Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Tutorials & Challenges Feel free to publish your tutorials, challenges, & flight scenarios in this forum.

Old
Orbinaut
Default Orbiter 2016 on Mac
by fatcat 07-31-2018, 08:15 AM

__________________________________________________ ____________

Last edited by fatcat; 08-03-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Views 993 Comments 8
Total Comments 8

Comments

Old 07-31-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
MontBlanc2012
Orbinaut

Another approach is to use Wineskin Winery. This is much the same as Wine but you can also install the visual c++ dependencies.
MontBlanc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:40 AM   #3
MontBlanc2012
Orbinaut

Ok.

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

This post is going to be part one of three about installing Orbiter 2016 on a Mac laptop using Wineskin Winery. It will focus on getting the basic Orbiter 2016 program up and running. The second part will focus on installing the D3D9 client and OrbiterSound. And the third part will provide a few examples about installing assorted mods - e.g., TransX, IMFD and BTC, etc. - in fact, anything you jolly well please.

Wineskin Winery is a free program designed to put a 'wrapper' around a Windows executable. However, it is a little more comprehensive than Wine (see fatcats original post) in the you can think of it as a bare bones Windows machine with all of the usual bells. From memory, it even comes with internet explorer and msdos installed, for example. The basic version of the wrapper runs Windows XP (yes, feel free to chortle dear mainstream Windows users!) and that's generally good enough for Orbiter. One can change the default settings to select a different operating system but that may require that you have an appropriate license key. So, unless you really need to change, I would suggest you stick with the defaults.

To get the ball rolling, you need to download the Orbiter 2016 program. You will also need to download s copy of Wineskin Winery from here: Wineskin Winery download page.

When you have downloaded Wineskin Winery, you can either leave it in the Downloads folder or move it to the Applications folder (probably best). Then activate Wineskin Winery by double clicking the icon. You should see something like the following:

Although this screen allows you to do a number of things, all you really want to do it this stage is 'create a new blank wrapper' - so, select that button with your mouse and the you should see:

This allows you to name your new wrapper. Here, I've elected to call it 'Orby16' (mainly to distinguish it from a wrapper 'Orbiter 2016' which houses my current working version of Orbiter).

Hit, 'OK' of course. After a while you should see:

So, you've now constructed your new blank virtual Windows machine running Windows XP. Select 'View Wrapper in Finder' and note its location. In the Finder, you should see something like:

Here, you can see the 'Orby16' wrapper and another one called 'Orbiter 2016'. As mentioned above, the latter is my working Orbiter 2016 version.

OK, so where to from here?

The next step is to install Orbiter on your virtual machine. To do this, select 'Orby16' with your mouse and then use whatever keys you need to on your laptop to 'Show Package Contents'. Once you work out how to do this (Google it!) you will see the package contents and it will look something like this:

The two relevant things to note is the 'drive_c' folder; and the Wineskin icon. The 'drive_c' folder is the root directory of your virtual windows machine; and the Wineskin icon is the window to a set of Wineskin utilities. For now we're just going to focus on those utilities. So, double click the Wineskin icon. You should see:

This gives you a bunch of options and two are particularly relevant - the Install Software option and the Set Screen Options. We'll come back to the latter - for the moment, we just want to install the Orbiter 2016 software. So, hit that button. You should see:

This gives you a number of ways to load software into your virtual machine, but in this case the one we want is the Choose Setup Executable option. Hit that button. This should open a Finder window and you should then move to wherever you downloaded Orbiter 2016 to. For example:

Select the Orbiter 2016 executable and hit return. This should come up with something like:

Now we're in the business of loading Orbiter 2016 proper! Do we want to install Orbiter 2016? Yes, or course - so hit 'Yes'. The virtual machine will then start extracting files.

When it is finished, it should come up with the following screen:

Select 'Next' of course to continue with the installation.

