Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Space Shuttle Ultra Support & development threads for Space Shuttle Ultra addon.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #976
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 The VAB is just 46k polygons which is low by today's standards. Any decent GPU is capable of handling that with no issues.
Add MLP, Crawler, STS stack to the scene and we are approaching much larger numbers. A roll-out is already a pretty stresstest there, a launch with the VAB and the FSS/RSS in the szene much worse.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:51 AM   #977
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

I'LL JUST LEAVE THIS HERE...

GWS is 4.6 billion( with a B ) polys in orbit, fully assembled, low-res. A frame rate of 2, and a CTD if you press any animation key. I don't know what your dealing with, I can vouch for additive complexity causing major hits in performance. My computer was top of the line 3 years ago with tri-SLI. Needless to say optimizing trudges forward with little improvement.

I can launch SSU, but never achieve orbit, I can play in orbit but never re-enter, all without the support equipment, I'm still a novice player.

JMTC, keep trying, you will get this done. KUTGW!
Capt_hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:11 AM   #978
DaveS
Addon Developer

Currently, the FSS and RSS sit at a total of 449 689 polygons with the FSS being the majority owner at 377 809 polygons. The RSS is at 71 880 polygons and it is mostly finished so it won't be much beyond that (maybe 80k when everything has been done). The MLP also being mostly done is at 159 348 polygons. Estimate is for it to finish at 163k. The crawler is at 67 794 polygons (main chassis) with the drive trucks at 143 776 polygons (single mesh added four times through the code, 35 944 polygons).

Last edited by DaveS; 07-05-2017 at 01:19 AM.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #979
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 Currently, the FSS and RSS sit at a total of 449 689 polygons with the FSS being the majority owner at 377 809 polygons. The RSS is at 71 880 polygons and it is mostly finished so it won't be much beyond that (maybe 80k when everything has been done). The MLP also being mostly done is at 159 348 polygons. Estimate is for it to finish at 163k. The crawler is at 67 794 polygons (main chassis) with the drive trucks at 143 776 polygons (single mesh added four times through the code, 35 944 polygons).
Yes... I could write a command tool to do some better statistics there, like how many material changes and how large the textures are. Should be easier than doing the math manually.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #980
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Yes... I could write a command tool to do some better statistics there, like how many material changes and how large the textures are. Should be easier than doing the math manually.
Not that you have to make the tool, but if you ever did make it, I would be interested in using it for obvious reasons. Thanks.

PS if anyone is wondering why a novice such as my self is still following this thread, it's because I have not given up on GWS, and learning SSU, which is at least flying will help me get into the detail oriented flight modes I will need for GWS later. Once again thanks.
Capt_hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #981
DaveS
Addon Developer

Before I file an official bug report, does any else besides me think that the orbiter handles really sluggishly in the roll channel during landing? It takes forever before the orbiter even begins to roll right now.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #982
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Before I file an official bug report, does any else besides me think that the orbiter handles really sluggishly in the roll channel during landing? It takes forever before the orbiter even begins to roll right now.
I noticed that too when updating the RHC. I found the pitch was too sensitive and the roll too lazy. This is related to the (simulated) rate of motion of the RHC when we press the key. I can make this rate faster, but that will make manual pitch control a handful. I think tweaking the AerojetDAP is probably better, but I'm not familiarized with the inner workings of the DAP.

A couple of things that have to be done in the controllers are checking if the RMS THC works in the new way (6 = pull, 9 = push), and also changing the way the RHC works in orbit, to have sharper control of the RCS.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #983
Gingin
Orbinaut

Same for me here, very slow in roll compared to pitch channel during TAEM.
Gingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #984
GLS
Addon Developer

I'm working on adding holds to the (terminal) countdown as part of improving pre-launch checks, and as the holds when inserted (manually or automatically) are resumed or removed manually, I'm thinking about adding a very simple MFD to the LCC vessel to provide the user with basic interaction... good, bad or so so?
Old 07-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #985
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 I'm working on adding holds to the (terminal) countdown as part of improving pre-launch checks, and as the holds when inserted (manually or automatically) are resumed or removed manually, I'm thinking about adding a very simple MFD to the LCC vessel to provide the user with basic interaction... good, bad or so so?
Lets say it like that:

The holds are useful and should be used. We should be using L-Time and T-count I think as well.

I would think its better to have a Panel2D GUI for the LCC for having more freedom how the player can interact with it.

But its better to have a MFD now, than a Panel2D GUI in a year.
Thanked by:
Old 07-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #986
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Sounds good to me. Could things with respect to the MPS be changed so that everything happens on the scheduled time? I'm mainly thinking of the start of the LOX venting from the nozzles and the GVA.

Maybe also the LOX Drain back could be implemented. After all, you can't sit on the pad forever inside T-4:55 minutes as LOX drains back to the LOX facility at the pad at 18 lbs/sec. Either you'll run out of LOX to make the MECO targets (performance violation) or you'll lose the ENGINE READY status as the engines will be too cold to start (low end of the start box).
Thanked by:
Old 07-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #987
GLS
Addon Developer

I'm just trying to come up with something that works from T-9 minutes down, and does basic checks (for now) and stops the clock at the correct place... I'm not aiming that high and already it's not easy.
Thanked by:
Old 08-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #988
GLS
Addon Developer

Urwumpe, do you know what the names/IDs of the GPC variables mean? (V90W8380C, V99X8828X, V41K1393X, etc) I figure the ones ending with X to be equivalent to a bool, but a table or something with concrete info would be much better than guessing.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #989
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 Urwumpe, do you know what the names/IDs of the GPC variables mean? (V90W8380C, V99X8828X, V41K1393X, etc) I figure the ones ending with X to be equivalent to a bool, but a table or something with concrete info would be much better than guessing.
Those are not variable IDs but measurement IDs, which identify measurements in the master measurement table of the telemetry. By those measurement IDs, you can define how to decode the telemetry packet stream of the space shuttle in various NASA tools.

You are right, X designates bits of a 16 bit word. I remember I had a definition of the scheme somewhere on my ExtHDD, I can look for it when I am at home.

I remember I wanted to create a reference file one day based on the few known measurements for example for the RMS. The official list is sadly not around for us, it seems.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Correction: The correct term of the table is "Master Measurement List". Mea Culpa.

I have found a very nice source for getting MML number, variable description, telemetry frame number and sample frequency for a huge set of STS variables:

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...9790019062.pdf

(Appendix A, pages 26 to 38)

Sadly a bit poor to read... but then it is a very very veery nice listing for my current development tasks.

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

This here is a better source for measurement IDs:

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...9810018651.pdf

At least, its better to read, higher quality.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra