Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addons A repository for Orbiter addons contributed by users. Developers & members may announce new releases here and discuss any Orbiter addon.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:03 AM   #16
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 If I had to take a guess, I'd say UMMU. So many orbiter add-ons depend on it that it can be a bit worrying that the source code is closed, I understand that. But still, the proper way of action if somebody can't live with that is to make an opensource alternative, not pestering the author about disclosing his code.
Exactly. But making something open-source is not easier than making it closed source.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #17
4throck
Enthusiast !

I don't think that would solve much.

What would you change to make it 2016 compatible?
If it was that trivial, then the author would do it in a few hours.

Do you think I didn't try to update my addons?
I did, but 2016 is just too complicated. So my time is better spent doing other stuff.

My guess is that Dan is just enjoying some other hobby and perhaps developing for something else. That's the way of life.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #18
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Of course, this also reflects on the appreciation you have on your own work. No issue, interests change and real life is surprising.

But I wouldn't blame Orbiter 2016 for that, the actual differences are not too large.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #19
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4throck View Post
 My guess is that Dan is just enjoying some other hobby and perhaps developing for something else. That's the way of life.
He has at least another paid software that I know about, FSPassengers. He could be busy with that. Checking his profile on his FSPassengers' forum, it shows that the last time he was logged in was on Feb. 21 this year.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #20
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 But still, the proper way of action if somebody can't live with that is to make an opensource alternative, not pestering the author about disclosing his code.
In the case of framework or platforms like OS, UCGO, UMmu and e.g. SC4, it is not so easy to just roll out an open-source alternative. Chances are that all your work will be rendered useless, because people will set back to the original as soon as the option is there again.

Folks don't care about closed source as long as the system is available. Once it is gone for good, they sure start whining, but only then. Nobody will ever think one bit further and recognize that the dependency on the proprietary stuff was his/her own fault.

But I mentioned it already: perhaps starting open-source alternatives to Dan's work will eventually trigger him to release new versions .
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #21
4throck
Enthusiast !

Perhaps a good approach would be to explore what Orbiter offers: vessel scripts + LUA.
They are the way to go since they depend on Orbiter itself.

Honestly I don't know if .scn parameter reading / writing is supported (for states) or if key presses in Lua are fixed.
But it's worth a look...
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons