Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Hardware & Software Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Hardware & Software Help Hardware & Software related questions & help.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:24 AM   #16
Majid
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSWNJ View Post
 My son is at university, learning to code C, C++, Python, Java, on Linux using vim, gcc makefiles, and gdb from the command line. It's brutal compared to what we do as devs do in Windows in a nice graphical Visual Studio Express or full verison. Is there a better way, using just a text interface, not an X Window?
Doesn't sound brutal to me! MSbuild is brutal imho. In all seriousness though, imo cmd line based tooling is awesome because it allows you to chain commands to automate stuff and build your own tooling. Like for instance, it's really easy to build a go program through vim, and I can even build Orbiter C++ plugins in Vim via MSBuild. Vim can do pretty much anything.

Here's a screenie of me doing a fuzzy file search, and showing git integration where the green + indicates a new line has been added, and much much more. Even has very good IntelliSense for Python/Golang/C# (via omnisharp). I think my next editor is going to be Neovim.

Last edited by Majid; 12-10-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Majid is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2018, 08:03 AM   #17
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
It's brutal compared to what we do as devs do in Windows in a nice graphical Visual Studio Express or full verison.
It's got nothing to do with Windows. It's mostly got to do with university teachers being fond of archaic tools...

I'm not saying those tools are bad, but they have a somewhat steep learning curve, which imho is not ideal to throw at novice coders.
There's perfectly good editors available in Linux, VS code being only one of them. So script languages are mostly no problem. For anything building for a JVM, Jetbrains IntelliJ IDE beats everything and everyone without even trying, and there's a very capable free edition of it.

You won't get around command-line compilation, though. Not in the long run anyways. As a matter of fact, practically all build processes are ultimately command-line based, IDEs merely provide an interface for it (and, in case of Visual Studio, it's not really the best...). Whatever build system is running under the hood, it's ultimately command line based, and it's very healthy to do the footwork by yourself for a bit. Helps a lot when you'll be setting up Jenkins pipelines or similar later on, and ultimately an automated build and deployment pipeline is what you need in a production environment, not an IDE that spits out an executable on a mouse click...
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Hardware & Software Help