Accept the license conditions and continue:

And then hit install. This will then do what Windows XP computers normal do as in:

When it is finished, you should see:

Success! Nearly done now with the basic Orbiter installation. To check that it works check the Launch Orbiter 2016 box and you should see:

Yay! Now hit exit and we return to Wineskin Winery to finish off the software installation. You should see something like:

Now obviously, we don't want to run this program whenever we run Orby16 - so we need to change the program that is executed when we launch Orby16 on our Mac. Use the selection box to select 'Orbiter.exe' as in:

And then press OK. Now, whenever we run 'Orby16' from our Mac, the Wineskin wrapper will run Orbiter.exe on the virtual machine. And having pressed OK, we should be back at:

We can then 'Quit' and we should be back under normal Mac control.

So, to summarise, we created a 'wrapper' - i.e., a bare-bones Windows XP machine; and installed the default Orbiter 2016 on it. So, now we need to run it. To do this use the search function to locate Orby16:

Then double click on the Orby16 icon. If everything has gone well, you should see:

(I've manually re-sized the window here). Then you can select a scenario, say:

and then you can Launch Orbiter.

Now, please note that the D3D7 client, the Orbiter 2016 default, may now work overly well. For the time being, don't worry about this. In the next post, I'll work through loading the D3D9 client and Orbiter Sound as well. Then we'll tinker with a few Wineskin screen settings; and also fix up the Orbiter key mapping so that we can use it on a Mac laptop.

But that's all for now.

---------- Post added 08-03-18 at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-02-18 at 02:50 PM ----------

OK, let's continue with the installation of Orbiter 2016 on a Mac laptop using Wineskin Winery. Although I said I was going to talk next about installing the D3D9 client and Orbiter Sound next, there are a couple of housekeeping things that we need to focus on first. These are:

1. Setting up a quick link from the Mac Finder to the Orbiter 2016 directory on the Virtual Windows machine. Setting up this link just makes it easier to access the folder.

2. Change the keymap settings. Mac laptops don't have a number keypad so without changing these settings, it's actually quite hard to get a vessel to do anything at all. Although 'fact' has provided his settings, changes here are a matter of taste and I'll show you how I've modified my keymap settings.

3. Change one of the screen driver settings in Wineskin. Changing this screen setting seems to remove a fair chunk of the screen flicker I would otherwise have with the default Wineskin screen settings. This works for me. It may not work for you in which case you may have to experiment.

But, to begin...

Use the Finder winder to locate the 'Orby16' Wineskin icon. (This was done above so you just need to repeat that process). Do whatever you need to do on your Mac to select the 'Show Package Contents' option. You should then see something that looks like:

As before 'drive_c' is the root drive of your virtual Windows XP machine. 'Wineskin' is a window onto a number of Wineskin Winery control setting and utilities. And 'Contents' contains a bunch of Mac stuff that allows your virtual machine to interface with your laptop.

Double click on the 'drive_c' icon. This opens the root drive and you should see something like:

These are the folders on your virtual Windows machine on the root drive. Obviously, one of them is now 'Orbiter 2016'. We want to make a Finder shortcut to this directory so that we don't have to repeat the above process every time we want to examine the contents of the Orbiter root directory. You will notice that on the left-hand bar, there is already something called Orbiter 2016. This is a short-cut to my proper Wineskin installation of Orbiter. We now want to add another one for this new Orby16 set-up. To make the short-cut, just select and drag the Orbiter 2016 folder on the right-hand side to the bottom of the list of references on the left-hand side. You should then see something like:

We now have two references to Orbiter 2016 on the left-hand side. The top one is a short-cut to the Orbiter 2016 directory on my proper installation; and the bottom one is the same but for the new 'Orby16' installation. Double click on the quick link for the Orby 16 installation and you should see:

This is the set of files and folders in the root directory of Orbiter 2016 on the Orby16 Wineskin installation. Remember this is a window from a Mac into an emulated Windows XP machine. However, you can move files from here to you Mac as you would with any other Mac folder; and you can manipulate some files - e.g., text files - just as you would on the Mac.

Personally, I don't like the standard layout of the Folder window ands I generally switch to the list form:

Most Orbiter 2016 users should be familiar with the contents listed - albeit that these are now being displayed using a Mac Folder view rather than uses the Windows version of the same. Clearly, the expected directories are there - Config, Doc, Scenario, Modules, etc.. And although there is a lot of stuff in there that we need to add to and/or change as we start loading assorted mods, there is one file that we need to focus on immediately and that the 'keymap.cfg' file. This contains a description of the map of actions with key strokes and the default settings are set up for a keyboard with a number keypad. But, as most Mac laptop users will know, a Mac laptop does not generally have one of those. So, in order to manoeuvre our vessel in Orbiter, we need to make a few changes.

