Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #16
Fabri91
Donator

Kind of looks like what the STS orbiter was supposed to be before the Air Force came along with their payload and crossrange requests accompanied by fat stacks of cash.
Fabri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #17
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri91 View Post
 Kind of looks like what the STS orbiter was supposed to be before the Air Force came along with their payload and crossrange requests accompanied by fat stacks of cash.
Actually, NASA paid for everything: R&D, manufacturing, GSE, you name it. The DOD only provided early political support. Discovery which was supposed to be the "Blue orbiter" stationed at VAFB was entirely paid for by NASA, so the USAF got a 2 billion dollar orbiter entirely free of charge. The only thing the USAF paid for was the launch complex at VAFB and the Filament Wound Case SRBs. And as far as the cross-range is concerned, NASA needed it as well for certain abort modes. And they did agree with the USAF on the PLB size as it was dictated by the size of future space station modules.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #18
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Still, the wings and the crossrange got a lot larger because of THE single special Airforce mission profile.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #19
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Blender is really powerful, provided you spend some time watching tutorials. Bevel makes such good-looking porthole corners.

So now we have nice holes in the hull. Can prove useful to see things outside. And that technique (boolean difference) is also going to work nicely to blend RCS thrusters into the hull.

N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #20
N_Molson
Addon Developer

The ground hatch/door, and progress on the payload bay. Wings should look a little better too.

Finding the best location for the RCS thrusters is not going to be easy, given a) its never easy to find a fictional spacecraft Center of Mass b) that the CoM shifts as propellant is burnt and the payload is released. Have to add a set of "fine control" RCS thrusters too.

Also, given the relative small size of the spacecraft, the nosewheel housing will probably make some kind of bump on the cabin floor.

Last edited by N_Molson; 08-14-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #21
Thymo
AGC nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguofreak View Post
 OTOH, in space you have the biggest vacuum flask in the universe, and evaporative cooling works well if you have the mass budget to carry a bit extra.
Cooling isn't an issue really. The hydrogen tanks on Apollo actually had heaters in them because pressure couldn't be maintained otherwise.
Thymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #22
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Molson View Post
 The ground hatch/door, and progress on the payload bay. Wings should look a little better too.

Finding the best location for the RCS thrusters is not going to be easy, given a) its never easy to find a fictional spacecraft Center of Mass b) that the CoM shifts as propellant is burnt and the payload is released. Have to add a set of "fine control" RCS thrusters too.

Also, given the relative small size of the spacecraft, the nosewheel housing will probably make some kind of bump on the cabin floor.

Only if you keep that single large, relatively low-pressure tire up front. And even then, you can rotate it 90 along the axis of the oleo strut as it retracts to make it sit parallel to the floor. Personally, I'd spring for a double wheel nose gear and high-pressure tires, as you're not expecting to land on anything other than a well-prepared runway.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #23
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Quote:
Only if you keep that single large, relatively low-pressure tire up front. And even then, you can rotate it 90 along the axis of the oleo strut as it retracts to make it sit parallel to the floor. Personally, I'd spring for a double wheel nose gear and high-pressure tires, as you're not expecting to land on anything other than a well-prepared runway.
Yes, I was thinking about the 90 rotation as a possible workaround. And yes, I'm probably going for 2-wheels/leg landing gear. Wet mass will probably around 40 tons, so a bit heavy for 1-wheel legs. Big tires would be fun for a russian version that could land on ice I'm going for a NASA shuttle-like build first, but I'd like to do EU & Russian (or Soviet) mods too.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #24
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Only if the European Version then is overdesigned and too late.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #25
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Progress on the payload bay. Definitively large enough for a capable satellite, or a small station module.

Do you think a robotic arm is necessary ? True, being able to capture something into space and bring it back on the ground is the whole point of a shuttle-like design.

Update on the nosewheels. Also added a radiator.

Just noticed that the Space Shuttle nosewheel retracted in the nose, which solves my volume problem.

Last edited by N_Molson; 08-15-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #26
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Still details to fix, but overall she's taking shape :

Nosewheel retracted :

Last edited by N_Molson; 08-16-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:14 AM   #27
Abdallah
An orbiter

Make realistic reentry FX
Abdallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #28
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Quote:
Make realistic reentry FX
Well, I have an idea about this, but I'm not sure how it will look. We'll see...

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

If someone has a good pic, I'm searching for a view of the Space Shuttle docking mechanism. I have schematics, but a good pic would help for fine details.

Like that one :

So far :

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

With the little latches :

That little bugger took me 1 whole day, and not over yet ! That's definitively the kind of model I'm willing to share with the community - can be useful in many addons. After all, its supposed to be something universal, following international standards

Last edited by N_Molson; 08-17-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 08-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #29
DaveS
Addon Developer

What you probably want is this: http://www.internationaldockingstand...n_E_TAGGED.pdf

What the shuttle made use of was the Russian APAS-95 which was to be used on the Soviet orbiters. Russia provided the docking system while Rockwell Intl (the orbiter vehicle contractor) provided the External Airlock on which the docking system sits. The International Docking System (IDS) is similar to APAS-95 but not identical (it evolved from NASA's own Low Impact Docking System) which is why there's a need for an adapter called the International Docking Adapter (IDA). IDA-1 was lost in the SpaceX CRS-7 launch failure, while IDA-2 is attached to Pressurized Mating Adapter-2(PMA-2) and IDA-3 will be installed on Wednesday, August 21 on PMA-3.

Last edited by DaveS; 08-17-2019 at 10:18 PM.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #30
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Yep I have it already. I made the model above with schematics of that document as background image. So it should be pretty accurate
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development