Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Astronomy & the Night Sky
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Astronomy & the Night Sky Astronomy news & discussions, Astrophotography, Telescopes, Star Charts, & more. Galaxies, Stars, Planets & Moons, discuss it all here!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #31
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

I saw the ISS go overhead last night. Almost directly overhead - 87 elevation, and -2.4 Magnitude. Amazing to watch. I also had the binoculars on it (7x50s). You could see that it was larger than a star, and rectangular in shape, but you couldn't pick out any details. Still really cool to see it through visual aids. I tried a while ago with the 'scope but couldn't track it properly. Must try that again sometime soon
agentgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #32
SiberianTiger
News Sifter

Photos

I watched and photographed the ISS passage as was seen from Moscow on May 19's evening. I only have an ordinary camera, so here's what I was able to get:

I also took picture of the UARS satellite passage direct overhead (Ursa Major's tail stars are visible):

SiberianTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #33
Orbinaut Pete
ISSU Project Manager

The first time I ever saw the ISS, it was completely by accident. Now though, I'm completely hooked, and I try to see the ISS every time it passes near me (when there's no cloud - which is about 10% of the year in England)!

The maximum elevation I ever see the ISS at is 65, however, when I go on holiday to the Balearic Islands later this year, I hope to be able to see the ISS at 90, and maybe Hubble too.

By far the coolest thing I've ever seen was back in March this year. About 1 day after STS-119 had undocked from the ISS, I saw Discovery come over, followed about 10 seconds later by the ISS. It was amazing - two points of light moving across the sky...
Orbinaut Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Astronomy & the Night Sky

Tags
flares, iridium