Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:14 AM   #24376
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguofreak View Post
 Flying spaceplanes in KSP or Orbiter is always a bit weird: I'm used to using SI in vacuum (or with tower and capsule vehicles) and KIAS, miles, and feet of altitude in atmosphere, but the default instrumentation in both only gives SI with true groundspeed. Last I checked (with Orbiter 2010), surface MFD in Orbiter had an option for IAS, but it didn't seem to work right at altitude (IIRC, at high altitudes the reading was always too high). So I'm always having to convert units in my head during atmospheric operations.
Well, the book in the above post was written in the Apollo era and uses English units.

However, it also uses something you likely haven't seen in KSP or Orbiter: canonical units, such as earth radii and so forth. There is good reason for it, when you go through the text and problems.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #24377
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
 Well, the book in the above post was written in the Apollo era and uses English units.

However, it also uses something you likely haven't seen in KSP or Orbiter: canonical units, such as earth radii and so forth. There is good reason for it, when you go through the text and problems.
Which is somewhat the opposite problem from what I have in Orbiter/KSP, you're in vacuum, but the units aren't SI.

As for canonical units, I am used to dealing in AU, solar masses, and years for larger scale stuff.
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #24378
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

One of our devices went offline, as it turns out because the SD card died. And it died utterly and completely. As in, sd card readers don't even register that you inserted anything when you plug it in. I've never seen anything quite like it. It's like the insides of the card don't exist in the same reality anymore. Like, I've never even seen a floppy that was that far gone. What happened to that card?

Let me grab a rifle and some survival gear and go hunting for a mythological monster that does unspeakable things to SD cards. I think that's part of what I'm getting payed for. Maybe should check back with the boss first...
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #24379
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 One of our devices went offline, as it turns out because the SD card died. And it died utterly and completely. As in, sd card readers don't even register that you inserted anything when you plug it in. I've never seen anything quite like it. It's like the insides of the card don't exist in the same reality anymore. Like, I've never even seen a floppy that was that far gone. What happened to that card?

Let me grab a rifle and some survival gear and go hunting for a mythological monster that does unspeakable things to SD cards. I think that's part of what I'm getting payed for. Maybe should check back with the boss first...
Recall that an SD card is, effectively, a really tiny hard drive, and that the slot you plug it into is effectively the end of a bus. If the drive electronics are fried hard enough, it won't respond to anything that it's plugged into in any way. A floppy disk was just a storage medium with no electronics of any kind, and the slot you plugged it into contained all the control electronics and mechanical stuff needed to read that medium. If a floppy was as dead as could be, a healthy drive would still mechanically detect the presence of the disk, and when you tried reading/writing, the drive would return an appropriate error. And if the drive was so fried as to be undetectable, a good disk would still read fine in any other drive.

That said, the most common failure mode I've seen for SD cards is to suddenly become read only and silently fail to write anything.

Unrelated rant: Linux has sane process management, does swapping sanely, etc. Android, supposedly in the interest of power management, manages to insert some crapware layer in between the application layer and native process management that breaks everything. On fairly beefy hardware I can hardly keep two apps open at the same time, and my media player stops playing music not long after I switch focus to my browser.
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #24380
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Quote:
 What happened to that card?
There are many possibilities, most of them producing a condition where the card fail to react in any way to any signals from the host, essentially making it appear like the slot is empty.

Can be as simple as a power line being corroded, can be some sort of static shock killing the circuitry, can be bit rot killing it's firmware, can be some chinese part inside failing short and burning the wires, etc.

Nothing surprising, really.
Artlav is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-16-2018, 02:24 PM   #24381
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post

And that reason (or at least one of them) would be that μ (the standard gravitational parameter) is simplified to equal 1 when generic distance and time units are used.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:38 PM   #24382
steph
Orbinaut

Quote:

I once plugged an SD card into my laptop's default card reader (It was actulally a microSD with an SD adapter) and tried to copy some photos. The card reader doesn't properly idenfify the card (can't remember if it said it has a malfunction or viewed it as empty) and, after a while, I smell burnt plastic. Realizing something's up, I look for smoke around the laptop, and nothing. I touch the SD card, and it was searing to the touch. Shut down everything that moment, of course, and when I pulled it out, the microSD was basically welded to the adapter. I couldn't retrieve any info from that, even using USB card readers
steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #24383
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Practicing my 9-finger typing after getting an ugly wack by a sword...
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge

Tags