As mentioned earlier, these changes are largely a matter of taste. But sometimes it is just easier to copy what other people have done. Now 'fatcat' has supplied (I think) his changes. Here, below, is how I've changed mine.

First, let's open the 'keymap.cfg' file in a text editor. The default Mac text editor is TextEdit and unless you have installed another editor, double clicking on the 'keymap.cfg' file icon should open up the file using this editor. When you do this, you should see:

This gives the complete listing of all of the actions and the corresponding key stroke sequences that you need to press in order to invoke the action. The ones that we need to focus on are those that make reference to the number pad. I've isolated these below:

My preferred way of changing these number keypad entries is to replace references to the NUMPAD with a reference to the Mac laptop keyboard 'Command' key. In Wineskin, a press of this key is interpreted as [ALT] so a systematic change of the key mappings gives:

So, for example:

* if I want to kill rotation, I will hit the Mac 'Command' key AND the '5' key simultaneously;

* if I want to rotate the vessel left using RCS, I will hit the 'Command' key and the '1' key simultaneously;

* if I want fine control over that rotation, I will hit the 'Ctrl' key, the 'Command' key; and the '1' key (yes, three keys) simultaneously;

* If I want to back the vessel up using linear RCS, I will first select linear RCS and then hit the 'Command' key and the '9' key simultaneously;

* and so on and so forth....

(P.S. There is also a mapping of the increase thrust and decrease thrust which aren't listed above. Generally I map these to [ALT] M to increase thrust and [ALT[ N to decrease thrust. Then from the Mac keyboard, thrust is increased by pressing the 'Command' key and the 'M' key simultaneously)

All of this is entirely satisfactory of course - but the Mac doesn't have a number keypad so we make do with what we have.

Anyway, once we are done changing the key mappings, we save and close the 'keymap.cfg' file.

The next step is changing one of the default settings in Wineskin. To do this we need to find the 'Orby16' icon again and then do whatever we need to do on our Mac to 'Show Package Contents'.

Having done so, we get the usual list of three contents:

This time we want to select the 'Wineskin' icon and double click. This should open the following menu of control settings and utilities for our virtual Windows machine.

Select the 'Select Screen Options' settings and you should see:

Then check the 'Use Mac Driver instead of X11' option if it isn't already checked. The purpose of this is to use a driver that is better suited to your Mac than the generic X11 option. For me, at least, this leads to improved stability of the video display and less flickering. If it doesn't work for you, feel free to play around with the screen settings.

So, OK, what's been done here?

- We've set up a quick link to the Orbiter 2016 installation root directory on the virtual Windows machine;

- We've changed the key mappings to get around the problem that a Mac laptop doesn't have a number keypad

- And we've changed a Wineskin screen setting to (hopefully) improve the stability of the screen output.

Next, I'm going to go on to the D3D9 and Orbiter Sound installation. But, as is, what you should have is working version of Orbiter 2016 with a key mapping that also allows you to control your vessel.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #4
IronRain

Thank you for uploading this tutorial/walkthrough. I'm sure there are enough people who will enjoy this!

IronRain is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
MontBlanc2012
Orbinaut

Having set up the basic Orbiter 2016 installation in Wineskin Winery, the next step it to install the D3D9 client. This process is a little long-winded but not very difficult so bear with me.

The first thing to do, of course, is to get a copy of the D3D9 client. Fortunately, there appears to be a page on this forum dedicated to the client. So, navigate to:

D3D9 Client Development

At the top of the page you should see a link to "D3D9Client is available for download from Tuttovola.org". Click on the under-scored link and this should take you to the D3D9 download page. At the time of writing, the download of choice is probably D3D9Client2016-R3b-per Orbiter 2016. Click on the link, and the download to your normal Mac Downloads folder short start shortly thereafter.

When the download is complete, navigate over to your Mac's Download folder. Click on the D3D9Cient folder and examine its contents. You should see something like:

In particular, expand the Doc folder and you should see that it contains a file called 'D3D9Client.pdf'. Open this pdf file in Adobe Acrobat (or similar). On the first page (or thereabouts, it contains a few references to the DirectX runtime, Orbiter Sound and Spacecraft3.5. At the moment, we're not going to worry about Orbiter Sound and Sapcecraft3.5 and we're just going to focus on the Direct X runtime.

Basically, the instruction is that for the D3D9 client to work properly you need to install the DirectX runtime. And this doesn't mean in this instance installation on your Mac but, rather, installation on your Wineskin Winery virtual Windows XP machine - i.e., the thing called 'Orby16'.

So, before we install the D3D9 client, we first have to install DirectX runtime. To do this, click on the underscored link in the pdf document. This will take you to a Microsoft download screen that looks like:

As you might expect, you now need to hit the big red download button and the DirectX runtime should automatically download to your Downloads folder on your Mac. When the Download is complete, your Downloads folder should contain two things of interest. The first is the D3D9Client directory mentioned earlier; and the DirectX runtime executable. For the time being, don't do anything with the latter.

Now open up another Folder window that points to the now familiar 'Show Package Contents' page of your Wineskin virtual machine, 'Orby16':

Open up 'drive-c' which is the root directory of your virtual Windows XP machine. You should see the following folder structure.

We now want to create a new directory 'Temp' which is going to house the DirectX runtime file that we have just downloaded as well as its contents. So, using standard Mac commands for creating a new directory, do just that - create a nw directory called 'Temp':

Next, drag the DirectX runtime .exe file into the new 'Temp' folder. OK, this file is now in your virtual Windows machine. Having done this navigate back to the standard 'Show Package Contents' page in Finder.

Now select the Wineskin button; and then the Advanced button. This should open up a dialog box that looks like the following:

As you can see from this, the executable is still pointing to Orbiter.exe. Which is fine if you want to run Orbiter. But at the moment, we want to run the DirectX runtime executable instead. So we need to navigate over to the Temp folder and select that executable instead.

After you have selected the DirectX executable, the Wineskin dialog box should now look like the following:

Now hit 'Test Run' to run the DirectX executable. Running this file doesn't do very much except dump a bunch of additional files into your 'Temp' folder. But you should see:

Select 'Yes', of course, and then you should see:

Now you have to choose a place to dump a set of files into. I suggest that you select the 'Temp' folder.

Hitting OK, results in the following directory showing that the destination folder is indeed the 'Temp' directory (just below the root directory level of your virtual Windows machine. When the extraction is complete a dialog box will open declaring that the 'Test Run Complete!

Hit 'Cancel' to take you back to the standard Wineskin menu screen:

Now, the extraction process has placed a new executable DXSETUP.exe in the 'Temp' folder.

So, in our Wineskin option box, we now want to point to this executable instead. So, we should have:

Now we select 'Test Run' again, and this will start executing the new DXSETUP.exe executable. It will start with the following dialog box:

Accept the agreement and hit next. This will move the installation sequence onto the next dialog screen:

Hit 'Next' and the installation will be performed terminating with the 'Installation Complete' dialog screen:

Hit Finish and control will be transferred back to Wineskin Winery stating that the Test Run has been completed.

Hit 'Cancel'. This will take you back to the usual Wineskin Winery dialog box. DirectX runtime has now been installed in your virtual Windows machine. Time to re-select Orbiter.exe as your executable as shown below:

Close out the Wineskin dialog box and return to the 'Show Package Contents' page of 'Orby16'.

Now open 'drive-c' and then open the 'Orbiter 2016' directory. You should see the Orbiter 2016 root directory contents as below:

Now open up another Mac Folder window and open up the D3D9Client directory in your Mac Downloads folder. Just to remind you, this will look something like this:

Now the goal is to move all of the contents from the D3D9 Client folder to their corresponding folders in the Orbiter 2016 directory. From memory, on a real Windows machine this is just a simple drag and drop operating. However, in my experience, on the Mac this operation is somewhat more manual. In copying files over you have to be careful to copy everything with exactly the same file structure as in the D3D9 Client directory. If a sub-folder doesn't exist, in the Orbiter 2016 folder, you need to create it. And in copying files over, you want to take care not delete anything already in the Orbiter 2016 directory structure. When you are done, the Orbiter 2016 folder should look remarkably unchanged although it does contain a D3D9Client.cfg file (because this was at the Orbiter 2016 root directory level in the D3D9Client folder).

