Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #16
RisingFury
OBSP developer

And there is our daily reminder that nothing lasts forever.
RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-15-2019, 11:34 PM   #17
Mister Kite

The interior right now:

Amazing gothic architecture.
Mister Kite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #18
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Kite View Post

We just need to stick a bunch of supermutants in there and we have the next installment in the Fallout series.
RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-16-2019, 07:22 PM   #19
Zandy12
Add-on Developer

I have never seen the Notre Dame Cathedral before, so hearing this is truly heartbreaking knowing the fact that I won't be able to see it ever in its full originality for the rest of my life. I hope nobody got hurt.
Zandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #20
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy12 View Post
 I have never seen the Notre Dame Cathedral before, so hearing this is truly heartbreaking knowing the fact that I won't be able to see it ever in its full originality for the rest of my life. I hope nobody got hurt.

Well, just remember: Nobody in the forum ever did.

It was greatly renovated in the 19th century, after Victor Hugos novell Notre Dame was released. The famous spire of it (le fleche) was added during that period. Before, it was essentially just a facade with ruins inside, the spire far less impressive:

It was Victor Hugo, who really created the myth of Notre Dame, before his novel there was really little interest into this gem.

All gothic cathedrals are perpetual construction sites, always something gets fixed or changed. There are only very few years in history, where you had been able to see the Cologne Cathedral without scaffolding, which is very suitable for Cologne....
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #21
Mister Kite

about the renovation.
I hope they're going to use steel and glass.
You know....give it the "Reichstag treatment".
Not only to prevent making it to shoddy, but also to make sure it can last for at least another 800 years.
Thanked by:
Old 04-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #22
steph
Orbinaut

Yep, when looking at medieval stuff, it's amazing how often it got burnt/rebuilt. I guess this one is an exception, but usually, even castles got burnt/looted /whatever then rebuilt. If there are any marks/traces, they are witthin the original walls. That's pretty much the story with many medieval monuments (it dates from the 13th cetury, right?) : lots of stuff happened to it, but the original shell more or less remained, and they rebuilt
Edit: Saw it twice, and I never could have guessed the spire was wooden inside. I never understood why they built medieval buildings with a wooden roof. Why not make them entirely out of stone? Why fortify the walls like crazy, when the roof is the equivalent of the one on a big house? They had catapults, even then.

Last edited by steph; 04-16-2019 at 08:05 PM.
steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #23
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
 about the renovation.
Not only to prevent making it to shoddy, but also to make sure it can last for at least another 800 years.

Not sure if that makes sense for it.... I would prefer a roof structure like on the Cologne Cathedral (Iron and copper), which at least looks medieval despite not being it below the surface.

Also, I doubt the Reichstag cupola will last 100 years without significant repairs....
Old 04-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #24
Notebook
Donator

Quote:
 about the renovation.
Though I would disagree!
The Reichstag has unique history in modern times, if at least for its political history. It was burned down before...

I'm totally ignorant of Notre Dame, but I'd like to se it restored to some point in its 800 years that would be representative. Though how you separate the architecture from the trade skills from its religious history?

Be interesting to watch.

N.
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #25
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph View Post
 Yep, when looking at medieval stuff, it's amazing how often it got burnt/rebuilt. I guess this one is an exception, but usually, even castles got burnt/looted /whatever then rebuilt. If there are any marks/traces, they are witthin the original walls. That's pretty much the story with many medieval monuments (it dates from the 13th cetury, right?) : lots of stuff happened to it, but the original shell more or less remained, and they rebuilt

That is what really impressed me about the Cologne cathedral: Not just that it was build over multiple centuries with different available technologies, right below it are old roman structures still preserved after 2000 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph View Post
  Edit: Saw it twice, and I never could have guessed the spire was wooden inside. I never understood why they built medieval buildings with a wooden roof. Why not make them entirely out of stone? Why fortify the walls like crazy, when the roof is the equivalent of the one on a big house? They had catapults, even then.

Because of mass constraints. A too heavy roof would mean you need more wall structure to carry it - which means less windows. And it was all about the windows in essence.

Just compare this gothic cathedral:

With that late romanic cathedral, which already had many design elements later used in gothic churches:

Old 04-18-2019, 12:50 AM   #26
Zandy12
Add-on Developer

Thanks for sharing Urwumpe!
Zandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:23 AM   #27
Mister Kite

In remembrence of the pre 2019 Notre Dame, you can now download Assassin's Creed Unity, (which take place in Paris 1789) for free.
https://register.ubisoft.com/acu-not...giveaway/en-GB
Ubisoft will also donate 500.000 euro for the renovation.
Thanked by:
Old 04-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #28
Notebook
Donator

BBC quick review:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47971044

N.
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge