Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Backyard Rocketry
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Backyard Rocketry Model, Amatuer, Experimental, and High Power Rocketry. Vehicle and Motor/Engine Design, Physics and Math, Fabrication, Flights, Testing and Evaluation. Share your rocket projects here!

Old 04-01-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Abdallah
An orbiter
Default What would it take to get something into orbit for this?

Rocket mass 1110kg
Payload to LEO 1kg

I'm imagining a bunch of stuff, like using aerospike-like inside out nozzle on the first stage, but with an extending nozzle section correcting for pressure, allowing the "spike" to act more like a wing, allowing efficient slow ascent through lower atmosphere, and using engines of higher stages to store prop for lower ones. I'd like a conical nozzle, though biconic and tri- would be fine. Just curious......
Abdallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:22 AM   #2
RGClark
Mathematician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdallah View Post
 Rocket mass 1110kg
Payload to LEO 1kg

I'm imagining a bunch of stuff, like using aerospike-like inside out nozzle on the first stage, but with an extending nozzle section correcting for pressure, allowing the "spike" to act more like a wing, allowing efficient slow ascent through lower atmosphere, and using engines of higher stages to store prop for lower ones. I'd like a conical nozzle, though biconic and tri- would be fine. Just curious......
This is a possibility:

http://exoscientist.blogspot.com/201...sy-page-2.html

Using altitude compensation would be useful, but even more important is lightweighting the stage. For instance using carbon fiber propellant tanks or solid motor casings can improve your mass ratio by double for each stage.

This can result in a mass ratio of about 5 for solid rocket motors, even for small motors of the type you’re considering. Then you can see a three to four stage rocket using solid motors can reach orbit even with standard nozzles, no altitude compensation required.

Bob Clark
RGClark is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Backyard Rocketry

Tags
backyard satellite, backyard space rocket, diy rocket, diy satellite, diy space rocket