Now we want to copy the whole of the 'config' folder - everything including all of its contents.

Next, we want to open the Modules folder:

And the the Server sub-folder.

Now paste the 'config' directory into the Server sub-folder:

We're now pretty much done with the D3D9 setup. But we have just a few other settings tweaks to perform first. First, we navigate back to the standard 'Show Package Contents' page of Orby16:

Hit 'Wineskin' to come up with the standard Wineskin dialog:

And then hit 'Advanced' to open the Advanced dialog page:

As you can see, this is still pointing to the Orbiter.exe executable. But when running the D3D9 client, we need to run a different executable. With D3D9 we want to run the Orbiter_ng.exe executable instead:

So, we make sure that in the Wineskin dialog box, Wineskin is pointing to that file:

Almost done. Now hit the 'Set Screen Options' button and make sure that the 'Use Mac Driver instead of X11' option is checked:

Close out the dialog box and then select 'Test Run'. This should open the welcome screen of Orbiter as follows:

Select the Modules tab and expand everything.

Make sure that the D3D9 check box is ticked. This says that Orbiter 2016 should use the D3D9 client when run:

Now hit the video tab and you should see the following panel:

Check the box titled 'Disable vertical sync.' This allows you to get a higher frame rate when running Orbiter. Typically on my aged Macbook Pro, I get around 200 fps. You may also want to check the 16:9 screen ratio as well. This seems to work better on my Mac in that I can see whole of the Orbiter 2016 without chopping of the bottom 1cm or so.

Now Launch Orbiter. Depending on which scenario was previously running you might see something like:

At the top, you will see a reference to D3D9 which confirms that the D3D9 client is running. Now close down Orbiter and return to Wineskin control:

This was all being done in Test Run mode. The next time toy run it, you just want to search for 'Orby16' and double click. This should now load Orbiter 2016 using the D3D9 client.

Next step is to install Orbiter Sound.
Thanked by:
Old 08-04-2018, 06:37 AM   #6
MontBlanc2012
Orbinaut

OK, time to install Orbiter Sound.

First off, we need to get a copy of Orbiter Sound. The latest and greatest version can be found on Dan Steph's Orbiter website and here's a link to the relevant download page on that website.

Dan Steph's download page

So, click the download button and wait for the Orbiter Sound executable to download. When the download is complete move to the downloaded executable to the Orbiter 2016 directory of your Wineskin virtual Windows machine that houses your Orbiter installation. When you've done this, the Finder window for that directory should look something like this:

This clearly shows the executable sitting there in the Orbiter 2016 directory. Great. Now we want to run this executable on our virtual machine to complete the installation process. To do this we do the (hopefully by now!) familiar task of navigating to the 'Show Package Contents' page of the Orby16 Wineskin wrapper. Now click on the Wineskin button:

And then click on the Advanced button:

This should bring us to the familiar dialog page where we now want to change the pointer to the executable from 'Orbiter_ng.exe' to the Orbiter Sound executable. So we move from this:

To this:

Now click on the 'Test Run' button to start the Orbiter Sound installation. This should cause a dialog box to open:

Use the Browse button to search for the Orbiter 2016 home directory:

When the Orbiter 2016 directory has been located, click OK and proceed with the installation. When complete, a new dialog box will open.

Select 'Yes' and continue.

Click on the button to change the config settings. This will open up the Orbiter Sound config dialog pane.

Change whatever settings you want and then save and close. This will bring you back to the previous Orbiter Sound installation dialog screen.

Click Exit to end the Orbiter Sound installation process. This will return you to Wineskin Control and the usual dialog box to say that the Test Run has been completed. Press 'Cancel' to return to the Wineskin Advanced Settings pane and then change the executable back to 'Orbiter_ng.exe'.

