Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Visualization Project Orbiter external graphics development.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #4261
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 Install the whole thing by unzipping into the orbiter folder, and run both benchmark scenarios (activate the fps counter in the modules tab first!).
That package appears to be no-go:

Quote:
000000.000: IMS2:[!WARNING!] font created for non-existing styleset "default". Creating styleset implicitly
000000.000: IMS2:[!WARNING!] IMS2\BENCHMARK\ARIES_BENCHMARK.cfg: No valid module function defined!
000000.000: >>> ERROR: No vessel class configuration file found for:
============================ ERROR: ===========================
IMS2\HABITAT\BN200_BIG_NODE
[Vessel::OpenConfigFile | .\Vessel.cpp | 243]
================================================== =============
000000.000: >>> TERMINATING <<<
I also moved the ARIES_BENCHMARK.cfg from VESSELS/IMS2/BENCHMARK\ to IMS2\BENCHMARK\ to address some other errors.
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #4262
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
000000.000: >>> ERROR: No vessel class configuration file found for:
============================ ERROR: ===========================
IMS2\HABITAT\BN200_BIG_NODE
[Vessel::OpenConfigFile | .\Vessel.cpp | 243]
================================================== =============
Whoops, completely forgott that that node is in there too.

Quote:
I also moved the ARIES_BENCHMARK.cfg from VESSELS/IMS2/BENCHMARK\ to IMS2\BENCHMARK\ to address some other errors.
That shouldn't have been neccessary though. I'll see what's wrong there.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

Right, new package. There really shouldn't be a need to move the Benchmark folder, should work fine as it is.Unless you changed your default vessel folder location, that is, since the path is relative to that.
The only thing that was missing was the node holding all the other meshes together.

Don't worry about the two IMS2 warnings that will pop up, they're normal for this setup (no logic in modules). I do hope this works now. I've tested with what should be a clean install, but can't be 100% sure without redownloading orbiter to try it out...

http://orbiter-forum.com/attachment....7&d=1485591888

Last edited by jedidia; 01-28-2017 at 08:26 AM.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:16 AM   #4263
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
 Whoops, completely forgott that that node is in there too.
That's still no-go:
Quote:
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
Old 01-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #4264
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Darn, looks like attachments get deleted if you just upload them and link to them without explicitly attaching them to a Post. Kinda makes sense, since this isn't supposed to be generic webspace...

Attached it properly this time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip D3D9test.zip (1.10 MB, 20 views)
Thanked by:
Old 01-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #4265
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
 Darn, looks like attachments get deleted if you just upload them and link to them without explicitly attaching them to a Post. Kinda makes sense, since this isn't supposed to be generic webspace...
Ok, Thanks.

I analyzed the scenarios and I can confirm the performance drop in integrated scenario. The docked scenario runs at 3 times higher frame rate with ATI hardware.

The reason for low performance in integrated scenario is that the meshes are converted to a dynamic meshes due to call to EditMeshGroup(), this does not happen in docked scenario. Dynamic meshes are slower to render but faster to read/modify/write.
Thanked by:
Old 01-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #4266
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Huh... any idea why it doesn't seem to happen on the IntelHD card?

Also, is this preventable/configurable somehow? I can see how this would be desirable if you're making a lot of changes in the mesh a lot of times, but basically IMS2 just rotates them to their proper alignement and then doesn't touch them anymore, so less performance when writing to the mesh wouldn't really be an issue.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #4267
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
 Huh... any idea why it doesn't seem to happen on the IntelHD card?
It probably just has one generic vertex buffer type.

Quote:
 Also, is this preventable/configurable somehow?
Right now it's not. But it would be possible to control it using a mesh group flags.

Quote:
 I can see how this would be desirable if you're making a lot of changes in the mesh a lot of times, but basically IMS2 just rotates them to their proper alignement and then doesn't touch them anymore, so less performance when writing to the mesh wouldn't really be an issue.
That would be a job for a matrix but right now there's no way of setting one directly on a mesh. It would be possible to implement gcSetMeshMatrix() function but it wouldn't work with the inline engine.

Conversion to dynamic mesh was implemented due to performance problems in a VC of stock delta glider and some other vessels. Since, they require mesh changes in a per frame basis.
Thanked by:
Old 01-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #4268
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Right now it's not. But it would be possible to control it using a mesh group flags.
That would be great! consider it a feature request.

Quote:
That would be a job for a matrix but right now there's no way of setting one directly on a mesh.
Yeah, EditMeshGroup was pretty much the only possibility since MeshgroupTransform isn't supported by D3D9client.

Last edited by jedidia; 01-28-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:09 AM   #4269
GLS
Addon Developer

I don't know if its just me, but the runway lights at Edwards are being show at about 700m above the runway, and in some scenarios they are still up in the clouds but not above the runway.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-31-2017, 05:15 AM   #4270
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 I don't know if its just me, but the runway lights at Edwards are being show at about 700m above the runway, and in some scenarios they are still up in the clouds but not above the runway.
Yes, I have noticed that too. Something is messing up with the runway lights in Orbiter Beta. However, they appear correctly on Orbiter 2016.

---------- Post added at 07:15 ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 ----------

Quote:
 That would be great! consider it a feature request.
It would work on D3D9 but we don't know if it's a valid solution on DX11, 12 or OpenGL. That would also impact in rendering optimizations like instancing.

If the Orbiter API would allow a user to specify a mesh transform matrix then that would be better solution in my opinion. There's no way of getting that to 2010-P1 but maybe to 2016-P1.
Thanked by:
Old 01-31-2017, 10:19 AM   #4271
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 Yes, I have noticed that too. Something is messing up with the runway lights in Orbiter Beta. However, they appear correctly on Orbiter 2016.
Yes, I forgot to say that I'm using all the latest versions.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #4272
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
It would work on D3D9 but we don't know if it's a valid solution on DX11, 12 or OpenGL. That would also impact in rendering optimizations like instancing.

If the Orbiter API would allow a user to specify a mesh transform matrix then that would be better solution in my opinion. There's no way of getting that to 2010-P1 but maybe to 2016-P1.
In other words, a feature request for the Doctor would be in order. Before I do that, I wanted to ask about MeshgroupTransform. The docs say it's "not yet supported by orbiter_ng", but I remember that it was the method used to rotate the meshes in the original IMS, a long while ago, before it started to support D3D9client.
Using EditMeshGroup became neccessary simply because it was the only option when using a graphics client, and if I'm not entirely mistaken, UCGO does the exact same thing.

So, if MeshgroupTransform were supported by Orbiter_ng, would that solve the problem, or do you explicitly need a matrix setable for the entire mesh? I just want to make sure that I'm not requesting the wrong thing. If MeshgroupTransform could do the job, it would make more sense to request its implementation rather than a completely new method.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #4273
jarmonik
Beta Tester

In D3D9 we have 4 matrices those are used to specify a transform for a mesh group.

a) Vessel's world matrix.
b) Mesh offset matrix.
c) Mesh animation matrix.
d) Group animation matrix.

All these transforms are pre-multiplied by CPU into a final world matrix which is then sent to render hardware for each rendered mesh group.

The D3D7Client also has the same "mesh offset matrix" that is currently used by ShiftMesh() call. So, the only thing that is missing is an API call to fully specify the "mesh offset matrix". That would not cause conflicts with animations applied to the mesh or meshgroups. So, the mesh would retain it's animation behavior. Even if shifted, rotated or scaled.

It would be possible to provide a support for MeshGroupTransform() function by directly setting the "group animation matrix" but it would not work together (at the same time) with meshgroup animations. And I don't really like an idea of adding a fifth matrix into the sequence especially if it's applied in per group basis.

Last edited by jarmonik; 02-02-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 02-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #4274
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Say, is it possible that reflection maps and specular reflections are broken in the latest revision? I have weeded through all my NVidia settings and am confident that there is no configuration for this instance of Orbiter_ng that would somehow suppress them.
Yet they don't show up, and if I run the same tests in an Orbiter 2016 release installation with D3D9client R1, they work without a hitch.

EDIT:

Almost forgot, there also seems to be an issue with down-scaling of cockpit panels that is not present in the inline client. Read from here downward:

http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread....8&postcount=12

Last edited by jedidia; 02-05-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #4275
kuddel
Donator
Default D3D9Client (Beta 25.2) for BETA r61 & 2016

Hello (Fort),

as I am unable to attach files in PMs, I'll post 'em here:

Attached are two builds of the current HEAD revision of D3D9Client trunk (which is Version 25.2).
Both were build with Visual Studio 2012 and should be "XP ready"(TM).
If you really need a Visual Studio 2015 build (I doubt), you have to wait until this evening...
  • D3D9ClientBeta25.2-for2016(r821).zip linked against Orbiter 2016 [160828] (official release)
  • D3D9ClientBeta25.2-forBETA r65(r821).zip linked against Orbiter BETA revision 65 [161125]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort
 Hello kuddel,

You had very kindly realized, last year, a version of the D3D9 client of Jarmonik for users of Windows XP and Orbiter 2010 ( me and also formerly Ripley ), called "XP ready" (TM), this with VS2015. I still use XP ( and I continue testing nightlights ) and I would be interested to see the result of my trys with the last stable official d3d9 client
( http://d3d9client.codeplex.com/ ) and orbiter 2016.

I am a little embarrassed to ask you for this, but have you kept your installation of VS 2015 and if so, would you have some time to realize a new D3D9 XP ready for Orbiter 2016 ?

good day

fort
..hope this helps,
/Kuddel
Attached Files
File Type: zip D3D9ClientBeta25.2-for2016(r821).zip (1.77 MB, 18 views)
File Type: zip D3D9ClientBeta25.2-forBETA r65(r821).zip (1.77 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by kuddel; 02-06-2017 at 08:46 AM. Reason: forgot greetings
kuddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project

Tags
d3d9client, graphicsclient