Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Astronomy & the Night Sky
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Astronomy & the Night Sky Astronomy news & discussions, Astrophotography, Telescopes, Star Charts, & more. Galaxies, Stars, Planets & Moons, discuss it all here!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #16
Whatu
Interplanetary Stowaway

I check heavens above from time to time to see if there's something interesting in a short time. However im yet to see my first identified satellite. (Ive seen others just by luck). I am also eager to see my first Iridium flare...

EDIT: I've just seen my first Iridium Lasted like 3 or 4 seconds, and was magnitude -1 according to heavens-above.

Last edited by Whatu; 08-17-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Whatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #17
Quick_Nick
Passed the Turing Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosammy View Post
 I saw my first flare while watching the lunar eclipse at around 22:03 in the east, satellite was moving from south to north, no Iridium Flare was predicted by Heavens-Above. What of the following could it have been?:
{image}

-----Posted Added-----

OK, I think it was the Cosmos 2369 Rocket. Can such things make flares?
Well... if by flare you mean a lit satellite pass, then yes. (as indicated by Heavens-Above) A flare isn't the same as a regular pass. A flare lasts a few seconds and usually gets much brighter than any satellite would normally be. (and a flare's magnitude depends heavily on exact location; Get your exact coordinates!!!)
Quick_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #18
astrosammy
Dash!

It was a very bright, 1 second flare.
EDIT: And I was not able to see it before, only my mother saw it before the flare.
astrosammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #19
Quick_Nick
Passed the Turing Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosammy View Post
 It was a very bright, 1 second flare.
EDIT: And I was not able to see it before, only my mother saw it before the flare.
Guess it's a flare then. Be sure you have exact coordinates (I use Google Earth to find them) in Heavens-Above for accurate flare prediction.
Quick_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #20
astrosammy
Dash!

I have the exact coordinates. Maybe it was an Iridium satellite that is not used anymore.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #21
reverend
Beta Tester

Orbitron is a must have. http://stoff.pl

I've seen hundreds of identified satellites and numerous iridium flares.
reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #22
astrosammy
Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverend View Post
 Orbitron is a must have. http://stoff.pl

I've seen hundreds of identified satellites and numerous iridium flares.
Thanks for the link, I'll try that out tomorrow after shool.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #23
SlyCoopersButt
Orbinaut
Thumbs up

Wow thanks for the link Reverend! Just the software I've always wanted!
SlyCoopersButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #24
Yoda
Donator

I'm more interested in Sattelite (and ISS) Photography through my scope.
( See my picture's in forum post 2 weeks ago)
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #25
mbartley
Orbinaut

Where I live now is right next to several shopping centers and car dealerships, so few satellites are bright enough to see. A few however, ISS and Iridium flares in particular, are so bright I've just randomly seen them several times when I just happened to be outside, or even in my car.

Some of the best things I've seen:

Launches from Vandenberg air force base right after sunset leave a spectacular smoke/vapor trail lit up by the sun. I haven't seen that for years unfortunately - they usually launch at 2am lately, like the NOAA-N launch recently. (The solid rocket engines from night launches are sometimes visible. The only things big enough to see during daytime were Titan 4s.)

During the one of the Shuttle-Mir missions years ago, I once saw the space shuttle, Mir (both very bright) and a Soyuz following each other across the sky.

I saw the malfunctioning spy satellite USA-193 a day before it was blown away. Fast and bright.

I saw Columbia directly overhead at a lower altitude than usual. It was overcast, but it was so bright I still saw it easily.

I saw space shuttles reentering from 28.5 degree orbits a few times. They looked much like one of the distant airliner landing lights I see so many of on the horizon, but moving 10 times faster and leaving a faint smoke trail (in the middle of the night with no moon, no less - how was it visible?)
mbartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #26
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbartley View Post

I saw Columbia directly overhead at a lower altitude than usual. It was overcast, but it was so bright I still saw it easily.

I saw space shuttles reentering from 28.5 degree orbits a few times. They looked much like one of the distant airliner landing lights I see so many of on the horizon, but moving 10 times faster and leaving a faint smoke trail (in the middle of the night with no moon, no less - how was it visible?)
Wow, awesome!

When you saw Columbia, was that STS-107?
T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #27
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

I've seen so many Cosmos satellites go by its not even funny with loads of other random satellites. I've seen ISS loads of time (Its going to be even brighter when the S6 Truss is installed) HST I've seen many times aswell.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #28
Pilot7893
Epik spaec mishun!

Only when I'm camping, because it's the only time the sky is dark enough.
Pilot7893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #29
mbartley
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Neo View Post
 Wow, awesome!

When you saw Columbia, was that STS-107?
No, it was STS-90.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sh...es/sts-90.html

(Spacelab, 150 miles altitude, 39 degrees inclination)

Decending-node reentries from 39 degree orbits flew directly over northern California. I told myself I'd go see it next time they flew such a mission, though realistically, I knew I wouldn't because I'd probably drive several hours only to end up in fog or overcast. The next such mission was STS-107...

I don't remember which mission, but one of the (way off to the south) reentries I saw was also Columbia. So I saw it landing, in orbit, reentering, and in the maintenance hangar in Palmdale. Unfortunately, I never saw it launch though (or likely will any with other orbiter).
mbartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #30
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac

Wow, cool.

I wish I could see a shuttle launch...
T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Astronomy & the Night Sky

Tags
flares, iridium