Close out the Wineskin dialogs and then run the Orby16 Wineskin wrapper to run Orbiter 2016. Next, navigate to the Modules pane and make sure that the Orbiter Sound box is checked.

Then Launch Orbiter. You should hear some sounds and you should see the following one-time dialog screen:

If you hear the sounds and see this dialog, you've successfully installed Orbiter Sound on your virtual Windows XP installation of Orbiter 2016. Yay!

One last thing to note. In the Orby16 home directory on the virtual machine, you should see a new executable labelled 'SoundConfig.exe'.

If you want to change the Orbiter Sound configuration settings again, you are going to have to run this executable using the Wineskin Advanced dialog pane. By now, this should be a pretty familiar process. And when you've finished updating the Orbiter Sound configuration settings, don't forget to change the executable back to 'Orbiter_ng.exe'.

In summary
Ok, if you've got this far, you should be pretty familiar with Wineskin Winery. You will also have a basic Orbiter 2016 installation (running in Windows XP) with D3D9 and Orbiter Sound installed.

Time now to add a few mods - e.g., update TransX, install IMFD and BTC. In the next post on this subject, I'll work through a couple of these. After a while, it will become clear that this task is pretty repetitive and you should have the know-how to add any mods that you want at will.

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 AM ----------

Now we're going to install (or, rather, re-install TransX) on the Wineskin installation of Orbiter 2016. As most of you know, TransX is an important mod for Orbiter allowing one to set up reasonably complex flight plans. This isn't going to be a tutorial on TransX usage, but the default TransX package is a little outdated so we might as well install a newer version.

Here's how:

First, open a browser and bring up the orbit hangar.com web page. Then search for 'TransX'. Now this brings will probably bring up a number of references to TransX, but the first option that appeared in mystery search was the following:

This is clearly a version intended for Orbiter 2016 and the date stamp looks pretty recent - so we'll go with that. Now, reading through the preamble you can see that this version of TransX requires two things to be installed - 'ModuleMessagingExt' and 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable'. It's a fair bet that our Wineskin virtual machine doesn't have either of these yet, so before installing TransX , we're going to need to install both of these.

First, let's focus on installing the Microsoft Visual C++ Service Pack. To get this, click on the link on the TransX page and you will be directed to the following Microsoft download page:

Naturally, click on the big red download button. This will take you to a screen that will ask you to select the kind of pack that you want to download.

Frankly, I'm not sure which is best - but traditionally I've opted for the x64 version - which I assume means suitable for 64 bit architectures.

Then proceed with the file download. Once the file has downloaded, navigate to the Downloads folder using Finder. You should see the executable sitting there.

The next step is to move this download into the Orbiter 2016 directory of our Wineskin virtual Windows XP machine, Orby16. If you open up that directory, you should now see the executable sitting there.

Having done this, we now need to go through the usual procedure to execute this file on out virtual machine. First go to the 'Show Package Contents' page of Orby16.

Then click Wineskin and then click Advanced. This should bring up the now familiar dialog pane. Change the reference to the executable to the Microsoft executable that you have just put into the folder using the Browse function. After, you've done that, the dialog pane should look like:

Now clock 'Test Run' and this should bring up the following dialog pane.

Click 'Yes' and the installation will begin. When it has finished, you will be returned to Wineskin control and you should see the usual 'Test Run Complete' pane.

Click on the 'Cancel' button and the change the executable reference back to 'Orbiter_ng.exe'.

OK, that's one prerequisite installed. One more to go. To install 'ModuleMessagingExt' return to the TransX webpage and click on the under-scored link to 'ModuleMessagingExt'. This brings up a new Orbit Hangar page and it should look something like this.

ModuleMessagingExt doesn't appear to require any prerequisites so we can proceed straight to the download. Clock on the download link and the download should begin automatically. When completed, navigate over to your Downloads folder. You should see a new Module Messaging folder:

Open up the Module Messaging folder. This contains all of the files that needed to be merged with the corresponding Orbiter 2016 directory on your Orby16 virtual machine.

To carry out this merge operation, open up another Folder window pointing to the Orbiter 2016 directory on your Orby16 virtual machine.

