old...
And in case you want to know where I live, I live here.
I was born in an alien planet in an unknown solar system...
ar81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #82
nasakid
Space Nut

Hi My Name Is Zach Hence One OF My Youtube account Zachmister. i am a space addict and a Orbiter addict.

and as i was writing this i was launching a shuttle in orbiter

Last edited by nasakid; 08-05-2008 at 01:41 AM.
nasakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:46 AM   #83
Tex
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot7893 View Post
 Did you get to go in it?
Nah, we didn't get to get in it, but I am a diver my profession and a friend works for NASA was going to get me a job as a diver working with the astronauts, however the pay wasn't anything like what I make now, so I turned it down, but how cool would it be to work with them!!
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:02 AM   #84
Vector
Orbinaut

Just joined the fora; just found out about them, for that matter. I've had Orbiter for a while now, lack of time has kept me from doing much more than burning up while re-entering. I'm suddenly keen to change that.

Vector
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:09 AM   #85
Jarvitš
Orbinaut

Hi, my name is Tatjana and I'm 18. I'm currently studying natural sciences and mathematics on the university of Sarajevo, and I've found orbiter while doing research for a university physics project. I've been interested in astronomy as far back as I can remember (it probably started with my parents' obsession with astrology), and I've taken an interest in spaceflight and the physics behind it soon after that. Besides space, my other interests are mathematics, sailing and photography.
Jarvitš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:18 AM   #86
Acepilot
Orbinaut

My name is Daniel. I am a Mexican - American. I have been with the Flight Simulator Community for 3 years now (MSFS) and loving it. I joined Delta Virtual Airlines a year ago and have been rated Captain in the Boeing 757, I have bought FS2004 and FSX. FS2004 being my favorite. I currently have passed Private Pilot Ground School going for my PPL. I am going into my Junior year at High School. I am an experienced AFJROTC (Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps) cadet, currently ranked C/Captain going into C/Major and hoping to be C/Colonel by my senior year. At my JROTC unit I help others know how flight works using MSFS2004. I discovered Orbiter 2 years ago but my PC was of low quality and I decided to wait until my PC was suitable for FPS. I was interested in space since I was in second grade, read every book I could find on the subject then went onto Commercial Aircraft which is now my primary interest next being space flight. I am also very smart with computers. I'll keep Flight and Space Simming for years to come.

That's me.
Acepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #87
W35M4N
Unregistered Non-User

Hi everybody, I was just saying hi, I have been playing Orbiter for a month orso and although I basically just fly around, sometimes going up out of the atmosphere and re-entering I really like this game so I thought it would be a good idea to come here, especially after reading the "You know you play too much Orbiter when.." thread. I'm not sure there's much else you need to know, but a lot will probably come up in other conversations. Well, I guess it would be useful to say I'm male.
W35M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:43 AM   #88
Mik
Orbinaut
Default Just to say Hi!

Hello everyone! I'm new to Orbiter and the forum. Just wanted to stop in and say hello.

I'm Mike Pittman and I live in Southern California. I'm an Aircraft Mechanic by trade and retail sales of consumer electronics by necessity...lol.
I was a big fan of Microsoft's abandoned Space Simulator and have been several years without my Space Sim fix.

This is such a fantastic project...and an absolutely WONDERFUL product and I hope, in time, I'll be able to help support the community with addons...or at least some occasional helpful input or advice.

Anyway...happy to be on board

Mik
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:30 AM   #89
ryan
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
 Hello everyone! I'm new to Orbiter and the forum. Just wanted to stop in and say hello.

I'm Mike Pittman and I live in Southern California. I'm an Aircraft Mechanic by trade and retail sales of consumer electronics by necessity...lol.
I was a big fan of Microsoft's abandoned Space Simulator and have been several years without my Space Sim fix.

This is such a fantastic project...and an absolutely WONDERFUL product and I hope, in time, I'll be able to help support the community with addons...or at least some occasional helpful input or advice.

Anyway...happy to be on board

Mik
Welcome to the forums, it's good to see a new member who actually talks on the forums.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #90
Bluefinger
Orbinaut

Greetings.

Another newbie who somehow stumbled across Orbiter a little while ago, but due to a short-lived addiction to Age of Conan, postponed trying it out. Downloaded it two nights ago, and now I'm hooked (still learning how to do anything, but I'm getting there!). Loving the Deltaglider IV so far.

Now... about myself? British by accent (and a posh one at that), but not of descent. I am a student, and generally a computer geek. I don't usually play simulation games, though an occasional racing game and combat flight sim always go down well with me. Mostly play a few online FPS games and RTS games (Total War series FTW). I am also quite partial to manga (not so much anime... though the occasional movie I still watch), of which my inspiration to try out Orbiter came from the manga, Planetes (which is one of the best I've read).

Overall, I'm enjoying the Orbiter experience. Whilst I'm trying to get used to the rather steep learning curve, I do enjoy a good challenge. So keep up the good work!
Bluefinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter-Forum.com > Meets & Greets