Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter-Forum.com > Meets & Greets
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Meets & Greets New to Orbiter or just new to this board? Say hello and introduce yourself to the community here! Feel free to also post birthday or holiday greetings here.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #1
Jeorbit
Donator

Article Nice to meet you!

Hi Guys! Jerome here, nice to meet you all!

I first tried Orbiter more than 10 years ago and that did not turn out pretty

At the time I was fully immersed into X-Plane and when I found myself wanting more than atmospheric flying I started designing swept wings gliders with powered vertical take-off. My challenge was a powered vertical take-off from Europe, engine cutoff around 80k and then to glide across the Atlantic.

It kind of worked and I then had the need for something more spacey. Of course, you already know how it went next :

- Arrogant simmer downloads Orbiter : "wow, the switches! I'll feel right at home here!"
- Arrogant simmer launches Atlantis. Because, well, wings.
- Arrogant simmer discovers that physics in space is "all screwed up".
- Arrogant simmer does not want to admit it, but Orbiter is too much for him.
- Arrogant simmer quietly goes back to the lower layers of the atmosphere flying X-Plane

Basically I hit that orbital mechanic learning curve (wall) head front and lacked the maturity to dig into it.

Followed too many more hours in X-Plane again, and then KSP came along. It really, really hooked me (and still does, actually!). After a truck load of hours sending Kerbals all around, I finally got to a point where I knew you just don't achieve orbit by shooting stuff straight up

And then, of course, I remembered Orbiter

This time it went much, much, smoother. I'm still very much an Orbiter noob, but at least I can go places (achieve orbit, dock with ISS, Mir and that wonky Papybar station, do not burn upon reentry... stuff like this).

These forums, and the wonderful Orbiter community as a whole, really helped me get started. I'm indebted to the add-on makers and amazed by their dedication and the work they've done (I mainly fly Altea's extraordinary XR2 and got a bit into that very promising Orion MPCV addon).

I still struggle with many, many parts of Orbiter (the flying and the sim itself ), I'm a bit frustrated because I know I'm still missing a lot the sim has to offer, but I believe it is now for me one of those "go to" sims, along with X-Plane and KSP, that I always come back to, even after years of not flying it.

Well, that was a long blurb. Especially since I'll probably be more of a lurker! But I really wanted to say hi and a huge thank you to the wonderful Orbiter community. That, and tip my hat to the addons contributors

Cheers!

Last edited by Jeorbit; 08-22-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Jeorbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

to Orbiter-Forum!

dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Wow! Nice, entertaining, and well-written presentation!
Why remaining a lurker with such a good english?

Welcome to OF Jeorbit!
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #4
jacquesmomo
Addon Developer

Bienvenue !!!
jacquesmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:59 AM   #5
Jeorbit
Donator

Thanks guys! (et merci Jacquesmomo ).

Ripley, indeed I can help with translations and eventually with tutorials once I've build up better skills! Thanks for the kind words!
Jeorbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter-Forum.com > Meets & Greets