Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #61
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

So I reviewed 4throck's Saturn IB and I honestly didn't see anything wrong as far as unit conversions go so I'm kind of baffled as to why it's underperforming.

As far as the LEM goes I'm satisfied that, barring some absolute path cleanup, it's done at least enough to complete missions before Apollo 15.

There's a pretty serious VB bug though that I've raised to Fred's attention before: Landed VB vessels don't jettison other VB vessels properly. The LEM ascent stage, for example, spawns on the ground under the descent engine rotated about 45 degrees from horizontal. EVAs do the same too.

Additionally, VB events based on altitude appear to be based on whatever SurfaceMFD is showing instead of the actual altitude from the lunar surface (OrbiterSound has the same problem too). I'm trying to trigger callouts & lunar dust being kicked up from the LEM descent engine based on altitude.

I'd strongly recommend against releasing this until Fred finds time to continue developing VB.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #62
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
 So I reviewed 4throck's Saturn IB and I honestly didn't see anything wrong as far as unit conversions go so I'm kind of baffled as to why it's underperforming.
maybe 4throck is using complex mode? just guessing, I have no idea why the performance could be so different

Quote:
 There's a pretty serious VB bug though that I've raised to Fred's attention before: Landed VB vessels don't jettison other VB vessels properly. The LEM ascent stage, for example, spawns on the ground under the descent engine rotated about 45 degrees from horizontal. EVAs do the same too.
TBH it is more an Orbiter bug, but I can see if I can find a work around.

Quote:
 Additionally, VB events based on altitude appear to be based on whatever SurfaceMFD is showing instead of the actual altitude from the lunar surface (OrbiterSound has the same problem too). I'm trying to trigger callouts & lunar dust being kicked up from the LEM descent engine based on altitude.
VB uses simply the oapi function GetAltitude() but it returns altitude above mean radius. I need to find a way to add a parameter in order to let the user set the reference (mean radius or actual ground).
fred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-14-2019, 02:04 AM   #63
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Thanks Fred! Re: Saturn IB I don't think it's something wrong with MS2015 because the Saturn V/CSM/LEM combo works perfectly. It might be something wrong with the publicly available figures.
Thanked by:
Old 10-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #64
4throck
Enthusiast !

Thanks for the help!

I've checked complex mode and perturbations settings on Orbiter, and they do have an impact. Specially since the LEM is also running out of fuel 5 seconds before landing.

Do you guys have those options activated on Orbiter? I can't remember what's Orbiter default...
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #65
4throck
Enthusiast !

Adding lights to the CSM and playing with with reflections.
Next step is parachutes... never did that on VesselBuilder, let's see how it goes!
Attached Thumbnails
csm.png  
Thanked by:
Old 10-16-2019, 12:15 AM   #66
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4throck View Post
 Thanks for the help!

I've checked complex mode and perturbations settings on Orbiter, and they do have an impact. Specially since the LEM is also running out of fuel 5 seconds before landing.

Do you guys have those options activated on Orbiter? I can't remember what's Orbiter default...
I don't but that would make sense. I'll give it a run.
Thanked by:
Old 10-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #67
4throck
Enthusiast !

From my tests turning those parameters off is not enough for the Saturn Ib to work by the numbers.

So I've settled into using the parameters from 2010 Multistage Saturn Ib. The "by the numbers" figures are commented:

Code:
[STAGE_1]
Height=24.48
Diameter=6.52
EmptyMass=41594  ;38878
FuelMass=407084 ;411953
Thrust=8241630 ;7117155
BurnTime=143 ;150

Code:
[STAGE_2]
Height=17.8
Diameter=6.61
EmptyMass=12900 ;12495
FuelMass=105900 ;105795
Thrust=1031600 ;924349 
BurnTime=475 ;480
Interstage, LES, and fairing have their real weights.
I can get into orbit with about 5% of fuel to spare, under 10x acceleration.
That's good enough for me, and we have some margin for a heavier CSM.

Will update the ZIP when possible

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development