Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Astronomy & the Night Sky
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Astronomy & the Night Sky Astronomy news & discussions, Astrophotography, Telescopes, Star Charts, & more. Galaxies, Stars, Planets & Moons, discuss it all here!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #76
adamb193
Lighting Geek

Well we are only the third most intelligent animal on the face of the Earth, behind the dolphins and the mice. So who are we to judge?
adamb193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #77
Ghostrider
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamb193 View Post
 So who are we to judge?
I think Denis Leary summed it up best in "Save This".
Ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:34 AM   #78
Tommy
Orbinaut

Quote:
Citation Needed.
Unfortunately, i don't have the time to sift through the noise, searches turn up tons of references to Cleve Backster's claims (http://www.theastralworld.com/psychi...ts-psychic.php) and The Intention Experiment (http://books.google.com/books?id=d55ebAAvZRYC)

While both support the theory I refer to, neither should be considered any sort of reliable evidence. The more scientifically valid experiments are lost in the noise, since books and "psychic fans" outshine a simple, dull university science paper. Also, rather than using electrodes as Backster did, the Uni's used cameras and other sensors to detect actual movement by the plant.

As for animals, we tend to make the mistake of assessing them in terms of human intelligence. We consider Apes intelligent, and they can learn to communicate with humans using a human language (American Sign Language), and even teach other Apes to do the same. Yet we can't figure out the Ape's own language.

Parrots can have fairly large vocabularies, (one had a 971 word vocabulary, better than some people I know!), and will initiate conversations. No human has yet learned to speak "parrot".

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the...st-animals.htm

It's entirely possible, even likely, that in some areas some animals are smarter than us. "Technological Intelligence" is apparently not one of those areas, but it's far from the only measure.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:18 AM   #79
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Quote:
Parrots can have fairly large vocabularies, (one had a 971 word vocabulary, better than some people I know!), and will initiate conversations. No human has yet learned to speak "parrot".
That's because parrots don't "speak" with a high level language, at least not until we teach them english (or whatever you speak). Parrots are fairly intelligent, some can even form simple sentences and seem to understand the synbology of language (google Alex the African Grey parrot), but their natural "language" consists of sounds and body movements that mostly convey emotions. Parrots kept in isolation all make the same noises, unlike human language which develops differently when people are isolated.

But we can all communicate emotions with a parrot, and they with us, by tone of voice, body movements and eye contact, which is really all parrots are communicating to each other.

Last edited by Andy44; 04-05-2009 at 04:22 AM.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #80
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac

Quote:
As for animals, we tend to make the mistake of assessing them in terms of human intelligence. We consider Apes intelligent, and they can learn to communicate with humans using a human language (American Sign Language), and even teach other Apes to do the same. Yet we can't figure out the Ape's own language.

Sure- these are quite intelligent animals.

As communication experiments with animals have shown, animals cannot conceptualise. Their thinking is based on the present and the past, and they are unable to form a concept of the future.
That is what seperates us from all other animals on the planet.
For all our technology, it had to be imagined by someone first.

I'd put the ability to conceptualise as the defining factor in "intelligence".
And perhaps if a whale does not show such behavours as a human, how would you know if it was intelligent?
T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #81
Ghostrider
Donator

Cats are smarter than humans. They domesticated us for good and we never saw it coming.
Ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Astronomy & the Night Sky