Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Tutorials & Challenges Feel free to publish your tutorials, challenges, & flight scenarios in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
dgatsoulis
Orbinaut
 
dgatsoulis's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJohnJennerLawso View Post
 I hadnt considered doing a complete LOI, but 2150 m/s would almost be doable. The real question is how to do it without an autopilot, since I abhor leaving landings up to a computer. Maybe if I kick the ApA over Brighton up to something like 40 km, the extra vertical speed will allow me to decelerate from orbital velocity without falling too fast. I'll give it another try.
For the original 5 ships, autopilots are an acceptable choice. I have tuned the dV requirements so that it is difficult to use them, but not impossible. In the video I posted of the direct landing, I used LOLA up to the point it was going to fail (it can't land vessels like that) and then continued manually. Direct landings are a poor choice for this challenge because they waste fuel. I have a much better score with a standard normal manual landing.

The tail sitters are a different story. With 3000 m/s in the main tank and the ΔV going up every time you use the RCS (because the weight decreases), allowing autopilots is a dilemma.
Not allowing will ruin the uniformity of the challenge but allowing them will make it easy.
I'll probably have to tune down the dV a little bit or let the scoreboard distinguish the efficient pilots from the rest.

Anyway, I'll finish the scripts for all the tailsitters I picked and I'll tune them during the testing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJohnJennerLawso View Post
 I guess you can leave it in, but it will probably cause a lot of headaches anyways, especially when a LEM stages (I presume thats still a valid way of doing it... any landing you can walk away from is a good one)

I still think it would be hilarious if you could somehow survive a bad landing by jumping though. If the Aquila runs out of RCS right before the pad, it might be your best option, even if its rather silly in reality.
I get what you say and I appreciate a hilarious landing as much as the next guy, but the purpose of this challenge is exactly what the title says. Land with finesse.
Ejecting one stage and jumping off the ship is not my definition of finesse.
That's why I left the "vessel added" condition in the script.

It is not a terribly difficult challenge, where you need hours of fiddling around with a navigational tool to find an impossible trajectory. Neither is it so extremely tight in dV that if you make a 5 m/s mistake you will crash. You can land all the ships with >200 m/s left.

It is meant more as a tool to help people improve their lunar landings.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #17
Max Pain
Orbinaut
Default

Hello,

thank you for this nice challenge. I had to disable Avira Antivir however, for the lua script to work.

I used the XR2 and got a Highscore of 2877.1. Maybe I try again later because I overshoot my target and had to fly back a little bit.

Unfortunately, after the excitement of landing I had to catch my breath first and didn't take the screenshot fast enough. The challenge accomplished message should be longer visible. Therefore I post a screenshot of the Highscore as an evidence:

Max Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
Ghostrider
Donator
 
Ghostrider's Avatar
Default

I can't download it.
Why can't I download it?
Life is unfair.
Ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
dgatsoulis
Orbinaut
 
dgatsoulis's Avatar
Default

@GhostRider

You can download other attachments in the forum but not this one? That's strange.

Try this dropbox link

@Max Pain

Glad you enjoyed the challenge. Not sure what exactly the deal is with Avira, but I'm guessing it's because of the dlls. ProAudioRT and lua51 (additionally to lua 5.1) are used to play the .ogg sound files in the script, without any dependency on OrbiterSound.

Great job! No worries about the screenshot. If you say you did it, it's fine by me. Playback and/or videos are preferable (but not obligatory) because others can learn from you.


I think it's time to setup the scoreboard. I'll have time to do that a little bit later today.

BTW, you can improve that score if you want and post it here. The scoreboard will be updated every couple of days.

EDIT: Scoreboard added on post #1. Tail sitter edition comming soon

Last edited by dgatsoulis; 05-13-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Additional info
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #20
blixel
Donator
 
blixel's Avatar
Default

Would have been a little better if not for a small mistake at the end.

blixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #21
Max Pain
Orbinaut
Default

Ok, this time I got it better :
2750.0 in a XR2 Ravenstar.



A replay is included. My way of landing is a little bit strange: I used the main engines for braking because I wanted to minimize gravitational fuel losses.
Attached Files
File Type: zip lunar_landing_challenge.zip (101.9 KB, 7 views)
Max Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #22
dgatsoulis
Orbinaut
 
dgatsoulis's Avatar
Default

Congrats to blixel and Max Pain. We got a good score and an excellent score.


Using the main engines for the braking burn is the most efficient way to do it. Lower burn time means lower gravitational losses.

Scoreboard updated. Don't forget that you can improve on the score as many times as you want.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #23
blixel
Donator
 
blixel's Avatar
Default

So close!





Recorded with Open Broadcaster: Free, open source software for live streaming and recording.

Last edited by blixel; 05-13-2013 at 10:44 PM.
blixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #24
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut
 
Kyle's Avatar
Default

Finesse my lunar landings? LOL I just fire my engines and land wherever I crash.

Actually this looks pretty sweet. You can't use LOLAMFD though, that's cheating.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #25
dgatsoulis
Orbinaut
 
dgatsoulis's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blixel View Post
 So close!

{image}

{video}

Recorded with Open Broadcaster: Free, open source software for live streaming and recording.
Excellent landing.
If you hadn't used the autoland AP you would have saved more fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
 Finesse my lunar landings? LOL I just fire my engines and land wherever I crash.

Actually this looks pretty sweet. You can't use LOLAMFD though, that's cheating.
Glad you like it. As I mentioned before in this thread, autopilots are acceptable. The dV budget has been tuned so that they are difficult to use.
Besides, LOLA will make the braking burn with the hover engines, which means less power→more burntime→more gravitational losses.

It takes skill and practice get a score close to what Max Pain and blixel posted.

Scoreboard updated.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #26
Ripley
Tutorial translator
 
Ripley's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pain View Post
 ...I had to disable Avira Antivir however, for the lua script to work...
Same here...

Have to try with
BaseLandAutopilot
, it can brake with mains.

Last edited by Ripley; 05-14-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #27
blixel
Donator
 
blixel's Avatar
Default

Definitely not a score to be proud of, but the XR5 score keeping has to start somewhere.



Edit: I gave the Deltaglider a go as well. It didn't beat your score, but I'll post it anyway just to give myself a benchmark for my next attempt.


Last edited by blixel; 05-14-2013 at 04:02 PM.
blixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #28
dgatsoulis
Orbinaut
 
dgatsoulis's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
 Same here...

Have to try with BaseLandAutopilot, it can brake with mains.
I didn't know about topper's autopilot. I'll give it a try later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blixel View Post
 Definitely not a score to be proud of, but the XR5 score keeping has to start somewhere.

{image}

Edit: I gave the Deltaglider a go as well. It didn't beat your score, but I'll post it anyway just to give myself a benchmark for my next attempt.

{image}
Thanks for the scores blixel. Scoreboard updated.

----------------EDIT--------------------
My attempt with the standard DG and a normal LOI/PDL. No autopilots.


Last edited by dgatsoulis; 05-14-2013 at 06:07 PM.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #29
Interceptor
Orbinaut
 
Interceptor's Avatar
Default

Hey blixel could you please make a video on how to use the base sync,and the burntime mfd to land perfectly at a base on the moon.Thanks
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #30
blixel
Donator
 
blixel's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
 Hey blixel could you please make a video on how to use the base sync,and the burntime mfd to land perfectly at a base on the moon.Thanks
I'm not an expert with either of those MFD's by any stretch, but I know the basics well enough to provide simple instructions. I'll see about making a video at some point, but for the time being I can sum up BaseSync with just a couple of screenshots. It is very simple to use.









Here is a basic scenario that has the Deltaglider already in orbit around the moon. It is lined up pretty well with Brighton Beach, but there's room for improvement. See if you can figure out how to use BaseSync MFD (using the above screenshots as a reference) to bring the Distance closer to 0. Note that a Distance of 0.00 is nearly impossible to hold, so don't waste fuel by trying to keep the distance that low. As long as the Distance is within a few hundred meters, you are perfectly fine.

When you load BaseSyncMFD, make sure that:
  1. You set the target to Brighton Beach.
  2. You press ENC until the Encounter Mode is Closest Passage.
  3. You press E/D until the Equator/Direct is set to Direct.
  4. Optionally, press NUM and set the number of lines to 1. If you plan to land on the first orbit, there's no need to have all 8 lined displayed.

Code:
BEGIN_DESC
END_DESC

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
  System Sol
  Date MJD 55643.1141885640
END_ENVIRONMENT

BEGIN_FOCUS
  Ship GL-01
END_FOCUS

BEGIN_CAMERA
  TARGET GL-01
  MODE Cockpit
  FOV 45.00
END_CAMERA

BEGIN_HUD
  TYPE Orbit
  REF AUTO
END_HUD

BEGIN_MFD Left
  TYPE Launch
  NAV 0
END_MFD

BEGIN_MFD Right
  TYPE Map
  REF Moon
  BTARGET Brighton Beach
  POS 0.00 0.00
  DISP 1711
END_MFD

BEGIN_PANEL
END_PANEL

BEGIN_SHIPS
GL-01:DeltaGlider
  STATUS Orbiting Moon
  RPOS 110661.53 -1557300.31 -798962.44
  RVEL 1629.954 255.178 -271.509
  AROT -42.28 77.18 -105.55
  RCSMODE 2
  AFCMODE 0
  PRPLEVEL 0:0.411546 1:0.983930
  NAVFREQ 166 484 0 0
  XPDR 0
  TRIM 0.037162
  AAP 0:0 0:0 0:0
END
END_SHIPS


---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatsoulis View Post
 My attempt with the standard DG and a normal LOI/PDL. No autopilots.
Very nice! I'd love to have seen a video of your braking burn and landing. My problem is when I get right there over the pad, I just can't think/respond fast enough to have a nice smooth landing. I need to use hover hold so that I can concentrate on getting the vessel centered over the pad. If I don't use hover hold, then I will end up concentrating so much on the vertical speed that I miss the landing pad.
blixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Quick Links Need Help?


About Us | Rules & Guidelines | TOS Policy | Privacy Policy

Orbiter-Forum is hosted at Orbithangar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2017, Orbiter-Forum.com. All rights reserved.