Next, select all of the contents of the Module Messaging Folder. Then, with the Mac keyboard 'Option' key pressed, drag all the selected contents to the Orbiter 2016 directory. You should see an option to 'merge' (amongst other things) for the Modules directory. Select the 'merge' option. Then you should see the same 'merge' options for the OrbiterSDK folder. Again choose the 'merge' option.

(N.B. If you don't see the 'merge' option, proceed with caution. If you select the wrong option, you risk either not copying any files across - or, worse, deleting the existing contents of the relevant directory. If in doubt, carry out the merge operation by hand.)

OK, that's ModuleMessagingExt installed. Now back to installing TransX proper. So, navigate in your browser to the TransX page

And now click on the download option at the bottom. The TransX download should proceed automatically. When the download has been completed, navigate over to the Downloads folder using Finder. You should now see something like

Open up the TransX folder.

Again, this contains all of the files that need to be merged with the corresponding folders in the Orbiter 2016 directory of your Orby16 installation. We proceed as before with the merge operation. When this is complete, load your Orby16 version of Orbiter 2016.

Now, open the modules pane and expand everything.

Make sure that the 'TransX', 'TransX' and 'Module Messaging' boxes are checked:

Having done this, Launch Orbiter. On the left-hand MFD display click the 'SEL' tab. You should see TransX as the last entry on the screen.

If you click 'SEL' again, you should see TransX2 on the second page of the available MFDs. If you see these things, it's a fair bet that TransX has been successfully loaded.

To double check, go back to the screen from which you can select 'TransX' and the press the corresponding tab on the right-hand side of the left-hand MFD. You should see a display like:

It looks as if TransX is working.

N.B. The astute reader will have noted that we didn't change the 'config' folder in the Modules/Server directory. This is because nothing we have done here changed the config directory, so we don't need to mirror the changes in the Modules/Server directory.
Thanked by:
Old 08-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontBlanc2012 View Post
 OK, time to install Orbiter Sound.
The latest and greatest version can be found on Dan Steph's Orbiter website...
But OrbiterSound hasn't been updated for Orbiter2016 yet.
What about XRSound instead?
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:49 AM   #8
MontBlanc2012
Orbinaut

Quote:
But OrbiterSound hasn't been updated for Orbiter2016 yet.
What about XRSound instead?
In my experience, OrbiterSound mostly works with Orbiter 2016, but then I'm not a very discerning user of sound apps. So long as there is a roaring sound when the engine fire, a little bit of background noise in the 'cockpit' and some atmospheric sounds, I'm generally quite happy.

I have noted in the past that I could install XRSound. And that sounds great - except that the minimum requirement for using XRSound is Windows Vista and the default Wineskin wrapper runs Windows XP. Now, I believe you can change the default system to Vista (or higher) but it's not something I've any experience with.

That said, anyone who manages to work there way through the hole of this walkthrough will probably emerge with the skills necessary to make that upgrade to Vista for themselves and then run through the Orbiter installation process on that basis. If anyone wants to try this, I suggest that the first thing that they do after creating the blank wrapper is to use the change the wrapper operating system and proceed from there.

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

Just following on from my comments about setting up a blank Wineskin wrapper running Vista rather than XP, here's the process that you would use.

First, use Wineskin Winery to create a new blank wrapper. The default operating system is, as always, XP - bit once we've created it, the first thing that we will do is change it over to Vista.

Let's call the new wrapper 'Vista'.

Opening up the 'Show Package Contents' view (unsurprisingly) shows us that i contains the three things that we would expect to see in a blank wrapper. Click on the Wineskin icon.

And then click the Advance button.

This brings us to our familiar control panel.

Now, we're going to do something different and select the 'Tools' tab. This should bring up a new pane that looks like:

Select the Winetricks option. If you are asked to allow WineskinX11, say 'yes'.

Press the 'Update Winetricks' button. And confirm that you wish to upgrade.

Winetricks contains a rather large collection of things that you can change or add to your basic Wineskin wrapper installation. You might want to browse through the various options. But right now, we just want to change the operating system to Vista. So, type Vista in the search box at the top

This should bring up one option as shown.

Expand 'settings' and you should see vista listed along with a check box. Check the box.

And then press the 'Run' button. This should bring up a dialog confirmation pane:

Select Run and wait for the Wineskin to make the necessary changes to your operating system on your virtual machine. When finished, you should see confirmation of the change to Vista that looks something like this:

Now you've upgraded to Windows Vista and you should proceed with the Orbiter 2016 installation as before:

In principle, this should allow you to adopt Ripley's suggestion and use XRSound rather than OrbiterSound. But I haven't worked through the process to do this - although I expect that it is quite straightforward.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:52 AM   #9
MontBlanc2012
Orbinaut

This post is focus on installing IMFD on your Wineskin virtual machine. Aside from being an important trajectory planning tool, it also serves as an example of how to install general kinds of MFD tools.

The basic technique for installing is essentially the same as one would use on a Windows machine - except that some of the key strokes are different because, really, you are working with a Mac. That said, the three basic steps are:

1. Download and unpack the tool from the relevant website;

2. Merge the unpacked folders with the corresponding folders in your Wineskin Orbiter installation; and

3. Make sure that the Orbiter server can see any changes to the Config folder made during the preceding merge operation. (Generally, this can easily be achieved by copying over the Config folder to the Modules/Server directory.)

4. Switch on the MFD in Orbiter's opening console display.

OK, so without further ado, let's install IMFD:

Although many useful Orbiter tools are available from Orbit Hangar, IMFD is one that is not. The download page for IMFD is IMFD Download Page.

A number of versions are listed, the most recent being IMFD 5.7 so let's download that. When downloaded, the package automatically unpacks yielding a folder with a structure that mirrors the Orbiter 2016 root folder on your Wineskin installation.

Merge these files into your Wineskin installation by opening the Orbiter 2016 home directory in a separate Finder window. Then select all of the contents of the download directory. Drag the selected contents to the second Orbiter 2016 window and, importantly, while doing so hold down the 'Option' key. When the files are have been dragged into the relevant folder release keys and keypad and you should see an option to 'merge'a folder. Click OK to that. You will then see the same merge option a number of times - once for each folder that you want to merge. Each agree to the merge. If you don't see a merge option. Then repeat the select and drag process with the option key depressed. It is important that you merge directories rather than replace the contents of an existing directory.

When this merge operation has been completed, the last principal step in the installation directory is (if changed) copy all of the 'config' folder to the Modules/Server directory. This ensures that D3D9 client can 'see' the relevant config files. If you don't copy the folder across Orbiter will 'see' IMFD when running in D3D7 mode, but not in D3D9 mode. The easiest way to copy the directory is to select the config folder and then select 'copy' from the Finder drop-down menu. Then, navigate to the Modules/Server directory and paste the copy there. You will be given an option either to merge or to replace. Either option should work since you have previously carried out a merge operation in the Orbiter 2016 root directory.

When you have finished this step, all of the files are now just where they need to be.

Next, start up Orbiter 2016 so that you can see the opening console display as shown:

Navigate to the Modules pane and expand everything. Make sure that the 'InterMFD57' box is checked. This 'switches on' IMFD.

Launch Orbiter. You should find IMFD listed as an available option:

Select IMFD and you should see something like:

This shows that IMFD has been loaded and is working. And that completes the installation process.

Windows users will probably notice, should they be reading this, that this process is essentially the same as that used on a real Windows machine. And the reason for that is that for all practical purposes your Wineskin functions as real Windows machine. The processes for adding and changing components is essentially identical - only the particular key presses used to execute certain steps are different.

Now, I was going to also show how to install BTC but, frankly, the process is just the same as above. Make sure, as always, that you have installed the necessary pre-requisites before installing your favourite MFD widget.

Besides, this note - which started life as a response to an earlier post by 'fatcat' (now deleted) - is excessively long. So, I will probably quite while I'm ahead and stop here. Having said that because I started doing this one evening and working very fast while watching television, a number of spelling and grammatical errors have crept in. So, at some point, I may tidy the whole thing up, expand upon some of the somewhat terse commentary and repackage as a separate post/paper.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges